To the Referee I Met Today at Italianfest

Birdsfan

No offense but the post sure seems self-serving.

To say that you don't know anyone who criticizes officials is absurd. Why would an official who is bothered by (mostly) unjustified criticism want to get on here and debate people who have proven that they know only about 1/3 of the rules. Arguing with the ignorant is a waste of effort.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Earlier this evening, as I was passing through a large crowd at the Newport Italianfest, a guy (seeing my BGP hat) stopped me and says, "Are you going to go get on BluegrassPreps and bad mouth referees?"

He said it with a smile; but the implication was clearly quite serious. I asked him if he was a member. He said he was not. Sensing that his only intention was to express his own frustrations, I simply assured him that not everyone does things like that, and then left him in the dust. But now that I've had time, and have this platform, let me address him more thoroughly.

Dear Mr. Referee Guy,

I hope you read this, but I suspect you never will, because you don't care enough to take the time to get involved in the discussion. You've read the angry words of a few disgruntled coaches, players or fans, and summarily convicted an entire on-line community.

Sometimes officials (referees included) deserve some criticism. Maybe they had a bad outing -- we all do sometimes. Maybe they blew a crucial call -- none of us is perfect. Maybe they just suck at their job -- some people just aren't meant for a particular job, whether they can admit it to themselves or not.

That being said, no Mr. Referee Guy, I don't get on here and bad-mouth referees...or any other kind of official. I don't personally know anyone who does; although I'm well aware that such people do exist. The men and women who officiate youth sports provide a great service to our student athletes. Often, it is at the cost of much abuse and aggravation. There are often few rewards and even fewer expressions of gratitude for their hard work. My father was an umpire and a referee. So I've seen it all, albeit second-hand.

BGP is about constructive discussion. We have never allowed, and will never allow someone's (official or not) character to be attacked unfairly or comments to be made that are patently untrue. I invite you to examine our rules page if you believe otherwise.

Your biting remarks remind me of the words of Shakespeare from Hamlet: "The lady doth protest too much, methinks." It's usually the most vocal complainers who are most deserving of everything they've gotten. I suspect this may be the case in this instance as well.

So, if you don't like what is being said about referees on BGP, or anywhere else, join the discussion...defend your position...participate! If you choose not to, I have not one ounce of sympathy for your cause. I will see no merit in your protest. If you don't like what you're reading, don't tell me that you want to stay out of it. Do just the opposite -- get involved. Stand up for yourself. Have some intestinal fortitude!

Like I said, I doubt that you will ever see these words; but I hope you do. In any case, I feel better for having typed them. You made me angry, and the farther I got from the exchange, the more I felt the need to respond. And being a member of BGP allows me that opportunity. It's an open forum for the exchange of ideas, discussion of issues, and friendly debate. What a concept!

Hey! Why don't you give it a try sometime. :thumb:

I always figured you would be taller in person ;)

To say that you don't know anyone who criticizes officials is absurd. Why would an official who is bothered by (mostly) unjustified criticism want to get on here and debate people who have proven that they know only about 1/3 of the rules. Arguing with the ignorant is a waste of effort.

Couldn't agree more.

No offense but the post sure seems self-serving.

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong Clyde. I would love to know how I could possibly be serving myself by speaking out against this person's comments -- doesn't make much sense to me. Could it be, that you are an official yourself. That might explain your over-the-top reaction here.

I personally know not one person that criticizes officials on this site. But, as I very clearly stated above, I'm well aware that there are people who do -- both justified and unjustified.

The truth is, people who criticize officials are often VERY correct in doing so. If an official doesn't have the guts to come on here and engage in an honest discussion, I have no time for their whining.

Edited by Birdsfan

No offense, but you couldn't be more wrong Clyde. I would love to know how I could possibly be serving myself by speaking out against this person's comments -- doesn't make much sense to me. Could it be, that you are an official yourself. That might explain your over-the-top reaction here.

I personally know not one person that criticizes officials on this site. But, as I very clearly stated above, I'm well aware that there are people who do -- both justified and unjustified.

The truth is, people who criticize officials are often VERY correct in doing so. If an official doesn't have the guts to come on here and engage in an honest discussion, I have no time for their whining.

100% self-serving.

No, I am not an official.

I guess you're a Highlands fan by your name so I find it hard to believe that a)you know none of the other Highlands fans on here or b)all the ones you know have NEVER criticized officials calls. Its absurd to even entertain such a thought.

The people that think others are correct in their criticizing of officials are the ones who THINK they know how to officiate when they usually prove that they do not.

It is ironic that you say you have no time for others' whining.

100% self-serving.

I guess you're a Highlands fan by your name so I find it hard to believe that a)you know none of the other Highlands fans on here or b)all the ones you know have NEVER criticized officials calls. Its absurd to even entertain such a thought.

The people that think others are correct in their criticizing of officials are the ones who THINK they know how to officiate when they usually prove that they do not.

First of all...questioning an official's calls does not necessarily equate to criticizing.

Secondly, as important as his actual name telling you that Birdsfan is a Highlands fan, you might want to look at the word "moderator" under his name. You may not know them personally, but they are the reason that we use this site and you and I owe them respect.

Lastly, how in any way is his message self-serving? What advantage does he gain?

100% self-serving.

Yeah, those rotten Highlands fans. :rolleyes:

Why is it that you think officials shouldn't be criticized? What's so special about them? Why should they be off limits?

First of all...questioning an official's calls does not necessarily equate to criticizing.

Secondly, as important as his actual name telling you that Birdsfan is a Highlands fan, you might want to look at the word "moderator" under his name. You may not know them personally, but they are the reason that we use this site and you and I owe them respect.

Lastly, how in any way is his message self-serving? What advantage does he gain?

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If he knew BF one tenth as well as I know him, he'd know how foolish his comments are.

100% self-serving.

Obviously, I'm not whining at all. Simply commenting on those who do.

As I said, I know no one who gets online and unfairly bashes officials. You're attempting to change the argument here a little, and that's not going to work. The issue was not if I know anyone who has ever criticized an official. Everyone criticizes officials at one time or another. But again, that was not your original statement.

I'll just let your post speak LOUDLY for itself. :rolleyes:

Edited by Birdsfan

100% self-serving.

Listen Clyde, this thread was started as an opinion and a topic for discussion. It does not matter what team the person is rooting for. He was just stating an opinion and sharing it with the other members for input.

I have a feeling that your definition of "Criticizing" is different then what most are thinking of. Do I know people who question a call by an official? Yes. But, "Criticize" as Birdsfan used it, I think is a much deeper phrase. All officials miss calls or make mistakes, and even though we get upset at the time, I think we all know and understand that this happens.

You, nor I, can say for sure that Birdsfan does or does not know anyone that criticizes officials, that is for him to tell us.

You elude to Birdsfan being a whiner. I assure you if you knew him personally, as I do, you would not ever associate the the word "Whiner" with him.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

If he knew BF one tenth as well as I know him, he'd know how foolish his comments are.

I am 100% certain that you tell the truth. Though I have never met him, BF has offered me so much assistance on this site and has NEVER been too busy to help...usually resizing photos for me, including the one that I use as my avatar. Self-serving? I don't think so.

Yeah, those rotten Highlands fans. :rolleyes:

Why is it that you think officials shouldn't be criticized? What's so special about them? Why should they be off limits?

I'll give this a crack. (BTW none of this is directed specifically at you)

Because they are giving their time where you will not.

Because they are experiencing a severe shortage of applicants.

Because fewer and fewer take the time to become great officials.

Because it is a kids game, not the NFL or college, and it should be treated as such.

Because it is an avocation, not a vocation. Do they criticize how terrible you are on the golf course? Or how bad you are at landscaping?

I was always taught to respect officials growing up, yes sir, no sir. It seems that some people weren't taught the same thing or it is "do as I say, not as I do".