Does Highlands...

jbwill2

A big point only being included peripherally here is the size of the schools. CF has posted enrollment numbers. The point I would make concerning HHS being champs of Cincinnati is this. Highlands won the 5A schedule. St. X. played a 6A schedule. That is where I agree with Cols._Wear_Blue. St. X. played a much more difficult "bracket" than Highlands and it isn't the same as the state playoffs because HHS played in a different bracket/class than St. X. So I ask you the question, what would Highlands record be if they played St. X's schedule? If HHS had a loss, would that change your perception?

Now let me shift this a little more to perhaps give CF and the naysayers something to consider. I have been a huge supporter of HHS since prior to the season, when I started a thread asking if this is the greatest HHS team ever, because I thought they were going to be that good. I do think this is arguably the greatest HHS team ever. However, I think if Highlands played St. X.'s schedule they would not be undefeated. With the injuries to key people through the season, HHS has been able to work through it because of their schedule. If HHS had to face Moeller without Collinsworth and Bardo, they would be in serious trouble. I have a hard time seeing HHS beat St. Ignatius without those two. Bottom line for me, this HHS team is great and can play with any school in Cincinnati. But I would agree with CF and others that they would not be undefeated if they played in the GCL or played St. X.'s schedule. But, guess what - they don't need to be. St. X has two losses and is #1 in Cincinnati. And the only team in the area they lost to was HHS. And that gives HHS does have a right to argue they are the best in the area. I know I went in circles a little on this but I just wanted to put a little different spin on some of the arguments above.

A claim that Highlands would go undefeated if they played X's schedule is a much, much harder claim to support. I totally agree with you for the reason stated. X's schedule was truly awesome this year. While Highlands has much better than normal depth this year (as shown by their ability to effectively two platoon and their ability continue to win with Bardo not playing QB and Collinsworth out at RB and beat Ryle by almost the same margin that they beat Ryle with Bardo at QB and Collinsworth at RB), it's fair to say they still wouldn't have the needed depth to run through X's schedule undefeated. Trust me, I wouldn't be making strong posts supporting a claim that Highlands could do so. But like you say, they don't need to be undefeated to make the claim that they are the best team in Cincy. Its a completely different issue.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about a "Beat St. X (again)" shirt??? :D

I like it.

Ky State Champs (again for the 19th time); Beat St. X (again); Beat CovCath (again); Mythical Greater Cincinnati Champions; and Mythical Kentucky Champs All Classes.

Put all that on a tee shirt and I may be the only one large enough to wear the tee shirt. :clap:

My head is swimming with all the debate but I have to throw this out. Would this mythical championship be akin to the BCS where the top two teams play rather than a tournament?

There's an old legal saying: if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with, well you know. :thumb:

Edited by Ram

I like it.

Ky State Champs (again for the 19th time); Beat St. X (again); Beat CovCath (again); Mythical Greater Cincinnati Champions; and Mythical Kentucky Champs All Classes.

Put all that on a tee shirt and I may be the only one large enough to wear the tee shirt. :clap:

The good thing about the Mythical Northern Kentucky Champion t-shirts would be you could sell them at Highlands and at Simon Kenton. :D

Yes. They can claim it. It's mythical...if you have any decent support, which they do with the win over Cincy St. X, then you can claim a mythical championship.

If the playoffs go as expected, then I also believe Highlands can claim the mythical KY state championship in addition to the real 5A title. Highlands, Trinity and St. X are generally regarded as the best teams in the state...Trinity and X both lost to Cincy St. X. Highlands beat them.

So, the way I see it, if the Bluebirds take care of business, they should have one real championship and two mythical ones to tweet about.

I'm a good guy, so I am not even going to begin to dissect the insanity in this post. It is, for a lack of better wording, mind-numbingly painful.

Let's make it easy...I agree. Highlands can have all the "mythical" titles they want. Congrats on those.

Oh, and BTW...who says St. Xavier is #1 in Cincy? A poll by a bunch of coaches who have their asst's fill out the form for the enquirer and have never seen most of the teams play? Ok.

-CardinalsFan

You may be right about next year. I don't know and you don't either in spite of your repeated claims of definitely knowing what Dale thinks. I find it somewhat laughable and sad at the same time that you claim to know so much about how Dale thinks. But hey, if that's what it takes for you to feel good about Colerain, go for it.

I don't claim to know what Dale thinks on anything other than his feelings on playing Colerain, this year...that's it. What cereal he likes to which music he hates is beyond me. But I'm working on it. :p

I will acknowledge that Colerain is a very difficult team for Highlands to prepare for. They run a true option offense that we do not face any where else in Ky that I know of. Beating the option offense requires assignment football defense, assignments that we don't regularly use. So to beat Colerain, we'd have to spend a lot of time developing and working on assignments that we wouldn't use throughout the rest of the year. If Dale is ducking Colerain as you repeatedly claim and imply, I'd say that would be smart coaching by Dale for that very reason.

My point EXACTLY! What does Mueller have to gain in facing a team with a style of offense that he may never see again? I don't need "mythical" games to see how Highlands as fared against Colerain over the past several years. I have a 2-0 record to stand on that answers that question.

