To the Referee I Met Today at Italianfest

Birdsfan

Earlier this evening, as I was passing through a large crowd at the Newport Italianfest, a guy (seeing my BGP hat) stopped me and says, "Are you going to go get on BluegrassPreps and bad mouth referees?"

He said it with a smile; but the implication was clearly quite serious. I asked him if he was a member. He said he was not. Sensing that his only intention was to express his own frustrations, I simply assured him that not everyone does things like that, and then left him in the dust. But now that I've had time, and have this platform, let me address him more thoroughly.

Dear Mr. Referee Guy,

I hope you read this, but I suspect you never will, because you don't care enough to take the time to get involved in the discussion. You've read the angry words of a few disgruntled coaches, players or fans, and summarily convicted an entire on-line community.

Sometimes officials (referees included) deserve some criticism. Maybe they had a bad outing -- we all do sometimes. Maybe they blew a crucial call -- none of us is perfect. Maybe they just suck at their job -- some people just aren't meant for a particular job, whether they can admit it to themselves or not.

That being said, no Mr. Referee Guy, I don't get on here and bad-mouth referees...or any other kind of official. I don't personally know anyone who does; although I'm well aware that such people do exist. The men and women who officiate youth sports provide a great service to our student athletes. Often, it is at the cost of much abuse and aggravation. There are often few rewards and even fewer expressions of gratitude for their hard work. My father was an umpire and a referee. So I've seen it all, albeit second-hand.

BGP is about constructive discussion. We have never allowed, and will never allow someone's (official or not) character to be attacked unfairly or comments to be made that are patently untrue. I invite you to examine our rules page if you believe otherwise.

Your biting remarks remind me of the words of Shakespeare from Hamlet: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." It's usually the most vocal complainers who are most deserving of everything they've gotten. I suspect this may be the case in this instance as well.

So, if you don't like what is being said about referees on BGP, or anywhere else, join the discussion...defend your position...participate! If you choose not to, I have not one ounce of sympathy for your cause. I will see no merit in your protest. If you don't like what you're reading, don't tell me that you want to stay out of it. Do just the opposite -- get involved. Stand up for yourself. Have some intestinal fortitude!

Like I said, I doubt that you will ever see these words; but I hope you do. In any case, I feel better for having typed them. You made me angry, and the farther I got from the exchange, the more I felt the need to respond. And being a member of BGP allows me that opportunity. It's an open forum for the exchange of ideas, discussion of issues, and friendly debate. What a concept!

Hey! Why don't you give it a try sometime. :thumb:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great reply, BF!

I think those of us that love sports realize that officials have a difficult job. Like in every job, there are great ones, good ones and bad ones. If there were a BGP for education, then we would see the same things said about teachers (my profession). The way I look at it, this guy can either be a part of the problem and complain...or a part of the solution and do a better job. :thumb:

Nice gathering at the fest... but when you get your food.. DON'T stand in the middle of the walk path and eat it.
Yeah! :thumb: I had rotoni and meatballs from Pompillio's. It was GOOOOOOOD! :cool:

Also got to see my boys, Ray Massa and the Eurorythms, perform. Those guys are awesome. Got to have a brief talk with Tony Demalfi after the show. He's the heavy-set lead singer of the group. Great guy.

Earlier this evening, as I was passing through a large crowd at the Newport Italianfest, a guy (seeing my BGP hat) stopped me and says, "Are you going to go get on BluegrassPreps and bad mouth referees?"

He said it with a smile; but the implication was clearly quite serious. I asked him if he was a member. He said he was not. Sensing that his only intention was to express his own frustrations, I simply assured him that not everyone does things like that, and then left him in the dust. But now that I've had time, and have this platform, let me address him more thoroughly.

Dear Mr. Referee Guy,

I hope you read this, but I suspect you never will, because you don't care enough to take the time to get involved in the discussion. You've read the angry words of a few disgruntled coaches, players or fans, and summarily convicted an entire on-line community.

Sometimes officials (referees included) deserve some criticism. Maybe they had a bad outing -- we all do sometimes. Maybe they blew a crucial call -- none of us is perfect. Maybe they just suck at their job -- some people just aren't meant for a particular job, whether they can admit it to themselves or not.

