'79 Semifinals: Belfry 14 Highlands 8

Watusi

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the support on that one. It wasn't meant to do harm to the game. Just strategy.

Just curious, do you feel the same way about watered down fields and such? :D

(Badd Hatz, Badd Hatz, sorry ;))

I checked the record and Highlands played Lincoln Cty the week prior and won 34-0.

According to the the Cincinnati Enquirer that game was played on a Friday night.

Highlands played Conner the week before and Campbell Cty before that. Lloyd was the 6th game of the year. It was the last loss when Highlands started 2-4 before reeling of 7 wins until the Belfry loss.

You are definitely right, RoadRunner. Lincoln County visited Highlands the week before for the Regional title. I am pretty certain it was a Friday night. It was a very, very cold night but there was no lightning as some other poster stated.

Just curious, do you feel the same way about watered down fields and such? :D

(Badd Hatz, Badd Hatz, sorry ;))

My view on that is you could increase the risk of injury to a player, so I would say that would harm the game. I can't see how this compares to the game we are discussing.

Its a comparison, just not a good one.

Here it goes to the best of my recollection. Wilbur was the coach and Belfry had these jersey's that were so dryrotted that you couldn't even breath on them without part of it falling off. We knew we didn't have a chance once we saw what kind of uniform's they had.HA... To be honest I really don't remember that much hype about who was going out to the field first. We had a couple of fumbles close to the goal line and if I remember correct Belfry had a couple of pretty hardnose runningback's. This game was a big win for there program. We only had 6 senior's that year and this allowed Wilbur to get plenty of playing time for 81 and 82 state championship kids to play. This would have been considered a rebuilding year anywhere but Highlands.

Don't recall the the circumstances about the late entry to the field but do recall the tear away jersey (made famous in that era by Pruitt of Cleveland Browns fame) Anyway, short recollection of the HHS game and season was the 2-4 start that had the season turned around by the fumble recovery by Kenney Pabst against archrival NewCath (yes, before CCH knew what football was! LOL ....actually CCH beat HHS that year 31-7) anyway, the team was heavily dependent on underclassmen and really was a rebuilding season. It was however, a season when the seniors put it together and led the team to the playoff run they enjoyed. I have some recollection of a late fumble or INT by QB Stafford that stopped a late opportunity for HHS ?? Exciting game and exciting season for the Birds to even make it that far. Recall that this was the era of the infamous "sub-districts" that only required HHS to beat favored Newcath 15-8 and Newport 21-0 the following week to make the playoffs. Unfortunately that same format cost a very talented '80 team to miss out on playoffs due to a lone loss to a good Newport squad. (can you believe a 9-1 team not making playoffs in Ky. !!!!!!) (BTW. IMO '80 may be the best HHS team to not win it all ....other than '97 team.....but I digress !)

These two quotes seem to sum up a good Highlands perspective on the game.

I see what you are saying there. I'm sure there was too much celebration on the part of players and fans alike after that win. No doubt about it. As FB said, it was a breakout moment for Belfry and put us on the map in terms of statewide recognition in football. And you can't turn off the emotions after something like that.

But anyone who knew him will tell you there wasn't a human being alive more business like or more focused on the job at hand, than Dick Roddy. I doubt the players' celebration lasted much past Sunday afternoon (film day) before the reality of what they had to do hit them hard in the form of a Coach Roddy "basement talk".

The highlighted part of this quote is a problem for any team, but thanks for the compliment to Highlands.:thumb:

Don't recall the the circumstances about the late entry to the field but do recall the tear away jersey (made famous in that era by Pruitt of Cleveland Browns fame) Anyway, short recollection of the HHS game and season was the 2-4 start that had the season turned around by the fumble recovery by Kenney Pabst against archrival NewCath

I played baseball with Ken and I don't remember him having the kind of speed he showed on that fumble recovery.;) I do remember it being one of the most memorable plays that I've personally witnessed. Seems to me that NewCath was rolling up the field until that play. Afterwards nothing seemed to go right for them. A huge turning point. Man, I miss the HHS/NC games.

