Holmes moving to 4A?

Here is what the KHSAA's press release said:

The KHSAA Board of Control approves Holmes reclassification

Holmes High School, a member of Class 5A in football for the past two seasons, will be moving to Class 4A, beginning with the 2009-10 school year.

The measure was approved 16-0 with one recusal by the Kentucky High School Athletic Association Board of Control at its January meeting in Lexington.

Holmes is the second-smallest of the 39 schools in Class 5A based on enrollment averages used to determine classification for the past two seasons. Holmes has experienced a significant decline in enrollment to warrant a move to Class 4A for the 2009 and 2010 seasons.

Holmes will play in Class 4A, District 5, which includes Bourbon County, Franklin County, Harrison County and Pendleton County. For the past two years Holmes competed in Class 5A, District 5 with Covington Catholic, Dixie Heights, Highlands and Scott.

The Board also approved a measure placing the new Muhlenberg County High School in Class 6A for football for the 2009-2010 school year, pending approval by the Kentucky Board of Education. The new school is the result of a merger of Muhlenberg North and Muhlenberg South high schools.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Cincinnati Enquirier:

"Now Holmes has a different problem, as do other area programs. The Bulldogs must find room on their schedule for four new district opponents.

That means four teams from their original 10-game schedule - Bellevue, Bryan Station, Cooper, CovCath, Dixie Heights, Highlands, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Scott and Withrow - will have a hole in their schedule."

Highlands now as room for another game or they can retain the mighty Holmes/HHS rivalry. I know a local class 6A team that needs three more games.....:D

"Now Holmes has a different problem, as do other area programs. The Bulldogs must find room on their schedule for four new district opponents.

That means four teams from their original 10-game schedule - Bellevue, Bryan Station, Cooper, CovCath, Dixie Heights, Highlands, Holy Cross, Lloyd, Scott and Withrow - will have a hole in their schedule."

Highlands now as room for another game or they can retain the mighty Holmes/HHS rivalry. I know a local class 6A team that needs three more games.....:D

I would love to see that match-up.

3a...I mean 5A power vs. 6A power would be a great game.

This is going to start a trend of schools lowering a class if they can't compete, this will be a loop hole and I think that when teams figure out how to manipulate the system there will be a total overhaul.

Are you saying a school should stay in a higher class than their enrollments calls for?

Now that Holmes has move to 4A maybe CovCath and Highlands should move down to make a all NKY district to include Pendleton County.

Remember both CovCath and Highlands play up and one of the reason was it made a all

NKY 5A district

That is not entirely true. They technically had an all NKY district before the move. It was Holmes, Dixie, Scott, and Grant County which played all the NKY teams in the past. When Highlands move up and Cov. Cath moved up it was more than to just make it a NKY 5A district. I will say that travel is not a problem when you only have to do it twice ayear, although it will be farther than they are use to traveling.

Guest Birdflu

That would be much better than playing Ryle 4 times.

• 2 weeks later...