What are the real (and unavoidable) private school advantages?

theguru

Fastbreak and stickymitts,

I just sent a PM to oldschoolwrestler, in which I told him that the reason I read most of these types of threads is because they reveal which members can take a position, then defend it with rational thought (and coherent statements).

On the other hand, it also reveals those that can't... ;)

Frances

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just sent a PM to oldschoolwrestler, in which I told him that the reason I read most of these types of threads is because they reveal which members can take a position, then defend it with rational thought (and coherent statements).

Frances

Where do I come in on your scale of rational thinking? :lol:

Frances

Since I didn't receive a PM, I must be one of the irrational, incoherent of which you speak. :cry:

:lol:

Dang it...I'll suppress any thoughts of posting in threads of this nature in order of slowing the dumbying process. :irked:

I was referring to my knowledge of where I come down on Frances' scale of rational/irrational posters, not you... :lol:

That's why I don't need to ask.

Stickymitts -

I never really started a "scale of rational thinking" - I just read posts in controversial threads to get a better grip on who can defend their positions, and who has to resort to "cause I believe it's right" or "my values are better than your values"...

You may have hit on a great idea, though. Maybe we could start some system wherein we rate each member on his/her ability to support their positions (regardless of their stance on a given issue) with your "scale of rational thinking". We could rate the important posts on a scale of 1 to 10, and see where we all end up. Of course, you couldn't rate your own posts, and it would be on the honor system.

Then again, it might be a little embarassing for those of us with a rating that is lower than the number of eyelets in a pair of penny loafers.

Rockmom -

We share the same side of many debates, but not all of them. Then again, I'd be worried if someone agreed with my views 100% of the time. One thing you do NOT lack is the ability to present your views in a clear manner, with solid reasoning intact.

Thanks,

Frances

That's probably true about Male and Manual, but the point is hardly moot. It's a huge advantage over 98 percent of the public schools in Kentucky.

The rest of the state can't draw the best and brightest from a county the size of Jefferson and send back the ones you don't want.

Very true. What does Jefferson County have....1/4 of the state's population, or a million people? That is a huge advantage. Many counties in my area are one high school counties. No one is turned away. It's the law. As a matter of fact, it's almost impossible to expell some of the really bad eggs, those that make it difficult to teach a class. I'd say at most private schools a trouble maker is out the door faster than he or she can ask "why, what have I done"?

And to have the ability, if they so desire, to take the best and brightest and weed the rest out, that's a big advantage too.

Stickymitts -

I never really started a "scale of rational thinking" - I just read posts in controversial threads to get a better grip on who can defend their positions, and who has to resort to "cause I believe it's right" or "my values are better than your values"...

You may have hit on a great idea, though. Maybe we could start some system wherein we rate each member on his/her ability to support their positions (regardless of their stance on a given issue) with your "scale of rational thinking". We could rate the important posts on a scale of 1 to 10, and see where we all end up. Of course, you couldn't rate your own posts, and it would be on the honor system.

Then again, it might be a little embarassing for those of us with a rating that is lower than the number of eyelets in a pair of penny loafers.

Rockmom -

We share the same side of many debates, but not all of them. Then again, I'd be worried if someone agreed with my views 100% of the time. One thing you do NOT lack is the ability to present your views in a clear manner, with solid reasoning intact.

Thanks,

Frances

I'll take that as low. :irked: BTW, the "scale of rational thinking" idea is opening a can of worms that I don't think any of us want to see. ;) :lol:

Would that be a public or a private forum?

:lol: