Text messaging at a funeral

cheapseats

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Text messaging while driving is even more dangerous than talking. I hate when I see people, especially young kids.

:thumb: I have also seen this. These are the ones that should be caught, fined and have the car and texting taken away. Texting and inappropriate times is one thing but while driving is putting other peoples life in danger as well as their own.

Let's remember though, they are young and already know it all :irked:.

Text messaging is making us a nation of poor "spellars".... :irked:
Not me. I never use the text language stuff. I text the way I would post on here. Takes a little longer; but my OCD wouldn't have it any other way. :cool:

Not me. I never use the text language stuff. I text the way I would post on here. Takes a little longer; but my OCD wouldn't have it any other way. :cool:

:thumb:U and me both!:lol: I'm not an efficient texter because I spell everything out correctly. I'm an English nerd, what can I say?:rolleyes::D

Sick child at home.

Child texts you the parent that they are broken down alongside the road.

I could think of many more incidents to receive or send a text.

Now, to be doing it consistently is a different matter and I would agree with you.

I agree that there are many situation where the person texting at a funeral is legit. Without knowing the situation, we can't say if he's rude or not, but IMO, at least he's texting instead of sitting there talking on the phone the entire time.

As for those bluetooth things, I freaking HATE them. Now, I don't mind them if your in the car, that's great. However, if you're too lazy to hold the phone to your ear while walking down the street or in the store, then go get a life. I see so many people just walking around with those things in their ear, and I want to walk up and rip them out.

I understand what you are saying about text, but when I text, which is often, I do it usually to multitask. I can text and type, text and read, text and run, text and watch tv, etc. Or sometimes I use text to have conversations that last over a period of time, instead of making multiple calls or one long call, I prefer simply texting twice in maybe an couple hour period. It has also helped in particularly large crowds with loud enviroments (concerts, sporting events, festivals, etc.)

Often, I have something to say to someone, but I don't want to bother them with a call. Or I might not feel like I have enough to talk about to carry on a full conversation. Sometimes, you just don't feel like getting stuck on the phone. ;) It's good for short little exchanges like that.

It also comes in handy in situations where I want to talk to someone, but I'm not (or the other person is not) in a position to do so vocally. I can tell you, it really came in handy during the time my nephew was in the hospital, and during things like RebelK's health crisis.

I have a good texting plan; so it doesn't cost me anything. I just think it's a really useful tool...even if it does wear out your thumbs. :cool:

OK...got it!!! You all made it clear for me. In these cases, I guess texting would come in very handy. :thumb:

Sick child at home.

Child texts you the parent that they are broken down alongside the road.

I could think of many more incidents to receive or send a text.

Now, to be doing it consistently is a different matter and I would agree with you.

Though this is not intended as a personal response to you, LBBC -

I disagree. If you have a child at home that is sick enough to warrant a text message update, you should stay at home with the child.

I'm sure that your child has 60 other friends that he/she can text that will come and help him/her out while you take an hour to honor someone that you thought enough of to attend their funeral. If not, let him/her wait or be an adult and try to figure out the situation.

Bottom line - a funeral is the last dignity a person gets. If you cannot respect that, don't go to the funeral. Think of them kindly at home with your cell phone in hand, texting.

I think all cell phones should be free. However, every call or text should be very expensive. No plans. That way only important calls are made. How did we survive for so many years with only home and pay phones? People broke down on the side of the road, kids got sick, children ran late.

Texting is great but has become an obsession with teenagers and it is wrong at a funeral. My wife hates it when I get funny txts from my buddies in the middle of an evening or night out on the town. She says its rude.

She does!!!!! :laugh:That's crazy, If only I had your cell number.

A friend of mine used to work for his father-in-law in the car business. A long-time employee died and the management team went to the funeral. The father-in-law called a sales meeting AT THE CHURCH during a respite to review deals!

I think all cell phones should be free. However, every call or text should be very expensive. No plans. That way only important calls are made. How did we survive for so many years with only home and pay phones? People broke down on the side of the road, kids got sick, children ran late.

I would not be in favor this, as I use my cell phone in lieu of a home phone. I know quite a few people who do the same now that it has become such a practicable alternative to a home phone.

How did people survive with the Model-T? No air conditioning? No cable? No BGP?

Do we tax those at a high rate as well?