Text messaging at a funeral

cheapseats

For awhile, and maybe the still do, they kicked people out of movie theatres if an employee was in the theater(usually big new releases) and saw you texting. I, personally, don't understand this, because me texting isn't ruining your movie experience.

The consistant funeral texting thing isn't acceptable.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't think of any circumstance where texting would be acceptable at a funeral.

As to the Bluetooth at Kroger, I've been freaked out on several occasions by people who appeared to be talking and gesturing to themselves.:eek: Crazy! There's also something de-humanizing about the way those things look.

That has happened to me, too! It always reminds me of that Southwest Airlines "wanna get away?" commercial where the plain girl thinks the guy is professing his love for her at a meeting, but he's really on his Bluetooth!:lol:

For awhile, and maybe the still do, they kicked people out of movie theatres if an employee was in the theater(usually big new releases) and saw you texting. I, personally, don't understand this, because me texting isn't ruining your movie experience.

The light from your phone can draw your attention away from the movie especially if the person isn't exactly trying to hide it.

Text messaging has gotten me through several long lectures in class, lol.

I wish all cell phones would simultaneously explode. They really get on my nerves :lol:.

I can't believe you would say such a thing... :scared: I would not know how to function...

I text more than a person should, but I would not do it at a funeral.

I am guilty of talking on my phone with one person and texting another... :sssh:

If the light from someones cell phone distracts you enough to where you can't watch the movie, you might have a little condition known as Attention Defecit Disorder.

lol, I would agree and I am not saying it really bothers me at all, but I can see why they don't want people fooling around with their phones during a movie.

We have a cell phone that we only use in emergencies.....

I personally don't like texting. Maybe it is because I don't do it, but, I don't understand why you would do it if you can just pick up the phone and talk. It is more personable to talk and hear someone's voice than to see what they are saying!

I used to think that computers were stupid..LOL...now I would not do without it. Maybe it would be the same way if I would text, but, I just will not start. It would cost us way too much money. Our cell cost 20 a month and that is a little too much because of the little time that it is used....however, it has come in very handy a few times when PH was taken to the ER.

We have a cell phone that we only use in emergencies.....

I personally don't like texting. Maybe it is because I don't do it, but, I don't understand why you would do it if you can just pick up the phone and talk. It is more personable to talk and hear someone's voice than to see what they are saying!

I used to think that computers were stupid..LOL...now I would not do without it. Maybe it would be the same way if I would text, but, I just will not start. It would cost us way too much money. Our cell cost 20 a month and that is a little too much because of the little time that it is used....however, it has come in very handy a few times when PH was taken to the ER.

I understand what you are saying about text, but when I text, which is often, I do it usually to multitask. I can text and type, text and read, text and run, text and watch tv, etc. Or sometimes I use text to have conversations that last over a period of time, instead of making multiple calls or one long call, I prefer simply texting twice in maybe an couple hour period. It has also helped in particularly large crowds with loud enviroments (concerts, sporting events, festivals, etc.)

It definitely helps in a noisy situation like ESPNGuy pointed out. I also think it helps when you wanna send the same message to several people like when making plans for an evening or something like that. It's much easier to text ten people all at once than call ten people.

Often, I have something to say to someone, but I don't want to bother them with a call. Or I might not feel like I have enough to talk about to carry on a full conversation. Sometimes, you just don't feel like getting stuck on the phone. ;) It's good for short little exchanges like that.

It also comes in handy in situations where I want to talk to someone, but I'm not (or the other person is not) in a position to do so vocally. I can tell you, it really came in handy during the time my nephew was in the hospital, and during things like RebelK's health crisis.

I have a good texting plan; so it doesn't cost me anything. I just think it's a really useful tool...even if it does wear out your thumbs. :cool:

I have seen people text during movies, school plays, award ceremonies, and graduations and I recently saw a guy text during a funeral. Not just a few times but alot. Is it just me or is this incredibly rude? What about people who text while they are talking to you? Maybe I am just old and should get with it but this drives me crazy.

You may be getting old, I know that I am but this time that doesn't matter. Texting during funeral is way out of line and classless :rolleyes:. This is also inappropriate at the other places that you have mentioned as well. I see all of these people (usually young h.s. or college kids) texting all the time like you have mentioned and I feel the same way that you do. Problem is they don't know or at least they don't care or have enough respect to know how disrespectful this is (remember, the are young and already know everything:D).