Since you've played the "I know what Dale thinks" game, I'll do it too: maybe Dale would have rather played X this year than Colerain because he figured that to be nationally ranked, he needed to beat a Cincy team that at least qualified for the Ohio playoffs (okay, that was mean. I'm sorry. :clap:)

And if he knew before the season started that Colerain was going to have their streak of 10 consescutive playoff appearances end, then he should be making our schedule for us because he would have been freaking Nostradamus! :notworthy:

As for the numbers posted, glad you finally start comparing apples to apples and using the 9, 10 and 11 grade boy numbers for the Ky schools, which makes Highlands win over X even more impressive, doesn't it.

Yes it does. Which is why it only happens once every generation.

Why doesn't Colerain schedule X or Trinity instead of Manual? Probably because Coach Bolden does not want any thing to do with X or Trinity next year.... and that's a wise move on his part. :D

I don't know whether or not Colerain has reached out to T or X. I can certainly find out though. My guess is Colerain did and they were rebuffed. Public vs. Private I would hazard a guess.

Are we having fun yet? :banana:

ALWAYS!!!

:dancingpa

-CardinalsFan

It's an absolute joke for HHS, their fans, or anyone in NKY to attempt to lay claim to the mythical "Greater Cincy Championship."

It makes the whole area look uninformed & arrogant.

Highlands is a very good team. They're the odds on favorite to win the state championship in KY. Enjoy it, but don't gloat in it. They beat ONE Cincinnati team.

But they beat all the other NKY teams....again...:dancingpa

The good thing about the Mythical Northern Kentucky Champion t-shirts would be you could sell them at Highlands and at Simon Kenton. :D

True, but only Highlands can honestly say that they finished first in the final Enquirer NKY coaches poll, ahead of number-two Simon Kenton. I am not aware of any poll or rankings list that has Simon Kenton listed ahead of Highlands in NKY at the end of the season.

Heck, if Highlands goes on to win state with an undefeated record, they can claim to be mythical national champs, but the team that finishes first in the USA Today Super 25 will have a much, much stronger claim to that title than Highlands would.

And frankly this is why mythical titles are so much more interesting than real titles... look at all the debate we get to have!

I don't claim to know what Dale thinks on anything other than his feelings on playing Colerain, this year...that's it. What cereal he likes to which music he hates is beyond me. But I'm working on it. :p

My point EXACTLY! What does Mueller have to gain in facing a team with a style of offense that he may never see again? I don't need "mythical" games to see how Highlands as fared against Colerain over the past several years. I have a 2-0 record to stand on that answers that question.

And if he knew before the season started that Colerain was going to have their streak of 10 consescutive playoff appearances end, then he should be making our schedule for us because he would have been freaking Nostradamus! :notworthy:

Yes it does. Which is why it only happens once every generation.

I don't know whether or not Colerain has reached out to T or X. I can certainly find out though. My guess is Colerain did and they were rebuffed. Public vs. Private I would hazard a guess.

ALWAYS!!!

:dancingpa

-CardinalsFan

1. He likes Wheaties. Breakfast of Champions. Probably can't find those in any Krogers in Colerain Township this year. Well they may have the mini boxes. Colerain did win the GMC. :D

2. Be thankful that the C Train didn't play Highlands this year or it would have been 2-1 and you would have less to gloat about.

3. Given the loss of all the O linemen, it wasn't too hard to predict that Colerain would struggle this year. Maybe Dale should get in the prediction business: he sure called this one right. Beating Colerain this year wouldn't have helped us at all in our quest for high national rankings.

4. Glad it happened this generation. With a son on Highlands team, it's the only one I care about right now.

5. Now it's X and T in addition to Highlands ducking Colerain. Later on in this thread, it will be the Minnesota Vikings afraid of Colerain.

6. It has been fun. Probably not as much fun as attending your wife's family reunions. If Highlands doesn't have a shot of beating Colerain ever, what are CovCath's chances? Has to make you popular with her brothers. :banana:

1. He likes Wheaties. Breakfast of Champions. Probably can't find those in any Krogers in Colerain Township this year. Well they may have the mini boxes. Colerain did win the GMC. :D

2. Be thankful that the C Train didn't play Highlands this year or it would have been 2-1 and you would have less to gloat about.

3. Given the loss of all the O linemen, it wasn't too hard to predict that Colerain would struggle this year. Maybe Dale should get in the prediction business: he sure called this one right. Beating Colerain this year wouldn't have helped us at all in our quest for high national rankings.

4. Glad it happened this generation. With a son on Highlands team, it's the only one I care about right now.

5. Now it's X and T in addition to Highlands ducking Colerain. Later on in this thread, it will be the Minnesota Vikings afraid of Colerain.

6. It has been fun. Probably not as much fun as attending your wife's family reunions. If Highlands doesn't have a shot of beating Colerain ever, what are CovCath's chances? Has to make you popular with her brothers. :banana:

:lol:This is good stuff!!!!

:popcorn: