Text messaging at a funeral

cheapseats

I have seen people text during movies, school plays, award ceremonies, and graduations and I recently saw a guy text during a funeral. Not just a few times but alot. Is it just me or is this incredibly rude? What about people who text while they are talking to you? Maybe I am just old and should get with it but this drives me crazy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen people text during movies, school plays, award ceremonies, and graduations and I recently saw a guy text during a funeral. Not just a few times but alot. Is it just me or is this incredibly rude? What about people who text while they are talking to you? Maybe I am just old and should get with it but this drives me crazy.

I'd like to think that I would think to turn off the phone for an hour or so.

And what's up with people with the Bluetooths (Blueteeth?) at Kroger and Wal-Mart?

That is disrespectful beyond all belief! Not to long ago, we hasd a board meeting at work and this guy was texting or playing with his blackberry the untire time I was speaking, I wanted to beat the crap out of him!

At a funeral, yes it is disrespectful. Anywhere else, I am ok with it. I think it is less rude texting in a place like the movies or places of that nature than answering you phone and actually talking to them, IMO.

And what's up with people with the Bluetooths (Blueteeth?) at Kroger and Wal-Mart?

Now THOSE things annoy beyond belief.

No one should even have their phone on after they step out of the car to attend the funeral. At least put the darn thing on Silent. Turn the ringtone on only after you get back into the car to go home or wherever you may be going.

What really makes me say "Why?" is when one answers there phone while watching a movie. Texting during a movie is fine by me but saying, "Hello!!! Are you there??" (just answering at all really) is stupid, literally stupid.

I can't think of any circumstance where texting would be acceptable at a funeral.

As to the Bluetooth at Kroger, I've been freaked out on several occasions by people who appeared to be talking and gesturing to themselves.:eek: Crazy! There's also something de-humanizing about the way those things look.

How about standing in line behind someone who is on the phone and they ask the person waiting on them to "wait a minute" or better yet they gesture be putting up their hand. I personally think they should move on to the next person.

HELLO--You aren't the only person in the world.

I can't think of any circumstance where texting would be acceptable at a funeral.

Sick child at home.

Child texts you the parent that they are broken down alongside the road.

I could think of many more incidents to receive or send a text.

Now, to be doing it consistently is a different matter and I would agree with you.

Texting is great but has become an obsession with teenagers and it is wrong at a funeral. My wife hates it when I get funny txts from my buddies in the middle of an evening or night out on the town. She says its rude.