Who on BGP are in a fraternity?

Springsteen#1

I was a SigEp lil sis (many moons ago) at WKU and . . . an AOTT. After moving to Lexington I was also scholarship adviser at the UK AOTT chapter.

I too wouldn't trade my greek days for anything!!! I had fun but worked hard too. The fraternities and sororities constantly raised money for their philanthropic causes and assisted throughout their communities. Being a part of these organizations taught individuals that a balanced life (social, educational and philanthropic) was expected throughout their lifetimes.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those who are so staunch against fraternities, I simply say "To each their own"... some personalities are just not suited for Greek life, and in no way is this a slant. Greek life is very demanding and oftenvery time consuming, I will never judge a person because they chose not to join a fraternity or a sorority,,, but I also have found that usually those who are the most vocal against Greek life are the one's who truly have no clue what it is really all about.

Greek life truly is what you make of it... some people truly defy the stereotypes, but for ever "Frat Boy" I ever heard of for failing out of school, I could also name 5 more guys not associated with a fraternity who failed out for the same reasons. For me, I honestly cannot even imagine how different my college career would have been without joining a fraternity, BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

I think anyone who ever went to college will agree that the best lessons you learn didn't come from a textbook, it came from your ability to handle social situations, network, balance time, and take on new roles and responsibilities that strech your comfort zone. You could easily get all of this without being in a fraternity, but in my case it made it easier to have it all presented to me.

Just my two cents on the subject....

For those who are so staunch against fraternities, I simply say "To each their own"... some personalities are just not suited for Greek life, and in no way is this a slant. Greek life is very demanding and oftenvery time consuming, I will never judge a person because they chose not to join a fraternity or a sorority,,, but I also have found that usually those who are the most vocal against Greek life are the one's who truly have no clue what it is really all about.

Greek life truly is what you make of it... some people truly defy the stereotypes, but for ever "Frat Boy" I ever heard of for failing out of school, I could also name 5 more guys not associated with a fraternity who failed out for the same reasons. For me, I honestly cannot even imagine how different my college career would have been without joining a fraternity, BUT THAT'S JUST ME.

I think anyone who ever went to college will agree that the best lessons you learn didn't come from a textbook, it came from your ability to handle social situations, network, balance time, and take on new roles and responsibilities that strech your comfort zone. You could easily get all of this without being in a fraternity, but in my case it made it easier to have it all presented to me.

Just my two cents on the subject....

You were in a pretty good fraternity though, some are not so lucky to have such a great bunch of guys beofre them....:lol:

Here is a quote that makes understanding Greek life simple:

"From the outside looking in, you will never understand, from the inside looking out, you will never be able to explain..."

Joining a fraternity was the best decision that I ever made in my life. You don't "pay for your friends" either. 80% to 90% of dues go towards insurance and housing fees. The other small percentages of dues go towards t-shirts, philanthropy, tutoring, etc. The friends you make in college are the people who you will become closest with because they take every step to becoming a man, or a woman, with you. My brothers in SigEp will be the guys standing beside of me at my wedding and them or the their kids will carry me to my grave. That is the type of friendships that I built.

Not true. You are becoming a man/woman your whole life. What makes college different is if you move away from all your friends and have to develop new friendships. Depending on the strength of the friendships in high school they will either remain or deteriorate. If your high school friendships were superficial, and not strong you will probably forget about those people all together. However, if you actually had strong bonds from high school, no frat can replace them. Its a matter of your most recent friendships, and your ability to replace people that aren't important to you, not a matter of growing up.

You were in a pretty good fraternity though, some are not so lucky to have such a great bunch of guys beofre them....:lol:

HAHA What are you talkin about, the fraternity I joined was horrible until I came in... :sssh::lol:J/K

Speakin of which, April 19th is Pig Roast... which really don't matter... but April 18th is when we will all be reuniting at Keeneland. I am goinna fly in Thursday I think.

There is no way that any frat that I could possibly join could develop closer friendships than the ones I already have that were established through high school football.

The vast majority of frat guys you meet are the exact stereotype. And the fact that many frats will let anyone join just so they can get their numbers up is another turnoff.

I just cannot see it as worth the hundreds and eventually thousands of dollars on being in a frat.

Im pretty sure that cliche goes for anyone within any organization who are trying to defend it. I remember saying the same thing to those in my high school days who questioned why in the world would we want to play football. So try not to preach something as if nobody knows where you're coming from.

