To the Referee I Met Today at Italianfest

Birdsfan

You are missing the point. I actually KNOW about ten total people on this site. I "talk" to about a hundred of you on a daily basis. BF said that he KNOWS no one that bashes officials. Why is the issue of who someone actually knows a big deal?
Well, BF knows gametime and myself. We have both, at times, criticized officials. Seriously, who hasn't at some point in time in the heat of the moment?

I'm sure there are more...

So..............

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are missing the point. I actually KNOW about ten total people on this site. I "talk" to about a hundred of you on a daily basis. BF said that he KNOWS no one that bashes officials. Why is the issue of who someone actually knows a big deal?

Not to steal your question True Blue - but I am wondering the same thing. :confused:

Not to steal your question True Blue - but I am wondering the same thing. :confused:
I don't care who he actually knows, thats not the issue to me at all. I just don't think it's a fair fight at all, and I'm sure that's what Clyde was alluding to in saying it was self serving.

. Why is the issue of who someone actually knows a big deal?

That being said, no Mr. Referee Guy, I don't get on here and bad-mouth referees...or any other kind of official. I don't personally know anyone who does; although I'm well aware that such people do exist.

The bolded part is the cause of the "who he knows" discussion. Maybe its just me but I find that impossible to believe.

The bolded part is the cause of the "who he knows" discussion. Maybe its just me but I find that impossible to believe.
I believe the crux of his comment to BF, was the following...."Are you going to go get on BluegrassPreps and bad mouth referees?"

While there are many members who do, there are many who don't. If you polled or talked with those who don't utilize BGP, to downgrade/attack an Official, I feel most all would agree, they have made comments during the action toward officials or about a particular call. That doesn't equate, to using BGP to also continue the comments.

I've said things to Umpires or Officials during a contest but I don't utilize BGP, to continue or make a personal attack. Just yesterday, I disagreed with an Umpire and reminded him, "the plate does have corners". He gave me a glacial stare and some comments.

Point being, that those who do make comments during the contests, aren't' always using BGP, to continue a negative tirade toward them. So do and some don't.

BF told he didn't, so good enough for me.

How in the world am I trying to change the argument? You said you didn't know anyone who criticizes officials. I said that's impossible.

Maybe you and I differ on the definition of "unfairly criticizing officials." What's your definition of that?

I will repeat myself yet again. I know noone whounfairly criticizes officials on this site. That's what I said in post #1 and that is what I've said ever since. You want to make it sound more general than that; but that just isn't happenin' for ya'.

If someone says an official "swallowed his whistle" what exactly are they saying? Arent' they really saying "he knew it was a foul but he was afraid to call it?" Isn't that unfair criticism or "bashing?" We're not saying he misapplied a rule. This comment is questioning his integrity. Is that over the line?
Do I know that person? Hmm...

...guess not.

Is that comment over the line, of course not.

scratchhead.gif

Do I know that person? Hmm...

...guess not.

Is that comment over the line, of course not.

Questioning the integrity of a ref is not over the line? Wow. What exactly might be over the line? I'm not an official but I'd much rather have someone say I missed a call or wasn't in position than to question my integrity. You don't think that's over the line?

Maybe that's why officials don't like to get on here if that's your standards.

One man's opinion.

It would also only add to the "criticism" that some officials think they unfairly receive from sites such as this one.

This isn't a fight and it isn't about an official. It's about a person and their publicly voiced opinion.

...to say no one on here or you know no one who criticizes officials at some time, is crazy.
Again, you two guys just aren't getting it. This was never about basic constructive criticism. It's about unfair bashing.

Thanks for stating the point so clearly TB&G! :ylsuper:

I can't figure out what the big hang up over that is either. :eek:

I don't care who he actually knows, thats not the issue to me at all. I just don't think it's a fair fight at all, and I'm sure that's what Clyde was alluding to in saying it was self serving.
Again: Not a fight -- simply a commentary. If I had named the person, THEN it would be a fight.

Questioning the integrity of a ref is not over the line? Wow. What exactly might be over the line? I'm not an official but I'd much rather have someone say I missed a call or wasn't in position than to question my integrity. You don't think that's over the line?

Maybe that's why officials don't like to get on here if that's your standards.

One man's opinion.

In my view, that wasn't (as you described it) about integrity. It sounded to me it was more about the official being afraid to make a particular call. That speaks to their ability and self-cofidence as an official, not to their integrity as a person. Perhaps I misinterpreted your scenario.

And I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from speculating on my "standards."

Now let's knock off this silly side discussion of who I know or don't know. That was NEVER what this thread was supposed to be about!! :irked:

I take BF at his word - if he says he doesn't - then he doesn't. It's as simple as that for me.