To the Referee I Met Today at Italianfest

Birdsfan

I am 100% certain that you tell the truth. Though I have never met him, BF has offered me so much assistance on this site and has NEVER been too busy to help...usually resizing photos for me, including the one that I use as my avatar. Self-serving? I don't think so.
:thumb: Best guy... no check that, best human being I've ever had the pleasure to be acquainted with.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First of all...questioning an official's calls does not necessarily equate to criticizing.

Secondly, as important as his actual name telling you that Birdsfan is a Highlands fan, you might want to look at the word "moderator" under his name. You may not know them personally, but they are the reason that we use this site and you and I owe them respect.

Lastly, how in any way is his message self-serving? What advantage does he gain?

Thanks True Blue (and Gold). :thumb:

Your words are greatly appreciated.

Obviously, I'm not whining at all. Simply commenting on those who do.

As I said, I know no one who gets online and unfairly bashes officials. You're attempting to change the argument here a little, and that's not going to work. The issue was not if I know anyone who has ever criticized an official. Everyone criticizes officials at one time or another. But again, that was not your original statement.

I'll just let your post speak LOUDLY for itself. :rolleyes:

Self-serving...

Surely you realize that an official getting on BGP and debating his correctness would be wholly damaging to his credibility. And just like you can't explain the nuances of the triple option to your wife, it is equally difficult to explain rules and interpretations to MOST of the general public. At the end of the day MOST of the disagreements are over judgement calls, so what is the point of debate?

I'm not saying it is wrong to criticize officials. I am saying that I have seen quite a bit on here over the football/basketball/baseball seasons. Some fair/some unfair from what I have read. I can understand why this official may think that BGP is just a place where unfounded tirades against officials are spread, if he has never visited the site. We all know that some posters have more credibility than others, but the general public doesn't know that.

Just my 2 cents.

:thumb: Best guy... no check that, best human being I've ever had the pleasure to be acquainted with.

And if BF is self serving it would be the first I've heard of it.

I think I can understand more of where the official is coming from, and BF is just trying to show everyone what a possible perception of BGP may be, but I certainly don't think his post was self serving in the least.

I'll give this a crack. (BTW none of this is directed specifically at you)

Because they are giving their time where you will not.

Because they are experiencing a severe shortage of applicants.

Because fewer and fewer take the time to become great officials.

Because it is a kids game, not the NFL or college, and it should be treated as such.

Because it is an avocation, not a vocation. Do they criticize how terrible you are on the golf course? Or how bad you are at landscaping?

I was always taught to respect officials growing up, yes sir, no sir. It seems that some people weren't taught the same thing or it is "do as I say, not as I do".

I gave my time as an ump and a coach. Got criticized from time to time and it didn't bother me a bit. People have a right to criticize IMO, it's a free country. I can handle criticism, I guess some people can't.

That being said, no Mr. Referee Guy, I don't get on here and bad-mouth referees...or any other kind of official. I don't personally know anyone who does;

Wow. I obviously hit a nerve. I don't care if Birdsfan roots for Highlands, Beechwood, or Trinity. My point was made to the bolded part above. If Birdsfan says he doesn't know anyone who criticizes officials, he is the FIRST person in the world to be able to make that claim.

I bet if I go back into Highlands threads that I can find some posters that are criticizing an official in some sport and that Birdsfan knows them. THAT's my point. Who is naive enough to think they know no one who criticizes officials?

Now let me throw this out there so that Highlands fans don't think they are being picked on: Change Highlands to EVERY other high school in the state and its still a true statement (other than Birdsfan knowing them).

Officials who make mistakes deserve criticism. However, it won't take me long to find people's posts on here who THINK they know the rules AND they criticize the official for MISSING the call when in reality they don't know squat about the rules. Add in comments like "they swallowed their whistle" and "he's lazy" and "he was intimidated by the other coach" etc and its criticizing officials.

What's so hard to believe here?

I was always taught to respect officials growing up, yes sir, no sir. It seems that some people weren't taught the same thing or it is "do as I say, not as I do".

I agree completely. Maybe I should have used the word "question" instead of "criticize." There's a huge difference between questioning officials' calls and bashing. I will maintain that I know no one (personally) who bashes officials.

I'll give this a crack. (BTW none of this is directed specifically at you)

Because they are giving their time where you will not.

Because they are experiencing a severe shortage of applicants.

Because fewer and fewer take the time to become great officials.

Because it is a kids game, not the NFL or college, and it should be treated as such.

Because it is an avocation, not a vocation. Do they criticize how terrible you are on the golf course? Or how bad you are at landscaping?

I'll give a crack at your response - none of this is directed at you.

You might be suprised at how much time some of us GIVE to sports programs - and I mean GIVE - where officials get paid, we volunteers do not.

I have had my vocation criticized here more than I believe any other profession, except for maybe the President or Congress. As a teacher, I have defended myself and my profession. You know what? There are bad teachers that don't deserve my defense. Just like there are bad officials that don't deserve yours.

You and I may choose NOT to criticize officials, teachers, presidents, senators, golfers or landscapers...but the truth remains that it is our right as a citizen of the US and a member of BGP for us and others to do so. What we do NOT have the right to do is be derogatory to a moderator.