But comparing a football team to a fraternity isn't very wise IMO, because first impressions are lasting; the first time I saw a group of frat guys "enjoying" themselves, it included being loud, self centered and trying to recrute anyone who asked them where the bathroom was.

So yeah, a fraternity may be a great way to meet new people and establish special friendships...but thats not the message they send to others when seen out in public.

I wouldn't trade my memories, friendships, and experiences from my high school sports days for anything.:thumb:

I'll agree with the ending but at the same time also disagree. Like I said earlier that a lot of times those are the guys that I have seen, but I'm sure that there are many more frat members that don't act outlandish but because of this we don't see them and realize they are in a fraternity. The arrogant guys give the whole group a bad image, just like every other organization, team, etc... has its share of bad apples.

Alright guys this is coming from a guy who in my first two years I was not in a fraternity. I did not join till the spring semester of my junior year, so now I have been in it for a full year now. So I have got to see what it is like from both sides. I know exactly what you all are talking about, because I use to think the same things as you all. I use to say how you are just paying for friends if you join a frat, and that no one could replace my close friends I have already made. I know I actually had no attention to joining a fraternity at all last year either. It was during rush week and I was bored one day, so I figured what the heck I will go out and get to go to a party and get free alcohol and meet some girls. I definitely had no plans to join a fraternity, and it hadn't even crossed my mind. However while I was out there, I got to actually meet some of the guys, and saw how they were pretty cool and pretty laid back and not like the stereotype frat guys like you normally always see. I know I decided to go out out the next night because well that party was just awesome, and the more I got to know the people in the fraternity the more I liked them, and they explained some of the things that go on in the fraternity. It was completely differen't than any other previous idea I had before about fraternities.

I see you all mention football as something that brings people even closer together, and can't replace those friendships you build through that. And wel I will agree with you all there. I know I made some great friends in football, and just all sports in high school. I mean the best friends I have is from my sports days. However I assuming you all would say those sport days and the bond you had with your fellow teammates, were some of the best days of your lives, and would love to relive something like that right? Well a fraternity does come close the bond you form from sports. I know once I joined, it felt good being a part of something with such a strong bond like it was during my football days. So for you all who talk about the football bond you all had with your friends, I don't see how you all can be so against this, because its very close to being the same kind of bond.

The big that about joining a fraternity though is finding the right one for you. That is why there is rush week and stuff for fraternities, because not every fraternity would be right for you. I mean some fraternities really might be like the stereotype frat people which you don't like. I know there are definitely some fraternities on campus here that I don't like, because they act that way. It really is just about finding the right one for you. I mean just because one of them acts like a bunch of stereotype frat boys, it doesn't mean all of them alike that, and its really not fair for you have that opinion about all fraternities then, since you really don' know as someone has said.

HAHA What are you talkin about, the fraternity I joined was horrible until I came in... :sssh::lol:J/K

Speakin of which, April 19th is Pig Roast... which really don't matter... but April 18th is when we will all be reuniting at Keeneland. I am goinna fly in Thursday I think.

I'll be sure to tell Lefty, Kent, Bart, Bob, and Derrick you said that......:lol:

I was an SAE at Morehead back in the day. I didn't think I would join a fraternity but it was one of the best things I ever did. I stayed close with the guys I grew up with since 1st grade. I'm 33 now and talked to 3 of them last week. I made very close friends that were in my dorm the first year and keep in touch with them. I have talked to probably 4 of the guys that were in my fraternity this past week. My wedding consisted of 4 guys I've known since 1st grade and 4 that were in my fraternity.

I think a lot of it depends on where you go to school. If I had gone to Eastern (known as a bar school) then I might not have joined. If you are at Morehead you had 1 place to go out and that was 1 night a week. The rest of the time it was house party's etc. We did our share of that stuff but going out to the fraternity house was like being at a great bar with all of your friends. If you go that route then it's easy to say that people that didn't join a fraternity paid for their friends by going to bars to meet people and spent WAY more money! We also won a national communitty service award while I was there. We won intramurals several times for the year etc. Lifelong friends, networking, doors open that wouldn't have been, meeting girls etc etc. I also got paid to go to a leadership school in Chicago for a week with perks like free Cubs tickets etc. There was a lot too it that outsiders just can't understand. There are a lot of punks in fraternity's and there are a lot that aren't in them. It's easy to stereotype but they all aren't the same.