Car Trouble

Aiden Seamus

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. 4 cylinder, manual transmission.

I have not been having any problems out of it. I drove it to work today, and then drove it to lunch and no problems.

Then, as I was leaving work for the day, I go to start the car and it cranks, but it won't turn over. I tried this three times and no luck.

I made sure it was in neutral and then I gave it some gas while turning the key. This time it fired up but it very quickly idled back down and stalled. I tried it again, this time being sure to keep giving it a little bit of gas. I managed to get back home, but every time I came to a stop it idled down really low and the lights started to dim.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. 4 cylinder, manual transmission.

I have not been having any problems out of it. I drove it to work today, and then drove it to lunch and no problems.

Then, as I was leaving work for the day, I go to start the car and it cranks, but it won't turn over. I tried this three times and no luck.

I made sure it was in neutral and then I gave it some gas while turning the key. This time it fired up but it very quickly idled back down and stalled. I tried it again, this time being sure to keep giving it a little bit of gas. I managed to get back home, but every time I came to a stop it idled down really low and the lights started to dim.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

Altenator is my guess.

Did the engine light come on? If so, there will be a code stored in the computer. If any friends or family have a diagnostic reader, they can plug in, read the code, and most likely tell you what sensor needs replaced. S3 is probably right, but there are so many things it could be, just randomly changing parts can get expensive. If no one has a reader, I suggest buying one. They pay for themselves pretty fast when you start adding up your time and trips to the auto parts store.

Did the engine light come on? If so, there will be a code stored in the computer. If any friends or family have a diagnostic reader, they can plug in, read the code, and most likely tell you what sensor needs replaced. S3 is probably right, but there are so many things it could be, just randomly changing parts can get expensive. If no one has a reader, I suggest buying one. They pay for themselves pretty fast when you start adding up your time and trips to the auto parts store.

I think you can just take the car to autozone, if it can make it there and get them to hook it up to their computer.

I think you can just take the car to autozone, if it can make it there and get them to hook it up to their computer.

That works, too. I have one, and it is worth it's weight in gold. Only problem is family/friends/neighbors have you as the first person to call when their car messes up.

That works, too. I have one, and it is worth it's weight in gold. Only problem is family/friends/neighbors have you as the first person to call when their car messes up.

:lol:

My dad has one also along with a garage with every tool imaginable. He runs into the same problem.

Thanks for the responses. I work at a Chevy dealership (detail) and they have a service dept. I'm sure I can take it there and get it checked out sometime.

Anyways, I talked to one of the guys there today. He said (without looking at it) that it might be water or condensation in the gas tank. When I turned the key it didn't crank slow. It cranked just as fast as it always does. Also, the lights aren't dimmer. They dimmed when the car stalled, but while driving they are not any less dim. Because of that, he doesn't think it's the alternator. BTW, I had no problems starting the car today.

He actually recommended putting some rubbing alcohol in the gas tank to dry up any water. He said he had a car before that did the exact same thing mine was doing and that every winter he'd have to put a bottle of rubbing alcohol in the gas every time he filled up to get it to start right.

I guess we'll see.

I hope that AS doesn't mind me asking my own automotive question...

Just this morning my car started "shaking" while I was driving. It was not constant, though VERY noticable...and that was the only symptom.

Any thoughts?

Lots of them.

Loose lug nuts

Tie rods/ ball joints

Since not constant, it could be a transmission shudder while trying to shift

Rough road

Does it feel like it is in the front or rear?