That being said, no Mr. Referee Guy, I don't get on here and bad-mouth referees...or any other kind of official. I don't personally know anyone who does; although I'm well aware that such people do exist. The men and women who officiate youth sports provide a great service to our student athletes. Often, it is at the cost of much abuse and aggravation. There are often few rewards and even fewer expressions of gratitude for their hard work. My father was an umpire and a referee. So I've seen it all, albeit second-hand.

BGP is about constructive discussion. We have never allowed, and will never allow someone's (official or not) character to be attacked unfairly or comments to be made that are patently untrue. I invite you to examine our rules page if you believe otherwise.

Your biting remarks remind me of the words of Shakespeare from Hamlet: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." It's usually the most vocal complainers who are most deserving of everything they've gotten. I suspect this may be the case in this instance as well.

So, if you don't like what is being said about referees on BGP, or anywhere else, join the discussion...defend your position...participate! If you choose not to, I have not one ounce of sympathy for your cause. I will see no merit in your protest. If you don't like what you're reading, don't tell me that you want to stay out of it. Do just the opposite -- get involved. Stand up for yourself. Have some intestinal fortitude!

Like I said, I doubt that you will ever see these words; but I hope you do. In any case, I feel better for having typed them. You made me angry, and the farther I got from the exchange, the more I felt the need to respond. And being a member of BGP allows me that opportunity. It's an open forum for the exchange of ideas, discussion of issues, and friendly debate. What a concept!

Hey! Why don't you give it a try sometime. :thumb:

:thumb:

There are a great many refs and coaches who claim they never read BGPs but for some reason they also seem to make reference to the site or tend to know the usernames of those members that from time to time might be critical of their officiating or coaching. I always find it rather comical..

Nice gathering at the fest... but when you get your food.. DON'T stand in the middle of the walk path and eat it.

Shouldnt they move that back to South Newport? I looked down at the festival on Friday night from the Levy and it was dead at best. The draft beer was $6 a cup and that is outrageous. Its not Oktoberfest where you have 500,000 people and you can name your beer price. I just think too many people have alternative options when its held down at the floodwall. JMO

ON the referee post, great job Birdsfan. You said it for many of us who were thinking it. Sounds like that referee might be a little insecure.

Shouldnt they move that back to South Newport? I looked down at the festival on Friday night from the Levy and it was dead at best. The draft beer was $6 a cup and that is outrageous. Its not Oktoberfest where you have 500,000 people and you can name your beer price. I just think too many people have alternative options when its held down at the floodwall. JMO

ON the referee post, great job Birdsfan. You said it for many of us who were thinking it. Sounds like that referee might be a little insecure.

I think the weather scared a lot of people from going down there Friday. And $6 beers? Ouch.

Yeah! :thumb: I had rotoni and meatballs from Pompillio's. It was GOOOOOOOD! :cool:

Also got to see my boys, Ray Massa and the Eurorythms, perform. Those guys are awesome. Got to have a brief talk with Tony Demalfi after the show. He's the heavy-set lead singer of the group. Great guy.

I would kill for a plate of good meatballs:cry::cry::D

OH yea he has read BGP....well I do hope he reads your letter...good job:thumb::thumb:

Shouldnt they move that back to South Newport? I looked down at the festival on Friday night from the Levy and it was dead at best. The draft beer was $6 a cup and that is outrageous. Its not Oktoberfest where you have 500,000 people and you can name your beer price. I just think too many people have alternative options when its held down at the floodwall. JMO.

I was there last night and it was packed. I agree though. I liked it better when it was in the shopping center. It had more of a community feel to it. It seems a little too commercial for me now. Drink prices in general were ridiculous. $2.50 for bottled water??? No thanks. BTW, the onion rings from Tony's were ridiculously awesome. :thumb:

I have to ask, did you have rotini and meatballs or rigatoni and meatballs?

I have to ask, did you have rotini and meatballs or rigatoni and meatballs?
That's funny, because I had originally put rigatoni, but then changed it to rotini. Guess I didn't look at the whole word when I edited it.