Mark Story: Embarassing Kentucky Coaches

Log Mountain Boy

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know why I asked you about Piggie and Coach K. :D

I was just pointing out the way the leap is made about Coach Cal's guilt and not some other coaches who seem to be given a free pass. (I could have also used the John Wooden/Sam Gilbert angle but you aren't a UCLA fan. :lol:)

Yeah, I knew.:sssh:

I was trying to be naive and innocent like Calipari.:D

When Pitino was here, he didn't do anything wrong, right? So why do we get the black eye for something he did after he left?

I think when the article stated "embarrassing Kentucky coaches" it was talking about the state as a whole and not UK. It's just an assumption on my part, but I am thinking if they wanted to call out UK, they would have used UK or University of Kentucky instead of just Kentucky. It's a great play on words, though. Especially when there are still some of the UK fan base that would welcome Rick back with open arms.

True, it doesn't make it true, but I am sure Calipari is the naive, innocent coach that you want him to be. :rolleyes::puke:

Duke got a pass from the media. Not hardly. That statement is UK hate and jealousy. No school has ever gotten a pass from the media. The media are the ones reminding everyone of the "Duke scandal".

But, let's break it down, just for fun. Is it Duke's fault that Coach K's reputation gives him the benefit of the doubt? :walk:Is it Duke's fault that Coach K has the reputation as an upstanding member of the NCAA, ambassador to the game of basketball and the reigning coach of the Gold Medal winning USA Basketball team?:p I know most of you hate Duke, but admit it, you'd love to have Coach K at UK. You know it's true.:ylsuper:

As I have said before, Calipari is blasted because the only times he has gone to the Final Four, he went with illegal players. It's that simple. Once he makes it with legal players and it doesn't get vacated, then he may get a little more respect. Until then, what in his coaching record says he is as good a coach as Coach K, Lute Olsen, Jim Calhoun, Jim Valvano, etc? He is clearly not on their level.:sssh:

Yes, Duke did indeed get a pass from the media and the NCAA. Don't act like they aren't the proverbial teacher's pet with the NCAA.

He was convicted of wrongful death in civil court, no?

As has already been mentioned, Cal hasn't even been accused of anything (other than by the media and opposing fans).

Civil court is not the same as criminal court, and you know it. Is it really that important for you to defend Calipari at all costs to the point you try and be an OJ apologist? Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And you guys are dancing with the devil.

True, it doesn't make it true, but I am sure Calipari is the naive, innocent coach that you want him to be. :rolleyes::puke:

Duke got a pass from the media. Not hardly. That statement is UK hate and jealousy. No school has ever gotten a pass from the media. The media are the ones reminding everyone of the "Duke scandal".

But, let's break it down, just for fun. Is it Duke's fault that Coach K's reputation gives him the benefit of the doubt? :walk:Is it Duke's fault that Coach K has the reputation as an upstanding member of the NCAA, ambassador to the game of basketball and the reigning coach of the Gold Medal winning USA Basketball team?:p I know most of you hate Duke, but admit it, you'd love to have Coach K at UK. You know it's true.:ylsuper:

As I have said before, Calipari is blasted because the only times he has gone to the Final Four, he went with illegal players. It's that simple. Once he makes it with legal players and it doesn't get vacated, then he may get a little more respect. Until then, what in his coaching record says he is as good a coach as Coach K, Lute Olsen, Jim Calhoun, Jim Valvano, etc? He is clearly not on their level.:sssh:

I for one have no idea if Calipari is innocent or not. But I legitimately see him not knowing anything about Derrick Rose's test scores or Camby getting money. Now to act like Calipari isn't a good coach based on what happened is silly to me. He has coached a 2 different schools and both schools were bad before he got there and he built the programs up. I am not saying he is a better coach than Coach K or anything like that, but I believe he is the right coach for UK at this time. He seems like a perfect fit. I just can't justify doing what you are doing and thats judging a coach when he has never been charged of doing anything wrong.

I for one have no idea if Calipari is innocent or not. But I legitimately see him not knowing anything about Derrick Rose's test scores or Camby getting money. Now to act like Calipari isn't a good coach based on what happened is silly to me. He has coached a 2 different schools and both schools were bad before he got there and he built the programs up. I am not saying he is a better coach than Coach K or anything like that, but I believe he is the right coach for UK at this time. He seems like a perfect fit. I just can't justify doing what you are doing and thats judging a coach when he has never been charged of doing anything wrong.

