Will games be sloppier this year in Weeks 1 and 2?

Nope.

I think the kids might be less tough without more bang time, but whether you mean precise or well conditioned I think that you can get either without full contact practices through 7-on-7 and running respectively. And the games do start so much later than they used to.

Practicing without pads allows the coaches to stress fundamentals. Often when teams go directly into drills the players have bad form. The smaller things are stressed in just helmets that arent in full gear. Helmets only also allows the underclassmen to get aquainted with the high school level of play. Freshmen hitting Seniors the first day could have bad outcomes.

Practicing without pads allows the coaches to stress fundamentals. Often when teams go directly into drills the players have bad form. The smaller things are stressed in just helmets that arent in full gear. Helmets only also allows the underclassmen to get aquainted with the high school level of play. Freshmen hitting Seniors the first day could have bad outcomes.

Agree on all counts. And no it won't be sloppier. Keep in mind that the kids might actually still be fresh and not worn down.

I think with skill positions it might not affect them as bad because of 7on 7.

However,it could make it harder for coaches to evaluate their linemen,and for linemen to get their timing down.Also all the tackling you can get in at the high school level helps.

Agree on all counts. And no it won't be sloppier. Keep in mind that the kids might actually still be fresh and not worn down.

I also agree with the post and don't think it will be sloppier. As to the lack of tackling in full pads, I'm of the mindset that non-live, form tackling drills are better than full go drills. Sure, some live is necessary, but not near as much as some people think is necessary.

No coach should ever have freshmen hitting seniors, at any point in the season.

No coach should ever have freshmen hitting seniors, at any point in the season.

Then you never had to coach a Class A team. Because some freshman are forced to play sooner in a Class A team. WHat happens when the games start? You ask the other team not to play any seniors when you are forced to play a freshman?

What happens when you have a freshman that can play?

Now if you have a freshman that is not ready then I understand your point.

Then you never had to coach a Class A team. Because some freshman are forced to play sooner in a Class A team. WHat happens when the games start? You ask the other team not to play any seniors when you are forced to play a freshman?

What happens when you have a freshman that can play?

Now if you have a freshman that is not ready then I understand your point.

Also, what happens when a 1A or 2A team simply doesn't have enough practice dummies? When you sign up for football their isn't a line that says" your son (or daughter) will not be hit hard, because he is only a freshman and needs to be taken care of".If anything freshman become better playing with upperclassman.