Chien-Ming Wang Injured: It's the NL's fault

2001 Arizona Diamondbacks 4 New York Yankees 3

2002 Anaheim Angels 4 San Francisco Giants 3

2003 Florida Marlins 4 New York Yankees 2

2004 Boston Red Sox 4 St. Louis Cardinals 0

2005 Chicago White Sox 4 Houston Astros 0

2006 St. Louis Cardinals 4 Detroit Tigers 1

2007 Boston Red Sox 4 Colorado Rockies 0

Yes, there's some sweeps, but overall the NL have held there own, pretty much every year. The NL getting swept last year, was the result of a long layoff where the Rocks timing was clearly off, not the result of not playing the year using a DH

The 3 years prior to your little stat here the AL won 12 games while the NL won 1 game in the World Series. It obviously isn't only b/c of the DH, but if MLB doesn't change some things, including 2 different sets of rules, MLB will continue to be the Yankees vs. Red Sox w/ a few other teams possibly getting hot at the right time of year.

I can't figure out why people don't think it's a bigger advantage to pay 9 starters against a team that pays 8 when there are 9 starters.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did amateur baseball (Pee Wee, Little Leauge, Babe Ruth) start using the DH? Why don't they start using aluminum bats also? That will certainly make for more offense. :rolleyes:

His point wasn't that he wants more offense. His point was that it's stupid that his pitchers don't hit and run bases except for a couple of times a year. One way or the other MLB needs to have the same rules for its sport.

His point wasn't that he wants more offense. His point was that it's stupid that his pitchers don't hit and run bases except for a couple of times a year. One way or the other MLB needs to have the same rules for its sport.

I realize that wasn't Hank's point, but more offense is the argument that most people use when arguing in favor of the DH.

I think he's totally right on this. He may be an idiot, but why do the pitchers hit? The AL has the biggest advantage ever in postseason home games. It is freaking crazy. That rule was from the early 1900's. It is the 21st century. He is right.

B/c it's baseball. If you can't swing a bat or run the bases a few times a year that's bad. Play ball the way it started. I for one wish the DH would have never been inserted,everyone should field and everyone should hit.

B/c it's baseball. If you can't swing a bat or run the bases a few times a year that's bad. Play ball the way it started. I for one wish the DH would have never been inserted,everyone should field and everyone should hit.

Does the pitcher have to hit in high school or college?

I'm not a fan of the DH. I'm a fan of MLB playing the game by the same rules. The DH isn't going away in the AL so the only way it will ever be the same is if the NL adds the DH. If I'm an owner and my ace who only hits once or twice a year and who hasn't been working on hitting and running the bases since he was a kid gets injured running the bases I'd be hacked too.

And this play ball the way it started stuff is stupid. It started w/o the fielders unsing gloves. Rules change, sometimes not for the better, but they do change.

Does the pitcher have to hit in high school or college?

I'm not a fan of the DH. I'm a fan of MLB playing the game by the same rules. The DH isn't going away in the AL so the only way it will ever be the same is if the NL adds the DH. If I'm an owner and my ace who only hits once or twice a year and who hasn't been working on hitting and running the bases since he was a kid gets injured running the bases I'd be hacked too.

And this play ball the way it started stuff is stupid. It started w/o the fielders unsing gloves. Rules change, sometimes not for the better, but they do change.

The DH will never be added to the NL. Be sure and check out the I'm waiting on Hank thread. :sssh:

The DH will never be added to the NL. Be sure and check out the I'm waiting on Hank thread. :sssh:

It's far more likely to be added to the NL than it is to be eliminated from the AL. Now I'm not saying that it's adoption by the NL is imminent by any means, but the MLBPA will never allow it to be eliminated all together...

It's far more likely to be added to the NL than it is to be eliminated from the AL. Now I'm not saying that it's adoption by the NL is imminent by any means, but the MLBPA will never allow it to be eliminated all together...

I agree that the MLBPA wil never allow it to be eliminated all together, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the NL owners will never all it in the NL, so I disagree that it's far more likely.

Again, I'm not supporting the DH per say. I'm supporting MLB playing by the same rules in both leagues. It's not hard to understand why Hank was upset.

I agree that the MLBPA wil never allow it to be eliminated all together, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the NL owners will never all it in the NL, so I disagree that it's far more likely.

I think it's far more likely that the players will get it bargained in than for the owners to get it bargained out.

I would tend to agree that the NL owners would remain steadfast against it's adoption but my statement was speaking more to the concept that, in the spirit of getting both leagues under the same set of rules, I thought the NL would be more likely to give in, especially in light of the current dearth of quality pitching & all the bad things that can happen to a pitcher if they're asked to do something as challenging as run the bases or swing a bat.(sarcasm implied)

I'm an AL guy, always have been, & have always accepted the DH as a part of the game. But I have to admit, since interleague play began & also watching World Series games in NL parks, while I think it's painful in most instances to sit through a pitchers at bat, I absolutley love the stategies involved under the NL rules. To the casual fan it's all baseball but when you watch as much baseball as I do (far too much!!) the subtleties in strategy between the two leagues are what makes the game great, IMVHO...

You're probably right, but if the right people (Yankees, Red Sox, Angles) complain enough it's a remote possibility.

What makes you think that those three owners have more pull than the 16 NL owners?