To the Referee I Met Today at Italianfest

Birdsfan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow. I obviously hit a nerve. I don't care if Birdsfan roots for Highlands, Beechwood, or Trinity. My point was made to the bolded part above. If Birdsfan says he doesn't know anyone who criticizes officials, he is the FIRST person in the world to be able to make that claim.

I bet if I go back into Highlands threads that I can find some posters that are criticizing an official in some sport and that Birdsfan knows them. THAT's my point. Who is naive enough to think they know no one who criticizes officials?

Now let me throw this out there so that Highlands fans don't think they are being picked on: Change Highlands to EVERY other high school in the state and its still a true statement (other than Birdsfan knowing them).

Officials who make mistakes deserve criticism. However, it won't take me long to find people's posts on here who THINK they know the rules AND they criticize the official for MISSING the call when in reality they don't know squat about the rules. Add in comments like "they swallowed their whistle" and "he's lazy" and "he was intimidated by the other coach" etc and its criticizing officials.

What's so hard to believe here?

Again, you're cleverly trying to change the argument. Not gonna happen though. So sorry.

Again, I can think of not one person who I know personally, who unfairly criticizes officials on BGP. But that really isn't important and has absolutely nothing to do with the point of this thread. So let's move on.

The reason I started this thread was not to rip on officials. As I said earlier, my dad was an official. I know how tough it is. My argument was not with this guys job; but with his attitude, and the way he disparaged BGP in the midst of a large crowd. I felt like he was throwing a very thinly veiled insult at me, and by extension, all of us here on BGP. Maybe I'm a little over-protective; but I love this place and the people here are like family to me. So when some beer-soaked goof made what I interpreted as a snotty remark toward BGP, my claws came out. I just feel like, he shouldn't sit back and criticize (oops, there's that word again), but should instead, contribute to the discussion in some way.

I can sympathize with you a bit. What you need to understand is that there is a lot of resentment from officials for sites like BGP. To be called out by name for giving your time to kids isn't what most of these guys signed on for. Add to that the fact that many times the insults, innuendos, and connotations are often, by rule, incorrect, and you can see why he may be a little jaded towards BGP. Often they don't see the good that is provided by many of the intellgent, frequent, posters on here, only the bad by those whose posts are few and far between.

And we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't think that an official has any place on a site like this. If someone says, "the runner wasn't down, the official blew it", how do you explain that you've had 15 years of training, were right on top of it, and are sure of your call. And more importantly, is anyone really going to listen? The fact of the matter is that many times the RIGHT call is not always the POPULAR call, that is, it isn't always the one that everyone thinks it should be.

By whose standards? I say that he is terrible compared to (insert HGTV person here) and he shouldn't even be out there. :D

Not that he necessarily wants to be out there.........

And you know what RTS will tell you? He couldn't care less what you personally think of his landscaping. :p

Maybe the "official" needs to take lessons from RTS. :thumb:

Simple fact: there are quite a few officials on BGP, and they seem to fit in quite well with the coaches, players, past players, and fans. In fact during football season there are several official questions posted by fans, and answered by officials. I think officials have their place on BGP.

I can sympathize with you a bit. What you need to understand is that there is a lot of resentment from officials for sites like BGP. To be called out by name for giving your time to kids isn't what most of these guys signed on for. Add to that the fact that many times the insults, innuendos, and connotations are often, by rule, incorrect, and you can see why he may be a little jaded towards BGP. Often they don't see the good that is provided by many of the intellgent, frequent, posters on here, only the bad by those whose posts are few and far between.
I agree with this completely!

And we'll have to agree to disagree, I don't think that an official has any place on a site like this. If someone says, "the runner wasn't down, the official blew it", how do you explain that you've had 15 years of training, were right on top of it, and are sure of your call. And more importantly, is anyone really going to listen? The fact of the matter is that many times the RIGHT call is not always the POPULAR call, that is, it isn't always the one that everyone thinks it should be.
I don't think they should be defending their individual calls either. To do so would be identifying themselves. But as an anonymous poster (as most of us are) they CAN come here and say the the same type of constructive things you've said in this thread. They can talk about game rules and interpretations, and contribute a great deal to the conversation, without ever giving away who they are. Maybe they could even set a few of those bashers straight. ;)

Simple fact: there are quite a few officials on BGP, and they seem to fit in quite well with the coaches, players, past players, and fans. In fact during football season there are several official questions posted by fans, and answered by officials. I think officials have their place on BGP.
Amen brother. :thumb:

Simple fact: there are quite a few officials on BGP, and they seem to fit in quite well with the coaches, players, past players, and fans. In fact during football season there are several official questions posted by fans, and answered by officials. I think officials have there place on BGP.

I agree. Particularly in basketball, I have started a "Question for an Official" thread and have been educated by officials on a variety of subjects.

Again, you're cleverly trying to change the argument. Not gonna happen though. So sorry.

Again, I can think of not one person who I know personally, who unfairly criticizes officials on BGP. But that really isn't important and has absolutely nothing to do with the point of this thread. So let's move on.

How in the world am I trying to change the argument? You said you didn't know anyone who criticizes officials. I said that's impossible.

You later have posted that you're defending the honor of this site (and indirectly you and other posters like me). I said its self-serving. Who cares what someone else thinks? I hear people criticizing "internet message boards" all the time but it didn't stop me from joining this site.

Maybe you and I differ on the definition of "unfairly criticizing officials." What's your definition of that?

If someone says an official "swallowed his whistle" what exactly are they saying? Arent' they really saying "he knew it was a foul but he was afraid to call it?" Isn't that unfair criticism or "bashing?" We're not saying he misapplied a rule. This comment is questioning his integrity. Is that over the line?

Unless someone is willing to pay for the man to have a membership there is no way this is a fair fight.

It would also only add to the "criticism" that some officials think they unfairly receive from sites such as this one.

I know this site is monitored better than 99.9% of the sites out there, and that's why it's so good, but to say no one on here or you know no one who criticizes officials at some time, is crazy.

Unless someone is willing to pay for the man to have a membership there is no way this is a fair fight.

It would also only add to the "criticism" that some officials think they unfairly receive from sites such as this one.

I know this site is monitored better than 99.9% of the sites out there, and that's why it's so good, but to say no one on here or you know no one who criticizes officials at some time, is crazy.

You are missing the point. I actually KNOW about ten total people on this site. I "talk" to about a hundred of you on a daily basis. BF said that he KNOWS no one that bashes officials. Why is the issue of who someone actually knows a big deal?