Mark Story: Embarassing Kentucky Coaches

Log Mountain Boy

World Wide Wes, his alliances and his ties to Calipari and incoming recruits is a gray area all in itself.

Other than that, I don't have a list, just the speculation brought forth by the media, which may or may not be unfounded. You say and believe he's done nothing wrong ever, I, like Jim Schue believe where there's smoke there is fire.

Thats the thing that bothers me. Some of the media have a dislike for Calipari and criticize him at every turn (Pat Forde and Mark Story are 2 good examples). If it comes out that he has actually done something wrong then its time for the media to criticize him as much as they want.

As for knowing everything about every player I believe thats almost impossible. I remember when I was in high school we had a kid on our team get in trouble with drugs and no one had any idea he would do such a thing. Also when Alex Groza and Ralph Beard got in trouble for taking money Adolph Rupp was certain that wasn't happening. Once it came out they did he didn't talk to them for 20 years. Its easy to criticize Coach Calipari until you walk a few miles in his shoes.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats the thing that bothers me. Some of the media have a dislike for Calipari and criticize him at every turn (Pat Forde and Mark Story are 2 good examples). If it comes out that he has actually done something wrong then its time for the media to criticize him as much as they want.

As for knowing everything about every player I believe thats almost impossible. I remember when I was in high school we had a kid on our team get in trouble with drugs and no one had any idea he would do such a thing. Also when Alex Groza and Ralph Beard got in trouble for taking money Adolph Rupp was certain that wasn't happening. Once it came out they did he didn't talk to them for 20 years. Its easy to criticize Coach Calipari until you walk a few miles in his shoes.

Let me ask you a question: If, when you were a child, you were hanging around with a bad crowd, wouldn't people tell you about it? Shouldn't they tell you about it?

Calipari has shown himself repeatedly to be hanging out with a bad crowd. The media tells him about it.

Let me ask you a question: If, when you were a child, you were hanging around with a bad crowd, wouldn't people tell you about it? Shouldn't they tell you about it?

Calipari has shown himself repeatedly to be hanging out with a bad crowd. The media tells him about it.

Who is Calipari involved in this bad crowd? Is he hanging out with some boys smoking pot behind the bleachers? :lol: The only person I have heard about is World Wide Wes. Has WWW ever been convicted or charged with wrong doing?

Its like with Pitino. I have heard rumors for years about him having a few women on the side and it has came out now that he cheated on his wife once. If I had to guess I would say that this was a regular occurance, but I have no proof and if I was a media member I wouldn't go around saying that. Yet with Calipari he is not being given the benefit of the doubt by most.

World Wide Wes, his alliances and his ties to Calipari and incoming recruits is a gray area all in itself.

Other than that, I don't have a list, just the speculation brought forth by the media, which may or may not be unfounded. You say and believe he's done nothing wrong ever, I, like Jim Schue believe where there's smoke there is fire.

The error in Mark Story's article is lumping Calipari's behavior with that of Pitino and Gillispie. Even if Cal is guilty of wrongdoing (which I personally believe he is), you cannot possibly compare his act to Ricky P & Billy G. From my vantage point, Story has disliked the Cal hire from the get-go, and this article was nothing more than another unfair attempt of his to express those ill feelings.

If people were really honest, what Cal does is done by most every successful coach in the game. Whether you want to admit that or not, it's true. Most every successful coach bends or deliberately breaks the rules.

There aren't that many that cheat on their wives & finance abortions. And there aren't that many with multiple DUI convictions.

I'm not justifying Cal's shady ways by any means. But it is not fair to compare what he did w/ Pitino & Gillispie. It's not even close, and Mark Story knows it.

Best point of the whole story and I haven't even finished it yet.

The name missing from that list, Tubby Smith, was a law-abiding, NCAA-rules-following class act who won 76 percent of his games and a national title.

No wonder we couldn't wait to get that guy out of here.

You talk about people being naive if they think Cal didn't know about Rose. I fully agree with you. But you must also be naive if you (along w/ Mark Story) believe Tubby Smith kept all the rules. Remember the Randolph Morris "immaculate fax" situation? :idunno:

You talk about people being naive if they think Cal didn't know about Rose. I fully agree with you. But you must also be naive if you (along w/ Mark Story) believe Tubby Smith kept all the rules. Remember the Randolph Morris "immaculate fax" situation? :idunno:

True, but Tubby never did anything to embarrass the University which is what I thought the whole point of the story was.

:laugh: And I suppose no other fans are supportive of their coach under any circumstances. These anti UK slurs are really starting to humor me.

I hope you are laughing if that day comes when UK has to vacate tourney wins because Calipari hasn't been proven to do anything wrong. I hope you are still supportive of him because according to his track record....it is bound to happen again.

The error in Mark Story's article is lumping Calipari's behavior with that of Pitino and Gillispie. Even if Cal is guilty of wrongdoing (which I personally believe he is), you cannot possibly compare his act to Ricky P & Billy G. From my vantage point, Story has disliked the Cal hire from the get-go, and this article was nothing more than another unfair attempt of his to express those ill feelings.

If people were really honest, what Cal does is done by most every successful coach in the game. Whether you want to admit that or not, it's true. Most every successful coach bends or deliberately breaks the rules.

There aren't that many that cheat on their wives & finance abortions. And there aren't that many with multiple DUI convictions.

I'm not justifying Cal's shady ways by any means. But it is not fair to compare what he did w/ Pitino & Gillispie. It's not even close, and Mark Story knows it.

I think the whole point of lumping Calipari in the story is because he has embarrassed his last two employers. Well, he wasn't proven to have done anything wrong, but his last two employers have paid the price for his inability to watch over his program.

I really have no desire to discuss anything Adolph Rupp related, but at the same time, Bobby Knight never seemed to have any kind of issues of ineligible players or "shady" activities involving recruits.

True, but Tubby never did anything to embarrass the University which is what I thought the whole point of the story was.

The beat-downs we took on the road @ Indiana & Kansas in 06-07 were pretty bad. That embarrassed me FAR MORE than anything John Calipari has done.

I see your point, but just disagree with it. What Cal has done to UK (he has not embarrassed us IMO) doesn't compare to what Pitino has done to UL or Gillispie to himself. It's not even close. I think it's completely unfair of Mark Story or anyone else to place Cal's perceived misdeeds alongside those of Rick & Billy G.

I really have no desire to discuss anything Adolph Rupp related, but at the same time, Bobby Knight never seemed to have any kind of issues of ineligible players or "shady" activities involving recruits.

No, he choked and headbutted his kids so much they were scared to death to do anything wrong. :lol:

The beat-downs we took on the road @ Indiana & Kansas in 06-07 were pretty bad. That embarrassed me FAR MORE than anything John Calipari has done.

I see your point, but just disagree with it. What Cal has done to UK (he has not embarrassed us IMO) doesn't compare to what Pitino has done to UL or Gillispie to himself. It's not even close. I think it's completely unfair of Mark Story or anyone else to place Cal's perceived misdeeds alongside those of Rick & Billy G.

I understand completely. I can see why he was mentioned along with the other two, and I can respect Story for not being afraid to call him out. Everywhere else in the nation, except for the state of Kentucky, people are expecting Calipari to get UK on probation again. That is the perception of Calipari whether UK fans want to hear it or not. I think it's better to address whatever past issues Calipari had than to ignore them and act as if it never happened.

For the record, I hope Calipari is able to do the great things he is expected to do while at UK. College basketball is a lot more fun when UK fields a competitive team. You guys have been so bad for the last couple of years, I felt bad for hating UK.

Who is Calipari involved in this bad crowd? Is he hanging out with some boys smoking pot behind the bleachers? :lol: The only person I have heard about is World Wide Wes. Has WWW ever been convicted or charged with wrong doing?

Its like with Pitino. I have heard rumors for years about him having a few women on the side and it has came out now that he cheated on his wife once. If I had to guess I would say that this was a regular occurance, but I have no proof and if I was a media member I wouldn't go around saying that. Yet with Calipari he is not being given the benefit of the doubt by most.

Somebody got Calipari's past programs in trouble. Either it was him, or it was the people he hung out with. I don't know why this is such a difficult concept to understand. :confused:

Calipari isn't being given the benefit of the doubt because he has the "brown touch." For those unfamiliar, the "brown touch" is a lot like the "golden touch," only that when it comes to the "brown touch," everything they touch turns to poo.

As far as Pitino goes, are you now trying to backtrack from the idea that most UK fans profess -- and one that I have long subscribed to -- that he is not a womanizer?

All this speculation about Cal is sickening. The guy has never himself been implicated of any wrong doing, yet he is on trial everyday from writers, fans, etc..... Where was all this hatred when the UCONN incident came up this past year with Mr. Calhoun. Oh, that just blows over after a week. No big deal its UCONN. Nobody ever mentions the FACT that Calipari is the one who reported the Camby incident at umass. Nobody ever brings up the fact that the team that beat the Memphis team in the championship game was on probation(Kansas). If everyone is going to rip Calipari this way they need to devote some more time in their day to give the rest of these programs and coaches grief. I thought in this country people were innocent until proven guilty.