Have You Ever Had To Put A Pet To Sleep?

futurecoach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know several people who have dogs missing a limb as a result of being hit by a car or cancer and had it removed. If removing the leg will prevent the cancer from spreading and he's other wise healthy, I'd say have the leg removed, he'll hop but will still be able to live a happy life.

Honestly if it was just that then it would be an easy decision, because we would just have it removed. However he has that bad left leg from when he got hit by a car six years ago. He already walks with a limp with that leg, and really never puts pressure on it. So I just don't see him being able to move around much at all since he would be missing one leg and have a really bad back leg too. I know I had thought about still trying it, but it just don't seem right to have him go through the surgery and getting it removed and going through all of that. Then possibly having to put him to sleep a week or two later if he can't move around at all with it, it just wouldn't be fair to him I don't think. See its times like these when it would be nice if a dog could actually talk, and let you know what they would actually want ya know.

Thanks for all of your all's support. I am sorry that you all have had to go through it before too. I think we have decided that we definitely will be putting him to sleep this Friday.

No one knows your dog better than you. Dog and owner always has a connection that can't be explained. If you gave it at least one day to be on your mind I'm sure you made the right decision.

Couple months ago we had to put our Daschund Rusty down with cancer. He was 14 yrs old. My wife and I were both there with him when the vet administered it. Our thoughts were that we wanted to be there with him to the end and wanted him to see us there. It was tough and we cried like babys but we knew it was time, as will you. Our vet told us that we were doing the right thing and reassured us that we were good parents to him. He even teared up with us as well.

God Bless you for what your experiencing. My child is alive and I'm thankful. Only losing her could hurt worst.

I know several people who have dogs missing a limb as a result of being hit by a car or cancer and had it removed. If removing the leg will prevent the cancer from spreading and he's other wise healthy, I'd say have the leg removed, he'll hop but will still be able to live a happy life.

:thumb::thumb: I've seen happy dogs with 3 limbs.

Couple months ago we had to put our Daschund Rusty down with cancer. He was 14 yrs old. My wife and I were both there with him when the vet administered it. Our thoughts were that we wanted to be there with him to the end and wanted him to see us there. It was tough and we cried like babys but we knew it was time, as will you. Our vet told us that we were doing the right thing and reassured us that we were good parents to him. He even teared up with us as well.

God Bless you for what your experiencing. My child is alive and I'm thankful. Only losing her could hurt worst.

That makes me extremely sad to read. I have a dachshund he is part of my family. I love that dog so much that I'm not sure what I will do when he passes.

I am so sorry that your family is going through this with your dog. You've been given great advice. Your vet will be able to advise you on the process if your family chooses this. We have personally experienced the process twice in the past two years. We were with our pets during the procedure until the end to make sure they were loved and treated with dignity and respect. My prayers are with your dog and family during this time.

I had a friend who knew he had to put his old dog down. He went through the drive-through at McDonalds and bought him a cheeseburger on the way to the vet.

It is a very tough thing to do, but deep down you know what needs to be done. Doing the right thing is sometimes very, very hard.

I had a friend who knew he had to put his old dog down. He went through the drive-through at McDonalds and bought him a cheeseburger on the way to the vet.

It is a very tough thing to do, but deep down you know what needs to be done. Doing the right thing is sometimes very, very hard.

Buried mine with a burrito from Taco Bell. He loved those things.

I had to have a leg taken off of one of my dogs. It took time, but he learned to walk and run. Eventually, he was able to easily outrun other dogs. It was his hind leg.

Then a dog came to our house with a missing front leg and it was just as successful.

I understand your pain. It would be easier if he acted sick, but knowing that he is still just the same ole dog you have had for years, it makes it seem like you're just putting him down for no reason.

Of course, it's your decision, but if it was up to me, I would have the leg removed. However, I would ask the vet first how he would be after that considering he does have a bad rear leg.