That could just be a personality flaw of mine. I judge all coaches based on their body of work. The only good things about his body of work have both been taken away from him. I agree, he could have legitimately not known about Rose or Camby, but what bothers me about both of those issues is that if I was a coach of a D-1 school, I guarantee I would know everything about each player I was recruiting and I would know even more about the kids that are on my team. No way would I have let either of these incidents happen under my watch. I assume that if I would run my team like that then Calipari would do the same since he is getting paid to do it and I am just a measly opinionated mechanic. If he legitimately did not know about Rose or Camby, then UK is bound to have a Final Four or Title vacated in the near future. If he didn't know about it before, then how is he going to be able to fix the problem that has followed him throughout his career? Plus, if he had been to more than the two Final Fours that have been vacated, I probably wouldn't even be posting in this thread, but whether he knew about Camby and Rose or not, his best years came with the use of ineligible players.

Yes, Duke did indeed get a pass from the media and the NCAA. Don't act like they aren't the proverbial teacher's pet with the NCAA.

From the NCAA, maybe, from the media, no. All media outlets reported on it, the NCAA ruled on it and Duke wasn't punished. The guy from yahoo reported on it years later, the NCAA investigated it again, and decided not to punish Duke. Again. I am sure there are plenty of articles talking about Duke and the "conspiracy theory" with the NCAA and officials. Especially in the Lexington and Chapel Hill areas. I guess Coach K was given a slap on a wrist because it was an aberration that he would even be involved in a mess like that. Calipari has walked and played in the gray area his whole career. Are the cases similar? Yes, very similar, but there is nothing I can do about it. However, Coach K and Calipari are two way different coaches with two way different approaches to the game. There's nothing I can do about the NCAA looking the other way with Duke and punishing Calipari and the schools he worked at and then left when the going got rough. At least he moved up when the going got rough. Some coaches aren't so lucky.

Duke got(my bad, gets) a free pass and they are the teacher's pet to the NCAA. They should have gotten their 1999 Final Four run vacated. Are their anymore things related to Duke I need to agree on?:isurrender::deadhorse:

From the NCAA, maybe, from the media, no. All media outlets reported on it, the NCAA ruled on it and Duke wasn't punished. The guy from yahoo reported on it years later, the NCAA investigated it again, and decided not to punish Duke. Again. I am sure there are plenty of articles talking about Duke and the "conspiracy theory" with the NCAA and officials. Especially in the Lexington and Chapel Hill areas. I guess Coach K was given a slap on a wrist because it was an aberration that he would even be involved in a mess like that. Calipari has walked and played in the gray area his whole career. Are the cases similar? Yes, very similar, but there is nothing I can do about it. However, Coach K and Calipari are two way different coaches with two way different approaches to the game. There's nothing I can do about the NCAA looking the other way with Duke and punishing Calipari and the schools he worked at and then left when the going got rough. At least he moved up when the going got rough. Some coaches aren't so lucky.

Duke got(my bad, gets) a free pass and they are the teacher's pet to the NCAA. They should have gotten their 1999 Final Four run vacated. Are their anymore things related to Duke I need to agree on?:isurrender::deadhorse:

What great list of "gray areas" are you talking about? Camby taking money from an agent? Rose cheating? Neither of which Calipari was proven to be involved BTW.

That's two I suppose. What's the others? Maybe I'm missing something here.

What great list of "gray areas" are you talking about? Camby taking money from an agent? Rose cheating? Neither of which Calipari was proven to be involved BTW.

That's two I suppose. What's the others? Maybe I'm missing something here.

World Wide Wes, his alliances and his ties to Calipari and incoming recruits is a gray area all in itself.

Other than that, I don't have a list, just the speculation brought forth by the media, which may or may not be unfounded. You say and believe he's done nothing wrong ever, I, like Jim Schue believe where there's smoke there is fire.

Civil court is not the same as criminal court, and you know it. Is it really that important for you to defend Calipari at all costs to the point you try and be an OJ apologist? Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. And you guys are dancing with the devil.

Couldn't agree more...

I don't see how Story is hating on Calipari. All he did was mention facts surrounding Calipari. UK fans are sensitive and protective when they actually like the coach in place.

:laugh: And I suppose no other fans are supportive of their coach under any circumstances. These anti UK slurs are really starting to humor me.