Who on BGP are in a fraternity?

Springsteen#1

Impressive list of people, used a bunch of top of my head, but getting old I guess. But do know Tracy Lawrence was a Sigma Pi and when he came to Morehead, he invited all back stage and was very nice signin and taking pics.

I never heard of a fraternity not letting members have other friends, that was always the best place to start recruiting new members.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive list of people, used a bunch of top of my head, but getting old I guess. But do know Tracy Lawrence was a Sigma Pi and when he came to Morehead, he invited all back stage and was very nice signin and taking pics.

I never heard of a fraternity not letting members have other friends, that was always the best place to start recruiting new members.

Yeah, I have never heard of that either.

Another interesting story - we raised alot of money for the Jimmy V Foundation in the late 90's. Dicky V invited us to meet him at Rupp Arena before the UK/Maryland game. He actually came down to the Radisson lobby and met with our group and we presented him with one of those gigantic checks. We took photos, shook hands with Dicky V and talked to him for a few minutes. I thought it was very cool. He actually became emotional when he spoke to use about Jimmy V. He was also drinking something that wasn't soda, water, juice, tea, coffee, or milk - and this was about 45 minutes before he was on the air :thumb:

At most universities, those that join Greek organizations are most often the campus leaders (in SGA, volunteer work, internships, etc.)

Check. Except I choose not to participate in SGA since it is, essentially, a Greek council.

make better connections

I suppose that is subjective, but I've plenty.

provided opportunities for leadership development

Check.

scholarship and career development

Check

community service

Check

social interaction

I would put my friends up against any frat.

and other advantages.

:creepy:

From my standpoint, a frat provides nothing for me but a smaller wallet and not nearly as cool friends.

And frat, frat, frat, fratty, mcfrat. For good measure.

Check. Except I choose not to participate in SGA since it is, essentially, a Greek council.

I suppose that is subjective, but I've plenty.

Check.

Check

Check

I would put my friends up against any frat.

:creepy:

From my standpoint, a frat provides nothing for me but a smaller wallet and not nearly as cool friends.

And frat, frat, frat, fratty, mcfrat. For good measure.

:irked:

There is no way that any frat that I could possibly join could develop closer friendships than the ones I already have that were established through high school football.

The vast majority of frat guys you meet are the exact stereotype. And the fact that many frats will let anyone join just so they can get their numbers up is another turnoff.

I just cannot see it as worth the hundreds and eventually thousands of dollars on being in a frat.

I have had a handful of close friends that have joined a frat and parted ways with their longtime friends that were not in a frat. At NKU it seems like these frat guys dont realize they are out of high school and in college now. Its like a social popularity contest, which is really annoying. I guess I have enough good friends that a frat doesn't appeal to me, thankfully. Oh, and my friends are FREE!

Here is a quote that makes understanding Greek life simple:

"From the outside looking in, you will never understand, from the inside looking out, you will never be able to explain..."

Joining a fraternity was the best decision that I ever made in my life. You don't "pay for your friends" either. 80% to 90% of dues go towards insurance and housing fees. The other small percentages of dues go towards t-shirts, philanthropy, tutoring, etc. The friends you make in college are the people who you will become closest with because they take every step to becoming a man, or a woman, with you. My brothers in SigEp will be the guys standing beside of me at my wedding and them or the their kids will carry me to my grave. That is the type of friendships that I built.

A lot has to do with participation and community involvement. Your average Greek will be involved with a lot more than your average non-Greek. I would take my chances that established connections through a greek system (in most casses) trumph that exponentially of those not in a Greek system. I am sure some geek (minus the r :lol:) has done a study on it out there :lol: Fair or unfair, that is the way life works. In my wedding I had a couple of people I met while in my fraternity, and a couple of people I grew up with. It is hard to believe for some (I used to think the same way), but many are able to establish long-lasting true friendships that started after the age of 18. I did not marry my high school crush either :lol:

I think many non-greeks also have the perception that you are BFF with all 70 dudes, or however many are in the fraternity. That is hardly the case. It is just like being in high school, on some level. You make your close friends but you have others. Does that make sense?

I would also turn off the television "stereotype." I am pretty level headed and it is nothing like that. Most would tell you that is why they most enjoy being in a fraternity is because that is all myth.

Here is a quote that makes understanding Greek life simple:

"From the outside looking in, you will never understand, from the inside looking out, you will never be able to explain..."

Joining a fraternity was the best decision that I ever made in my life. You don't "pay for your friends" either. 80% to 90% of dues go towards insurance and housing fees. The other small percentages of dues go towards t-shirts, philanthropy, tutoring, etc. The friends you make in college are the people who you will become closest with because they take every step to becoming a man, or a woman, with you. My brothers in SigEp will be the guys standing beside of me at my wedding and them or the their kids will carry me to my grave. That is the type of friendships that I built.

I agree 100%. Those were the friends that were at my wedding. Oh yeah, my best man was my high school friend and fraternity brother. There's no doubt that the best decision I made in college was to join my fraternity and there's no doubt that the best friends I've ever had were some of my fraternity brothers. :thumb:

A lot has to do with participation and community involvement. Your average Greek will be involved with a lot more than your average non-Greek. I would take my chances that established connections through a greek system (in most casses) trumph that exponentially of those not in a Greek system. I am sure some geek (minus the r :lol:) has done a study on it out there :lol: Fair or unfair, that is the way life works. In my wedding I had a couple of people I met while in my fraternity, and a couple of people I grew up with. It is hard to believe for some (I used to think the same way), but many are able to establish long-lasting true friendships that started after the age of 18. I did not marry my high school crush either :lol:

I think many non-greeks also have the perception that you are BFF with all 70 dudes, or however many are in the fraternity. That is hardly the case. It is just like being in high school, on some level. You make your close friends but you have others. Does that make sense?

I would also turn off the television "stereotype." I am pretty level headed and it is nothing like that. Most would tell you that is why they most enjoy being in a fraternity is because that is all myth.

I will second you on the friendship thing. You are friends with the majority of your fraternity brothers, a few of them are merely acquaintences, one or two of them you probably wouldn't pull out of a lake, and a handful of them will be your best friends for life. There are about 10 guys from my fraternity that I would drive to Arizona and give them a ride back to Kentucky without a second thought, if they called.

I will second you on the friendship thing. You are friends with the majority of your fraternity brothers, a few of them are merely acquaintences, one or two of them you probably wouldn't pull out of a lake, and a handful of them will be your best friends for life. There are about 10 guys from my fraternity that I would drive to Arizona and give them a ride back to Kentucky without a second thought, if they called.

I'm right there with you! You'll have some guys that you just know, get along with, and are acquaintances. 10-15 that you become true, great friends with. And 4 or 5 that you would just like to punch! :thumb: