Holmes moving to 4A?

I think Clyde is right on with the 12% rule and that is why Holmes is allowed to move down. Otherwise it would be hard to convince anyone that Holmes wasn't trying to get away from Highlands, CCH and Dixie which I understand the KHSAA won't allow teams to do.

The schedules get blown up and all the 5A teams will have to find a new game to replace Holmes.

labs, I find your comments about being on more equal footing interesting. Holmes is currently #1 in the state in an unclassified sport yet they need to move down in class in football to get away from a couple of teams that aren't even 5A size.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Clyde is right on with the 12% rule and that is why Holmes is allowed to move down. Otherwise it would be hard to convince anyone that Holmes wasn't trying to get away from Highlands, CCH and Dixie which I understand the KHSAA won't allow teams to do.

The schedules get blown up and all the 5A teams will have to find a new game to replace Holmes.

labs, I find your comments about being on more equal footing interesting. Holmes is currently #1 in the state in an unclassified sport yet they need to move down in class in football to get away from a couple of teams that aren't even 5A size.

Basketball and football comparison is not a fair comparison. Football is a numbers game. You can have two really good players and be really good in hoops. Football you need a lot of kids.

I see it as moving from the SEC to the Big East.

Holmes's numbers have always been skewed. They have such as transient population with their enrollment it is tough to place a consistent finger on it.

FWIU, enrollment by the KHSAA is established the same day as the SEEK/State formula is calculated. Holmes's enrollment in Jaunuary is far less than it is on opening day.

Not sure if the 8th grade is included or not, but most high schools at least at the large school level, the 8th is located at the middle school.

Still there are 20+ schools in 4A that are larger than Holmes enrollment wise...there is nothing really to argue.

I think there is a large scheduling meeting sometime later this month. Most of Holmes nonconference games were already filled and I think everyone in the new district was OK with the addition.

The 8th grade IS at the the same school at Holmes. Holmes Sr high and jr high are in the same building. Two Rivers which feeds into Holmes only goes into the 7th grade. Now I have no idea if they are truly counting the 8th grade as part of the HS for classification. If they us the SEEK formula numbers then there is a good chance they do. I heard from a Holmes coach about the numbers in Dec. They belong in a lower classification.

I also have to agree that comparing Basketball and Football is not fair.

How will this affect next season's scheduling. Obviously Holmes would have to drop some of the teams they currently have scheduled and pick up their new district opponents. Does this mean Highlands will have to play Ryle 3 times?

I think the rumors of Highlands playing in the Herbie next year seem to make more sense now with this move by Holmes..

Wasn't Scott also rumored to be dropping down?

Yes and it may happen though depending what the administration chooses to due after weighing the options.

Open Enrollment right now is really hurting Scott. Just in general, whether it be for athletic or academic reasons, graduated middle school students are choosing to go elsewhere instead of Scott and their numbers are hurting right now.

When my son entered Scott, the number of students were estimated to be about 1200. By his Senior year, that number dwindled down to just under 1100. Do you know what this years is? I've heard Scott has roughly 1000 students now. Scott had to cut 7 teachers this year because of the decrease in students and may have to cut more if this continues. Scott is really hurting right now and with this open enrollment policy and recent trends, it doesn't seem likely that anything will improve.

Yes and it may happen though depending what the administration chooses to due after weighing the options.

Open Enrollment right now is really hurting Scott. Just in general, whether it be for athletic or academic reasons, graduated middle school students are choosing to go elsewhere instead of Scott and their numbers are hurting right now.

When my son entered Scott, the number of students were estimated to be about 1200. By his Senior year, that number dwindled down to just under 1100. Do you know what this years is? I've heard Scott has roughly 1000 students now. Scott had to cut 7 teachers this year because of the decrease in students and may have to cut more if this continues. Scott is really hurting right now and with this open enrollment policy and recent trends, it doesn't seem likely that anything will improve.

Wouldn't 1,000 leave them in 5A?