Another memorable game that year was the first game at Campbell County in the Holly Hill Classic against Scott County. It was only my second year as a Highlands student, (having spent my first two years at Campbell,) but I can remember sitting there thinking "This can't be happening" as Scott County smacked the Birds all over the field. I had the game program until I got married. It got lost in the move. :madman:

I played baseball with Ken and I don't remember him having the kind of speed he showed on that fumble recovery.;) I do remember it being one of the most memorable plays that I've personally witnessed. Seems to me that NewCath was rolling up the field until that play. Afterwards nothing seemed to go right for them. A huge turning point. Man, I miss the HHS/NC games.

Another memorable game that year was the first game at Campbell County in the Holly Hill Classic against Scott County. It was only my second year as a Highlands student, (having spent my first two years at Campbell,) but I can remember sitting there thinking "This can't be happening" as Scott County smacked the Birds all over the field. I had the game program until I got married. It got lost in the move. :madman:

That Scott County team was coached by soon to be Highlands coach Jack Eicher. I guess that big win might of had something to do with his hiring!!!!!:madman: And also maybe he was a alum of Highlands. Hopefully Highlands hired Jack because of his Varsity Head Coaching experience and not just because he played at Highlands. He was the head varsity coach at Scott County right?

I can understand your thoughts...we beat HHS without our starting tailback...we played the state championship without our entire backfield after the 1 st quarter. Lots of things went wrong that night...and I will agree we had a lapse in our game that night...but we were there that night to have our lapse...we weren't celebrating that night after the game for sure...but looking back the HHS game was so big, the players never recovered...blame it on coaching and I am sure Coach Roddy accepted the blame.

I am glad you guys got to watch us fail.

"You guys"? In 1979 I couldn't even find Fort Thomas. I'm a newbie since I've only been here 24 years. Everyone else is 24th generation up here.

I see what you are saying there. I'm sure there was too much celebration on the part of players and fans alike after that win. No doubt about it. As FB said, it was a breakout moment for Belfry and put us on the map in terms of statewide recognition in football. And you can't turn off the emotions after something like that.

But anyone who knew him will tell you there wasn't a human being alive more business like or more focused on the job at hand, than Dick Roddy. I doubt the players' celebration lasted much past Sunday afternoon (film day) before the reality of what they had to do hit them hard in the form of a Coach Roddy "basement talk".

I do think that one of the hardest jobs in high school football is getting these young men to focus after a huge win.

My view on that is you could increase the risk of injury to a player, so I would say that would harm the game. I can't see how this compares to the game we are discussing.

Its a comparison, just not a good one.

I am so glad that you see a watered down field as a bad example, because everyone knows that you guys would never water down a field in order to slow down an explosive passing attack.;)

I am so glad that you see a watered down field as a bad example, because everyone knows that you guys would never water down a field in order to slow down an explosive passing attack.;)

Unlike that Danville game, Belfry's Mud Bowl vs. Breathitt was truly the culmination of weather, poor decisions on field management, poor drainage, and a field that had been over used.

Belfry's offense that season was centered around HB Jonah Caudill. Needless to say a muddy field was not condusive to Caudill's running style.

That Scott County team was coached by soon to be Highlands coach Jack Eicher. I guess that big win might of had something to do with his hiring!!!!!:madman: And also maybe he was a alum of Highlands. Hopefully Highlands hired Jack because of his Varsity Head Coaching experience and not just because he played at Highlands. He was the head varsity coach at Scott County right?

If that is true, is there something about hiring coaches that win big games against the Birds?? If the Eicher story was true then there was a pattern to see when the Birds came and got Tom Duffy from Danville. Good thing HHS beat Chuck Smith that last year and they may have tried to grab him. :lol:

Witty and clever comment, 75.:D:D

Thanks. After I posted I was concerned someone would take offense where none was intended. It's one of the best things about Ft Thomas and I certainly hope my family becomes a generational thing. I know my kids plan on returning to live here. Of course they haven't priced real estate or seen the property tax bills yet. :D