David Oritiz

2008 STATS

BA HR RBI OBP SLG

.252 13 43 .354 .486

Alfonso Soriano

BA HR RBI OBP SLG

.283 15 40 .332 .547

I'd say that's pretty close

I think AJG was referring to the fact that Papi is so clutch when it counts. People pitch around him in the postseason, I doubt that happens with Soriano.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Cubs would do is move Soriano to the DH and put a better defender out there so they would have better defense. I think Soriano and Papi match up well at DH. I say there is no advantage but when they go play at Wrigley and Big Z is up to bat over Dice-K with Papi on the bench. I say advantage Cubs.

That's what I'm talking about. The guy you put in for Soriano to play defense is the person that needs to be compared to Papi. If you pay 9 everyday players starters money compared to 8 and then you let 9 everyday players hit the team that has prepared all year for a 9 man lineup has the huge advantage. HUGE. How many AB's does said defensive replacement have on the year?

If anything the DH is a disadvantage to the AL....Take the Red Sox as an example. When they do make it to the WS, which is inevitable again this year :D, they have to take one of their big bats that they've counted on for production all year out of the lineup when they play in the NL parks. The NL team gets to take a sure out, the pitcher, out of the lineup and insert another hitter into the lineup when they play in an AL park.

People really don't see the advantage of having 9 every day regulars hit in the 2 games compared to taking out the pitcher and putting in a guy not good enough to start?

Come on now, you're spouting cliches. When is the last time you were just totally pumped over a double switch? As for the squeeze play, how many of those do you see each year, 2 or 3? The AL plays some pretty good baseball, they've owned the NL in the World Series, the All-Star Game and in interleague play for awhile now.

Good answer. Papi will still be in the lineup for 2 games in the NL park. In the other game (if necessary) he'll be the guy that you can put in the game at a big time when he can come through in the clutch.

Hank needs to go away. He is an idiot. He goes around and says whatever he wants without even listening to himself. He is an arrogant bafoon.

As for the pitchers hitting, it adds another element to the game that makes it interresting. NL managers actually have to make decisions in late innings whether or not to bat the pitcher. The AL manager sits around the dugout and does nothing virtually until the game is over.

Forced to play by National League rules in the totally asinine same-sport-two-sets-of-rules climate the Senior Circuit lodge brothers insist on maintaining, the Yankees just lost their best pitcher. Chien-Ming Wang came to the Yankees from Taiwan. The rest of the world - in fact every league in baseball from Pee Wee to Triple A - uses the DH. But there was Wang running the bases for the first time in his major league career because the lame commissioner and his lackeys are more interested in making money than leveling the playing field. In Interleague play and the World Series, home league rules apply. Trying to score from second, Wang trashed his right foot and ankle and will be out until at least Sept. 1.

Nice article realted to this story:

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/sports/columnists/20080620_Bill_Conlin__National_League_still_living_like_it_s_1973.html

The rest of the world - in fact every league in baseball from Pee Wee to Triple A - uses the DH

Especially this part.

When did amateur baseball (Pee Wee, Little Leauge, Babe Ruth) start using the DH? Why don't they start using aluminum bats also? That will certainly make for more offense. :rolleyes:

Does every league above 8th grade except the NL really use the DH? That's hard for me to believe. Do you think a major sport in this country should play the exact same game w/ different rules?

Trust me I never cared what anyone who supports the DH thinks

Keep caring about the NL while they keep getting swept in the World Series. At least those teams will get some neat NL Champion rings and banners.

Keep caring about the NL while they keep getting swept in the World Series. At least those teams will get some neat NL Champion rings and banners.

2001 Arizona Diamondbacks 4 New York Yankees 3

2002 Anaheim Angels 4 San Francisco Giants 3

2003 Florida Marlins 4 New York Yankees 2

2004 Boston Red Sox 4 St. Louis Cardinals 0

2005 Chicago White Sox 4 Houston Astros 0

2006 St. Louis Cardinals 4 Detroit Tigers 1

2007 Boston Red Sox 4 Colorado Rockies 0

Yes, there's some sweeps, but overall the NL have held there own, pretty much every year. The NL getting swept last year, was the result of a long layoff where the Rocks timing was clearly off, not the result of not playing the year using a DH

2001 Arizona Diamondbacks 4 New York Yankees 3

2002 Anaheim Angels 4 San Francisco Giants 3

2003 Florida Marlins 4 New York Yankees 2

2004 Boston Red Sox 4 St. Louis Cardinals 0

2005 Chicago White Sox 4 Houston Astros 0

2006 St. Louis Cardinals 4 Detroit Tigers 1

2007 Boston Red Sox 4 Colorado Rockies 0

Yes, there's some sweeps, but overall the NL have held there own, pretty much every year. The NL getting swept last year, was the result of a long layoff where the Rocks timing was clearly off, not the result of not playing the year using a DH

I think the Red Sox being a vastly superior team might have had something to do with it as well. ;) The Rockies may not have been swept but they'd have been hard pressed to take it to even 6 games anyway. There are more than some sweeps, the AL has swept the NL 3 of the past 4 years, that's 75% of the time for those scoring at home. :thumb:

I think the Red Sox being a vastly superior team might have had something to do with it as well. ;) The Rockies may not have been swept but they'd have been hard pressed to take it to even 6 games anyway. There are more than some sweeps, the AL has swept the NL 3 of the past 4 years, that's 75% of the time for those scoring at home. :thumb:

And while sweeps may not keep happening, I could easily see the AL winning at least 3 of the next 4.