Who on BGP are in a fraternity?

Springsteen#1

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly indifferent on this issue. I have MANY friends who are in Frat's and are always inviting me to come their parties and what not. On the other hand, I do get the "What is he doing here" look from many of the guys that I don't know. Several people that I considered close a couple years ago joined and I rarely see them anymore. I have seen really cool guys who are in them and the other extreme as well. What really drives me crazy is the girls who won't go for a guy unless he is wearing letters. Overall, I decided not to join one and am happy with that choice.

If anyone is that shallow, they are not worth your time or trouble.

Judging by your rants they have been anything but "good deals." :lol:

The only girl I dated in college while I was in a fraternity I dated for 3 years and she started dating me Pre-greek days, however she is the one who introduced me to my fraternity. I didnt go for the letter chasers but my buddies did and they never had any complaints:sssh:

That's such a shallow statement that I shouldn't even respond, but I will respond with this - it is SOOOOOO much more than that. Probably the greatest decision I ever made was rush SAE at Morehead State. I'm sure other Greeks will agree with me.:thumb:

Good bunch of guys in the mid-late80's, TKE's & SAE's got along fine at Morehead except for you guys being rich an all. ;)

So rocket and wireman have given us 3 reasons why frats are good.

1.Longtime friendships

2.Opportunity for a nice job out of college

3.Girls

All those can also be obtained by a guy not in a frat.

Ok, I like to think I can give a better opinion than those who never joined, I did 2 years of non greek and 2 1/2 of years of Greek life, and when given both options, I wish I had been Greek the whole time I was in college. I've remained in contact with very few people who were my friends in the dorms or through any other areas of college life, mostly girls. I know when I get married I will have ZERO dorm friends in my wedding, and just 2 from high school while probably having 4-5 from my fraternity. Like I said earlier, if you havent done both you truly don't know which is better IMO. I don't really have to justify why I joined, but I think it's comical for those who have never experienced it to say its better to not be in one...

Im pretty sure that cliche goes for anyone within any organization who are trying to defend it. I remember saying the same thing to those in my high school days who questioned why in the world would we want to play football. So try not to preach something as if nobody knows where you're coming from.

But comparing a football team to a fraternity isn't very wise IMO, because first impressions are lasting; the first time I saw a group of frat guys "enjoying" themselves, it included being loud, self centered and trying to recrute anyone who asked them where the bathroom was.

So yeah, a fraternity may be a great way to meet new people and establish special friendships...but thats not the message they send to others when seen out in public.

Just curious, where do you go to school, or where did you go?

I have a question, why is it so disrespectful to refer to a fraternity as a frat?

Would you call your country a ...?

Easy to tell who's in one and who's not. Once I spot the word "frat" I know it is from someone who is not in one.