'79 Semifinals: Belfry 14 Highlands 8

Watusi

How can it be unsportsmanlike for one team to not enter the field, but not for the other?
Because generally, as visitors, you do things the way they're done at the home field. That's why it's called "home field advantage."

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats why 'Tusi brought this to light nearly 30 years after it happened.... haha

Closure for those there...and history for those of us not born yet :D

Ohh...it's a "closure" deal!

Yes, Toots has been watching too much Dr. Phil lately. :D

In all honesty, I doubt the tear aways had much to physically do with the game. It was more psychological. Belfy's players thought they had the upper hand because of the jersey's, and Highlands got discouraged because they tore a jersey off of a player and he kept running.

Honestly, how many jerseys were torn off? I bet it wasn't many.

As I can recall, we had 12 each for 3 backs and used them all. We ran plays in and replaced them in the huddle. They cut the necks out to get them over the helmets.

Belfry lost their starting tailback against HHS, and then in the championship game, they lost their fullback and other tailback too fairly early in the game.

That FS team had Kerry Baird and Joker Phillips in the backfield and they were the class of 3A that season. Very sound football team.

Not talking about the outcome of the game. Referring to the team thinking that they had won their state championship the week before. To me that reflects on the coaching.

Should've read "KWITCHACHEATIN." :cool:

It was done within the spirit of the rules.. Mr. Walker from Georgia wore tear aways all the time...was Vince Dooley a "cheater"?

And, what do you mean it was a situation the KHSAA had overlooked.... aren't most new laws or changes in laws brought about by circumstances that were previously overlooked or considered a non-issue.

For instance, this year teams can't wear shoulder pads till Aug. 1st due to the heat....are you trying to say "the KHSAA didn't care about heat related injuries until this year"? I doubt that to be the case.

Keep in mind, this was Belfry's breakout moment....

To keep saying BHS cheated is poor sportmanship in itself, particularly since it was nearly 30 years ago.

I had no idea this was such a painful moment for HHS.

It was done within the spirit of the rules.. Mr. Walker from Georgia wore tear aways all the time...was Vince Dooley a "cheater"?

And, what do you mean it was a situation the KHSAA had overlooked.... aren't most new laws or changes in laws brought about by circumstances that were previously overlooked or considered a non-issue.

For instance, this year teams can't wear shoulder pads till Aug. 1st due to the heat....are you trying to say "the KHSAA didn't care about heat related injuries until this year"? I doubt that to be the case.

Keep in mind, this was Belfry's breakout moment....

To keep saying BHS cheated is poor sportmanship in itself, particularly since it was nearly 30 years ago.

Trust me when I say this: every loss, and I mean every loss, no matter who it is to, is a painful moment for Highlands.

Not talking about the outcome of the game. Referring to the team thinking that they had won their state championship the week before. To me that reflects on the coaching.

I can understand your thoughts...we beat HHS without our starting tailback...we played the state championship without our entire backfield after the 1 st quarter. Lots of things went wrong that night...and I will agree we had a lapse in our game that night...but we were there that night to have our lapse...we weren't celebrating that night after the game for sure...but looking back the HHS game was so big, the players never recovered...blame it on coaching and I am sure Coach Roddy accepted the blame.

I am glad you guys got to watch us fail.

Trust me when I say this: every loss, and I mean every loss, no matter who it is to, is a painful moment for Highlands.

I don't doubt that at all....you can tell by how much passion you have for the game...quite honestly, HHS and Belfry are both places that love the game.

Its no fluke for either school. They both play football the way its meant to be played.

I see what you are saying there. I'm sure there was too much celebration on the part of players and fans alike after that win. No doubt about it. As FB said, it was a breakout moment for Belfry and put us on the map in terms of statewide recognition in football. And you can't turn off the emotions after something like that.

But anyone who knew him will tell you there wasn't a human being alive more business like or more focused on the job at hand, than Dick Roddy. I doubt the players' celebration lasted much past Sunday afternoon (film day) before the reality of what they had to do hit them hard in the form of a Coach Roddy "basement talk".

Okay, that simply makes no sense. That's like saying a judge should go to jail for sending a criminal there. :lol:

And I believe it was a Belfry person who brought this up...30 years later. :p

It is painful only in the sense that it deprived some deserving young men the opportunity to play for a state championship.

As for it not being a rule yet, slavery used to be legal too. Does that make it right?