Yeah, those rotten Highlands fans. :rolleyes:

Why is it that you think officials shouldn't be criticized? What's so special about them? Why should they be off limits?

Who says they shouldn't be criticized? Not me.

I gave my time as an ump and a coach. Got criticized from time to time and it didn't bother me a bit. People have a right to criticize IMO, it's a free country. I can handle criticism, I guess some people can't.

I don't mind the criticism either. But things have changed a lot in the last 20 years. It is one thing to sit at a game and criticize the umpire face to face, it is entirely another to get on here and do it. This leads to false accusations, false reports, and generally bad things.

For instance, if I post a thread on here that says "Official blows call", even if I were a poster and proved it was the right call, the perception is that the call was blown.

Furthermore, lots of kids read this, and it seems like criticizing officials has become more of a sour grapes thing lately. Which, IMO, is the wrong message to send to kids.

I agree completely. Maybe I should have used the word "question" instead of "criticize." There's a huge difference between questioning officials' calls and bashing. I will maintain that I know no one (personally) who bashes officials.

You should read some of the basketball threads from this year. I think these would qualify as bashing. It's no wonder officials won't get on here and make their point of view known

03-12-2008, 12:28 AM #12

kats72

Rookie

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a joke!!!! Isn't he the one who thinks people come to the games to see him?

03-12-2008, 11:35 AM #18

madman

All State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mack The Knife

I know Brian Sandlin is calling the boys. Not sure of any others.

If that's the best the 8th has to offer, I feel for them. Sandlin wants to have the spotlight on him and he will make some calls to ensure this happens. Coldiron is a much better official. Can't believe he isn't going.

03-12-2008, 09:54 PM #25

madman

All State

Quote:

That would make since why Coldiron would not be working either the boys or the girls. I would say they would want some other officals to have that experience. BTW, Mark Howell is an excellent official.

IMO, he's not very good either. If he and Sandlin are the best in the 8th Region, that's very sad. Howell will probably be invisible (swallow his whistle) like he was the few times I saw him and Sandlin will want everyone to see him. No telling what kind of show he will put-on down in Lexington.

03-14-2008, 11:39 PM #35

Tiger1

All State

Quote:

I know Brian Sandlin is calling the boys. Not sure of any others.

This guy is terrible. He doesn't deserve to call middle school games.

03-21-2008, 11:59 PM #72

madman

All State

I thought the Holmes/Paintsville game was the worst officiated game of the day. Some very questionable block/charges, elbows not being called and then some ticky tack calls to make up for the blown calls.

Sandlin was his typical show-boater during the Lex. Cath/Owensboro game. He made sure everyone saw some of his calls by his antics.

03-22-2008, 09:57 AM #73

SAFE AT HOME

All Region

This may be the worst officiated state tourney I have ever seen. There have been 2 or 3 games that were bad for both sides. What's happening?

03-22-2008, 02:58 PM #79

bigdaddyfromcincinnati

JV Player

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFE AT HOME

This may be the worst officiated state tourney I have ever seen. There have been 2 or 3 games that were bad for both sides. What's happening?

I personally dont have a dog in the fight.. But some very very bad calls, There was one tall -bald headed referee that thought he was Mr Referee, just cant believe some of these are suppose to be the best, oh well, maybe they will get better, sure couldnt gotten any worse. why not let the fans coose the referees, they are the ones that have to pay money to watch these jokers

03-23-2008, 06:06 PM #102

Tiger1

All State

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAFE AT HOME

This may be the worst officiated state tourney I have ever seen.

I totally agree with you. The officiating in this state is absolutely pittiful.

If Larry Boucher of the KHSAA can't get better officials than what was at the tournament, then he needs to consider bringing in college officials.

03-12-2008, 08:26 AM #16

diaperdandy

JV Player

Although the 16th region officials tend to do a poor job, I thought last nights officiating in the Elliott Co./Rose Hill game was some of the worst I have seen in a long time. Coming from an unbiased opinion, I couldnt believe some of the calls that were made and some that were not made. There was one trip down the floor where J. Ferguson got a rebound and attempted to put the ball back in and got absolutely murdered and nothing was called. When Rose Hill took the ball back down the floor, Chad Jackson pulled up to shoot a three, made the basket, got hit (barely), and got a foul called. I dont understand how the officials could call the fould on Rose Hills end and not make the call at Elliott Co's end. This is just one example of the many poor calls made last night. I dont know if I would say the officiating decided the outcome of the game, but it was some of the most inconsistent officiating from a crew I've ever seen. (Again, Im from neither of these areas, just there to watch a good game, and it was, but thought I would let my opinion be known)

I can understand why this official may think that BGP is just a place where unfounded tirades against officials are spread, if he has never visited the site. We all know that some posters have more credibility than others, but the general public doesn't know that.
The reason I started this thread was not to rip on officials. As I said earlier, my dad was an official. I know how tough it is. My argument was not with this guys job; but with his attitude, and the way he disparaged BGP in the midst of a large crowd. I felt like he was throwing a very thinly veiled insult at me, and by extension, all of us here on BGP. Maybe I'm a little over-protective; but I love this place and the people here are like family to me. So when some beer-soaked goof made what I interpreted as a snotty remark toward BGP, my claws came out. I just feel like he shouldn't sit back and criticize (oops, there's that word again), but should instead contribute to the discussion in some way.