Chien-Ming Wang Injured: It's the NL's fault

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the NFL play 9 innings? Does the NBA have touchdowns? Didn't think so, IT'S BECAUSE THEY ARE DIFFERENT SPORTS.

Why should the NL have to add the DH why can't the AL get rid of it? It makes perfecet sense to take the DH out of baseball, it's completely and utterly ridiculous that you would think a player should bat but not field, or pitch but not bat. It's part of baseball that the players play both positions. The DH is a cop out for managers saying that they have a player that can only hit the ball but not field it. If he can't do both he shouldn't be playing. You can argue this all you want but there is not one valid point for having DH in baseball.

You're missing the point I was making. I don't care which way they go, but its dumb to have different rules in THE SAME SPORT. I was asking if the NFC and the AFC play by different rules. Does the Western Conference and Eastern Conference in the NBA have different rules? No. Why would you want your million dollar investment that pitches and never has an AB playing by different rules b/c he's at a NL park. I'd be fine w/ the AL getting rid of the DH or the NL adding it. It's crazy to have one or the other do it.

What purpose does the DH serve? Can someone please tell me? Why stop with the pitcher, lets just have 9 guys who field, and 9 different guys to bat?

Answer my question about the advantage it gives the AL in the World Series. Who for your beloved Cubs is added to the lineup against Papi? Who has the advantage in the games in Boston?

Thus the reason we watch NL games

Amen!

I'm a Reds fan, and you two are Braves and Cubs fans so we're probably going to agree that the NL is a better game to watch. That doesn't make it better. MLB has to make the rules the same in both leagues or they lose credibility to me. No other sport has a totally different rule based on which league you're in. While I think Steinbrenner is an idiot most of the times. I totally agree w/ him that it's unfair that his ace has to hit and run the bases once or twice a year b/c he's playing at a NL park.

There is no purpose for the DH, it's meaningless. If you love the sport of baseball there is no way you can agree with the use of DH.

This gets back to the thread I started a few weeks ago.

I would agree with you, SvFan4life, if those in baseball did not refuse to encourage pitchers to be legit hitters.

This gets back to the thread I started a few weeks ago.

I would agree with you, SvFan4life, if those in baseball did not refuse to encourage pitchers to be legit hitters.

See I agree with that. I don't get where pitchers got lost in the shuffle. In high school and in college pitchers are most of the time pretty good hitters. Tim Hudson was actually a very good hitter in college. IMO it's the managers, in the minor leagues, fault that pitchers can't hit. They draft a pitcher and work on nothing but pitching, so hitters don't practice on hitting and they lose that skill, for the most part.

Look at Rick Ankiel, a pitcher who could, and still can hit. He's not even a pitcher anymore.

Hank is a MORON! If I'm in Red Sox fan, I can sleep easy knowing that this guy has the keys to my rivals franchise

Hank reminds me of the old saying It's better to remain silent & be thought a fool than to open your mouth & remove all doubt. Some people simply cannot help themselves.

Luckily for the boys in the Bronx there are plenty of capable front office folks in the organization. & thankfully for the Sox, our front office is better!:thumb:

If anything the DH is a disadvantage to the AL....Take the Red Sox as an example. When they do make it to the WS, which is inevitable again this year :D, they have to take one of their big bats that they've counted on for production all year out of the lineup when they play in the NL parks. The NL team gets to take a sure out, the pitcher, out of the lineup and insert another hitter into the lineup when they play in an AL park.

Call me old fashioned, but I enjoy small ball, sac flys, squeeze plays and double switches more than homerun derbys

Come on now, you're spouting cliches. When is the last time you were just totally pumped over a double switch? As for the squeeze play, how many of those do you see each year, 2 or 3? The AL plays some pretty good baseball, they've owned the NL in the World Series, the All-Star Game and in interleague play for awhile now.

Answer my question about the advantage it gives the AL in the World Series. Who for your beloved Cubs is added to the lineup against Papi? Who has the advantage in the games in Boston?

All the Cubs would do is move Soriano to the DH and put a better defender out there so they would have better defense. I think Soriano and Papi match up well at DH. I say there is no advantage but when they go play at Wrigley and Big Z is up to bat over Dice-K with Papi on the bench. I say advantage Cubs.

All the Cubs would do is move Soriano to the DH and put a better defender out there so they would have better defense. I think Soriano and Papi match up well at DH. I say there is no advantage but when they go play at Wrigley and Big Z is up to bat over Dice-K with Papi on the bench. I say advantage Cubs.

Soriano is a very good player, but he's not the hitter that Papi is--you can pitch to Soriano in a big spot. If you're talking about the teams playing in the World Series, Ortiz is a decent firstbaseman, he'll be in the lineup. He's played in all 8 Series games for the Sox and usually plays first in 2 out of 3 games in most interleague series.

Soriano is a very good player, but he's not the hitter that Papi is--you can pitch to Soriano in a big spot. If you're talking about the teams playing in the World Series, Ortiz is a decent firstbaseman, he'll be in the lineup. He's played in all 8 Series games for the Sox and usually plays first in 2 out of 3 games in most interleague series.

David Oritiz

2008 STATS

BA HR RBI OBP SLG

.252 13 43 .354 .486

Alfonso Soriano

BA HR RBI OBP SLG

.283 15 40 .332 .547

I'd say that's pretty close