'79 Semifinals: Belfry 14 Highlands 8

Watusi

Birdsfan and I have discussed this game a few times at length. This seems like a good time to start a thread about it.

As was mentioned in another thread, this game holds some obscure distinctions because it fostered a couple of KY rule changes for high school football. It also, no doubt, fostered a lot of intense feelings for fans of both teams.

Anybody remember this game or any of the issues surrounding it?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Birdsfan and I have discussed this game a few times at length. This seems like a good time to start a thread about it.

As was mentioned in another thread, this game holds some obscure distinctions because it fostered a couple of KY rule changes for high school football. It also, no doubt, fostered a lot of intense feelings for fans of both teams.

I remember!!!!! I had 2 brothers on that team that started a terrible 2-4 that year. Talk about turning it around!!! Wasn't one of the rule changes made because to eliminate tear-a-way jerseys. I know when Belfry left that night they weren't wearing much on their backs.:D I will try to scan a couple of local Cincy articles about the game in my brothers scrap book. Maybe Birdsfan can help me scan some old pictures

That would be awesome, Boom. :thumb:

I'll post more about this game tonight when I have more time. I've been kind of looking forward to this discussion for a while.

Yes, one rule change was to outlaw tear-away jerseys. Belfry's coaches noticed HHS had a tendency to grab runners by the jersey and tackle them. At least in the film they saw and in HHS' game the week before. So they used tear-aways in that game, which were legal at the time. Apparently, the KHSAA got a few complaints about that. :D

Anyone know what the other rule change was?

I'll post more about this game tonight when I have more time. I've been kind of looking forward to this discussion for a while.

Yes, one rule change was to outlaw tear-away jerseys. Belfry's coaches noticed HHS had a tendency to grab runners by the jersey and tackle them. At least in the film they saw and in HHS' game the week before. So they used tear-aways in that game, which were legal at the time. Apparently, the KHSAA got a few complaints about that. :D

So you guys legally cheated!!!!!:D

Sound's like a great coaching move to me.

Smart coaching. Did they have tear away jersey's already or did they get them delivered that fast?

It's pretty bad that I can remember this game so well. I was only 10 at the time. That goes to show you what the life of a 10 year old is like in Ft Thomas. It's sort of like the Jeep phrase (It's a Highlands thing, you wouldn't understand!!!!):ylsuper:

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

I don't expect a response that will hijack this thread, but were those intense feelings anything like the ones caused with Danville after a 1986 game in the same round? :D

If I remember correctly, the HHS game the week before got postponed on Friday night because of a bad lightning storm and had to be played on Saturday. I think it was against Lloyd.

And that gave the Belfry coaches the opportunity to come and watch them play in person on Saturday.

Is that right? Or do I have another year confused with 1979?

I don't expect a response that will hijack this thread, but were those intense feelings anything like the ones caused with Danville after a 1986 game in the same round? :D
Another thread, Hatz, another thread. ;)