Does Highlands...

jbwill2

It makes the whole area look uninformed & arrogant.
No, it actually does neither one...when taken in the proper light. Highlands and its fans have had to put up with a lot of harassment over the years from the Cincinnati schools, because they dared to take on the very best competition Cincinnati has to offer. We've come up just short, time after time -- and boy, have we been made to hear about it. So now, we're simply taking the opportunity to give it back to them a little bit. Not a touch of arrogance involved. It's others who are getting worked up over the whole thing. :D

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't care either. They beat St. X - great! But now on to the more important business of a state championship. We need to get past this chest thumping subject.

There you go! :thumb: I hope (and believe) that the senior leadership on this team feels the same way and keeps the team focused on the goal yet to be achieved.

I don't care either. They beat St. X - great! But now on to the more important business of a state championship. We need to get past this chest thumping subject.

This isn't a "chest thumping" subject, it's an honest question. Are you suggesting that Ryan Ernst is a "chest thumping" Highlands supporter, because he is the one who brought up the subject in his blog.

It's a rare occurrence when a NKY team can honestly be in the conversation for best team in the Greater Cincinnati area, and this year seems to be one of those times. I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss the subject. We discuss every other possible subject remotely related to KY football on this site... why not this subject????

It's an absolute joke for HHS, their fans, or anyone in NKY to attempt to lay claim to the mythical "Greater Cincy Championship."

It makes the whole area look uninformed & arrogant.

Highlands is a very good team. They're the odds on favorite to win the state championship in KY. Enjoy it, but don't gloat in it. They beat ONE Cincinnati team.

What in the world are you talking about??? Uninformed??? Arrogant??? I suppose that USA Today is also uninformed and arrogant when it comes to NKY/Cincy football.

No, it actually does neither one...when taken in the proper light. Highlands and its fans have had to put up with a lot of harassment over the years from the Cincinnati schools, because they dared to take on the very best competition Cincinnati has to offer. We've come up just short, time after time -- and boy, have we been made to hear about it. So now, we're simply taking the opportunity to give it back to them a little bit. Not a touch of arrogance involved. It's others who are getting worked up over the whole thing. :D

Yes, it does both.

Covington Catholic, too, has to hear a lot of the same stuff. The fact of the matter is, NKY schools cannot compete with the GCL schools on a regular basis. When we do compete & win a game, do we really have the right to brag about it?

If HHS had beaten Colerain, or Moeller, or Elder in addition to St. X, then this thread might have a point. Instead, they only beat St. X. Sure, that's a great win, but you'd think a program as rich with tradition as HHS would not be going nuts over it.

It makes all of KY look bad when one of our best thinks that they deserve a mythical crown over an entire city (which is composed of some other pretty good football teams) for beating ONE team.

This isn't a "chest thumping" subject, it's an honest question. Are you suggesting that Ryan Ernst is a "chest thumping" Highlands supporter, because he is the one who brought up the subject in his blog.

It's a rare occurrence when a NKY team can honestly be in the conversation for best team in the Greater Cincinnati area, and this year seems to be one of those times. I don't think it's unreasonable to discuss the subject. We discuss every other possible subject remotely related to KY football on this site... why not this subject????

This thread was on BGP yesterday before getting removed. It's not a coincidence that a lot of BGP's subjects end up on Ernst's blog (or in his articles) the following day. I'm not bashing Ryan, because I love what he brings to the table, I'm just sayin...

What in the world are you talking about??? Uninformed??? Arrogant??? I suppose that USA Today is also uninformed and arrogant when it comes to NKY/Cincy football.

I don't really understand the USA Today comment, but I'll go on.

I feel that it makes NKY, and the rest of KY look bad, when one of our best football teams (and programs) starts talking about how they deserve the mythical Greater Cincinnati crown because they beat St. X.

You don't see any GCL teams jumping for joy when they beat HHS, CCH, Trinity or Louisville St. X.

It's inaccurate to suggest that HHS would beat all of the other teams. They may...or they may not.

Heck, I could maybe justify this thread had St. X gone undefeated in Cincy - but they didn't.

Thanks for proving my point... St. X did go undefeated in Cincy... they beat every other area team they played, other than Highlands. So, I guess this thread maybe got justified in your mind, huh???:D

Thanks for proving my point... St. X did go undefeated in Cincy... they beat every other area team they played, other than Highlands. So, I guess this thread maybe got justified in your mind, huh???:D

I knew I shouldn't have said that. :lol:

I thought St. X lost to Moeller. I guess that's what you get for reading BGP at 3 a.m. on a Friday night. :D

I don't really understand the USA Today comment, but I'll go on.

USA Today has Highlands ranked 9th in the US, and no Cincy team is ranked higher than that. I'd say that USA Today must consider Highlands better than the other Cincy teams, or else they would have a Cincy team ranked higher at this point.

USA Today has Highlands ranked 9th in the US, and no Cincy team is ranked higher than that. I'd say that USA Today must consider Highlands better than the other Cincy teams, or else they would have a Cincy team ranked higher at this point.

Rankings do not equate to championships.

For HHS to win this mythical "Championship" shouldn't they have to play Elder? Shouldn't they have to play Colerain? Shouldn't they have to play Moeller?

Maybe they don't have to play them all, but they should at least have to play MORE THAN ONE. And one of them should be on the road.

I understand everyone's excitement. It's good for Highlands, it's good for NKY and ultimately, it's good for Kentucky football. But let's not get carried away.

Mythical: existing only in the imagination. So, I guess it would be safe to say some of us need treatment? :eek:

I would have to go along with the arrogant comment. Perhaps if we played in the GCL... I would feel differently. We are not even #1 in the state according to the LIT ratings so how can we be number 1 in Cincinnati?

IMO, we are number 1. The boys will bring home the smiles and trophy from Bowling Green as a token of their hard work and effort. That, my friends, won't be mythical or magical... just factual. And now for my shot of Woodford for my ailment.

Mythical: existing only in the imagination. So, I guess it would be safe to say some of us need treatment? :eek:

I would have to go along with the arrogant comment. Perhaps if we played in the GCL... I would feel differently. We are not even #1 in the state according to the LIT ratings so how can we be number 1 in Cincinnati?

IMO, we are number 1. The boys will bring home the smiles and trophy from Bowling Green as a token of their hard work and effort. That, my friends, won't be mythical or magical... just factual. And now for my shot of Woodford for my ailment.

Cincinnati is NOT in KY, Streak! :laugh:

Yes, it does both.

Covington Catholic, too, has to hear a lot of the same stuff. The fact of the matter is, NKY schools cannot compete with the GCL schools on a regular basis. When we do compete & win a game, do we really have the right to brag about it?

Nobody said anything about a regular basis. We're talking about one season. How can you say a team is not the top team in any particular season, simply because they haven't been so on a regular basis? If that were true, there'd be a whole lot of teams giving back their trophies. :idunno:

To the Highlands fans (me, anyway), this was all a good-natured jab at the mighty GCL and their rather "outspoken" fans. Right now, it seems you're the only one taking this a bit too seriously. :cool: