Boone County 45 Holmes 38

LRCW

It's funny though that Holmes loses ONE game and all of a sudden they aren't what they're cracked up to be. Two things to remember...

1. Last year Holmes lost to Newcath this same week and went on to win 10 straight on their way to the state title game.

2. Last team to beat Holmes this year, got thumped by 18 in a rematch on their home floor. :sssh:

It is what it is, but Holmes is one of the top 2 teams in the state for a reason. See you at BOK arena in about a month.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't wait for a possible rematch in the region tourney. I'll say it now... Boone won't beat Holmes on a neutral floor. "

POLL QUESTION? Who made this prediction yesterday

Holmes 65

Boone 51

ETA, you get the first guess. :dancingpa

It's funny though that Holmes loses ONE game and all of a sudden they aren't what they're cracked up to be. Two things to remember...

1. Last year Holmes lost to Newcath this same week and went on to win 10 straight on their way to the state title game.

2. Last team to beat Holmes this year, got thumped by 18 in a rematch on their home floor. :sssh:

It is what it is, but Holmes is one of the top 2 teams in the state for a reason. See you at BOK arena in about a month.

Sorry for having an opinion. I have seen Holmes play once this year, and that was tonight. They looked awful compared to what I was expecting.

Boone beat Holmes at every phase of the game, not just in the halfcourt. They didn't slow the ball down until the 4th quarter. Holmes had trouble with the press Boone threw at them late in the second half. I actually thought Boone looked good the few times they were in transition. Pittman was having problems with his left wrist. Did you not see that? He had the Boone trainer tape it and was holding it the entire second half. Also, Boone can for sure beat Holmes on a neutral court.

Pretty bold statement. We'll find out here in about a month.

Again, last team to beat Holmes lost by 18 in the rematch. I'll let Boone have their glory though. They were the better team tonight. But don't think for one second that they got Holmes best...that would be foolish and wishful thinking. :thumb:

They've lost 2 games, same as Elliott.

Just got in from the game...first off, let me say congrats to the Rebels on the win. They had a gameplan that they were going to win with a halfcourt, slow it down offense, and they executed it to perfection.

First quarter Boone jumped out to a 6-0 lead but Holmes stormed back to tie it at 6-6 behind back to back 3's by Riley and Pittman. Boone would then go on an 8-2 run, including a lay up by I believe Mcfarland at the end of the first to give the Rebels a 14-8 advantage heading in to the second quarter.

Second quarter was back and forth for the first few minutes, but with Boone up 16-12, they'd then go on 6-2 run to push the lead up to 22-14. Holmes responded with a 5-0 run after Rico knocked down a jumper and Pittman knocked down a 3 to close within 3 at 22-19. McFarland then got an and one but missed the free throw to give Boone a 24-19 lead but Pittman responded at the other end with a basket. Boone then got a call against Holmes at the end of the half to get them the ball back and Mcfarland made a lay up at the buzzer to give them a 26-21 halftime lead. Mcfarland led Boone in the first half with 12 and Pittman led Holmes with 12.

Third quarter Boone started the quarter on a 7-2 run to push the lead to 33-23 but Housely got a basket at the other end to stop the run. Both teams traded baskets to end the half and Boone headed in to the 4th up 37-27. Not sure why but Pittman came out of the game at around the 5 minute mark of the third quarter and didn't return until the 6 minute mark of the 4th.

Fourth quarter the refs let A LOT get by them. Holmes started pressing and giving Boone problems and every time Holmes would trap them, Boone would either get away with a walk or shove or or a foul would be called on a Holmes player. Holmes starter the 4th on a 6-2 run and closed within 39-33 with 2:22 left, but an "and one" by Mcfarland stopped the run. Holmes then had to start fouling down 41-35 with 1:16 to play and Boone knocked down a few free throws to ice the game and give you the final of 43-35.

For Boone, Cotton and Mcfarland really stood out to me. Cotton had several big rebounds and baskets at the beginning of the game to give Boone some momentum. Mcfarland is a nice player. Led Boone with 16 points. Boone killed Holmes with back door cuts and screens for lay ups. They played a stall ball offense and worked for good shots, which paid off in the end.

For Holmes, Pittman was the only one who stood out to me. I still have no clue why Henley sat him for so long when he wasn't in foul trouble. Same with Riley. I'm very interested in seeing their free throw percentage from this game. I know at one point during the first half they were something ridiculous like 1-10 and it didn't get much better in the second half. Gotta make your free throws to beat a good team like Boone, and Holmes didn't.

Again, congrats to Boone on the win. They were the better team tonight. Hopefully this will be a wake up call for Holmes though and this will send a message to them that they gotta get better. Can't wait for a possible rematch in the region tourney. I'll say it now... Boone won't beat Holmes on a neutral floor. "The Barn" out at BC was rockin' tonight.

Boone did not play stall ball. They played patient half court offense and executed it well. They also played tremendous half court defense.

You can predict a Holmes victory every game, but my point from the beginning of the year that Holmes is not invincible has been emphatically proven, and it is never out of the realm of possibility for Boone to beat them with the right game plan. Boone's team played well, and I credit their coaches for a good game plan in this game.

Boone is very underrated on the BGP and Associated Press poll. They are not even top 20. McFarland and Boone's guards controlled the game. Riley and the Johnsons were not factors. Pittman had 12 in the first half and only 2 after that.

Holmes may still win out and are still a very good team, but all of the Holmes braggarts (you know who you are) can eat a lot of crow and humble pie tonight! :lol::ylsuper::dancingpa:dancingpa:dancingpa

Fourth quarter the refs let A LOT get by them.

Why sure they did, you alway's have a good reason for something on here.

Too bad you didn't get to see Elliott Co. lay some smackdown tonight against Mason Co.:laugh::ylsuper::ylsuper::ylsuper:

Pretty bold statement. We'll find out here in about a month.

Again, last team to beat Holmes lost by 18 in the rematch. I'll let Boone have their glory though. They were the better team tonight. But don't think for one second that they got Holmes best...that would be foolish and wishful thinking. :thumb:

:lol:

It is much more bold on your part saying Holmes WONT lose to Boone on a neutral court when Boone just beat Holmes.

Major differences I seen throughout the game, Boone was very very intense from the opening whistle, Holmes came out flat. Boone operated well in there half-court and took care of the ball, Holmes made several mistakes and turned the ball over alot. Holmes left alot of points at the stripe tonight, Boone knocked free throws down (with the exeption of the one kid that struggled down the stretch). Defensively Holmes didn't get off screens and that led to quite a few easy baskets under the rim for Boone, every shot Holmes took tonight was contested. Holmes also missed some lay-ups during the course of the game which is very uncharacteristic, and they forced up some outside shots that they had no business taking which is becoming more and more common. The only bright spot offensively for Holmes tonight was Elijah Pittman who again played very well, but Holmes had no answer for McFarland tonight.