Who on BGP are in a fraternity?

Springsteen#1

I respect anyone's decision not to join a fraternity, but if you think joining one means simply paying dues that go towards nothing but having friends, then you are wrong.

At most universities, those that join Greek organizations are most often the campus leaders (in SGA, volunteer work, internships, etc.), make better connections, provided opportunities for leadership development, scholarship and career development, community service, social interaction, and other advantages.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who needs it when you guys got full contact intramural football? I couldn't be more jealous about that part of Notre Dame.

As for a frat for me. No. God no. I'd rather not pay to have friends.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my view. :thumb:

That's such a shallow statement that I shouldn't even respond, but I will respond with this - it is SOOOOOO much more than that. Probably the greatest decision I ever made was rush SAE at Morehead State. I'm sure other Greeks will agree with me.:thumb:

No it isn't. Even though being in a frat can connect you to opportunities such as scholarships and other advantages...that's hardly what comes to your mind about them when you see a bunch of frat guys at a party being obnoxious and talking about their "group" and trying to solicit their frat on others. Thats just plain out annoying.

Who needs it when you guys got full contact intramural football? I couldn't be more jealous about that part of Notre Dame.

As for a frat for me. No. God no. I'd rather not pay to have friends.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my view. :thumb:

No it isn't. Even though being in a frat can connect you to opportunities such as scholarships and other advantages...that's hardly what comes to your mind about them when you see a bunch of frat guys at a party being obnoxious and talking about their "group" and trying to solicit their frat on others. Thats just plain out annoying.

I'm not sure which "frat" (we call them fraternities) that you've been around, but that's not how it was in my fraternity. Everyone gets hung up on the partying (yes I partied all the time during college and still made a 3.7 GPA), but they often forget about things such as Adopt a Highway, Habitat for Humanity, Jimmy V Foundation, breast cancer awareness, Katrina relief, etc. etc. They also forget about the constant emphasis on making good grades and learning to survive in a structured college environment. How about intramurals? Not to mention, I'm now a member of an alumni association that has hundreds of thousands of alumni spread all across the world. Many of these are celebrities, CEO's, VP's, etc.

A few of my fraternity's famous alumni include (I've highlighted a few of my favorites and I'm sure others on here can post a few of their famous alumni, just to give you an idea):

Literature

Sandro Corsaro - Author and American Animator

William Faulkner - Nobel Prize-winning author, University of Mississippi

Walker Percy - Author, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Television & Movies

James Denton - Actor

George Bodenheimer - President of ESPN Inc. and ESPN on ABC

Beau Bridges - Actor

Lloyd Bridges - Actor

Sam Elliott - actor

Thomas Ewing - former congressman, R-IL, Millikin University

Jeff Filgo - Executive Producer That 70's Show, University of Texas

Terry Gilliam - film director, member of Monty Python

Bob Goen - former co-host of Entertainment Tonight

Joshua Holmes - International Model, Celebrity Blogger

Richard Kind - actor

Matt Long - actor, Western Kentucky University

Michael Rosenbaum - actor, Lex Luther: Smallville, Western Kentucky University

Fred Savage - actor, Stanford University

Grant Shaud - actor on "Murphy Brown", University of Richmond

David Spade - actor/comedian, Arizona State University

Kevin Tighe - actor

Charles D. Varnell - George Lucas's right hand man and co-producer of Star Wars

Ed Wilson - President and CEO of Fox Entertainment, University of Arkansas

Robert Young - actor ("Father Knows Best", Marcus Welby, MD)

Paul James (actor) - actor Greek (TV series)

Mat Levy -Reality TV Star "Cheezy" from VH1's I Love New York 2, University of Hartford

Music

Dierks Bentley - country music singer Vanderbilt University

Rudy Vallee - entertainer

Nick Lachey - Singer and former husband of Jessica Simpson at Miami University of Ohio

George McConnell - Guitarist, formerly of Widespread Panic, University of Mississippi

Bobby Hatfield- Singer, Righteous Brothers

Jon "J-Kill" Kilmer- Hip Hop Artist and Producer

Print & Broadcast Journalism

Dave Campbell - ESPN baseball broadcaster

Ron Franklin - ESPN college football and basketball broadcaster, University of Mississippi

Philip Graham - former publisher of the Washington Post and Newsweek, University of Florida

Ernie Harwell - Hall of Fame baseball broadcaster for the Detroit Tigers

Ed Hinton - sportswriter for the Chicago Tribune, Orlando Sentinel, Los Angeles Times, and formerly Sports Illustrated, University of Southern Mississippi

Howard Lalli - executive editor at Edelman, previously editor for Vanity Fair and The New Yorker, Dickinson College

Ernie Pyle - Pulitzer Prize winning WWII journalist, Indiana University (Bloomington)

Charles Strum - associate managing editor for the New York Times, Dickinson College

Business

Henry M. Paulson - Former CEO of Goldman Sachs Group, Secretary of Treasury, Dartmouth College

Josh Abramson - Co-Founder & President, CollegeHumor.com, University of Richmond

Jim Alling - President, Starbucks, DePauw University

Rob Burton - President & CEO, Hoar Construction Company, Auburn University

William T. Dillard - Founder, Dillard's Department Stores, University of Arkansas

Bill Duvall - President, Lincoln Property Company, University of Texas

J.B. Fuqua - Former businessman and philanthropist. The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University is named for him.

Michael Haft - Heir to the Haft business empire including Black and Decker, Dart Books, and Purple Rug Company

Steve Lacy - President & CEO, Meredith Corporation

Ralph Owen - Owen Graduate School of Management at Vanderbilt University is named for him

Tad T. Pardue - Lawyer with Broderick & Associates, Bowling Green, KY, Western Kentucky University

William Perez - CEO, Wm. Wrigley Jr. Company

T. Boone Pickens - Chairman, Mesa Petroleum, Oklahoma State University

Richard Scruggs - Lawyer

Andrew "Lippy" Shaw - Former President & CEO, Lipton Teas Inc.

James E. Sowell - President, Sowell & Co., former Chairman, Board of Regents, Texas Tech University

Howard Wood - Founder, Charter Communications and former President & CEO, Cencom Cable Television, Washington University

William T. Young - Businessman,Founder and first CEO of JIF peanut butter major owner of thoroughbred racehorses, University of Kentucky

Chris Sullivan, founder Outback Steakhouse, [[university of Kentucky}}

J. Michael Faulkner - Restaurant Conglomerate, Jacksonville, FL. Florida State University

David Woodruff - Archer Daniels Midland, Alma College

William "Bill" Krause - Founder and former CEO , Krause Gentle Corp., West Des Moines, Iowa, University of Iowa

Education

Stephen G. Jennings - president of the University of Evansville

Bruce Grube - president of Georgia Southern University

Dr. Luis M. Proenza - president of the University of Akron

Dr. Gary Ransdell - president of Western Kentucky University

Dr. Steven Morgan - president of University of La Verne

Government

Ivan Allen Jr. - Mayor of Atlanta, Georgia Tech

William Reynolds Archer, Jr. - U.S. Representitive, Chairman -House Ways and Means Committee, University of Texas

Haley Barbour - Governor of Mississippi, University of Mississippi

Max Baucus - Montana Senator, University of California-Los Angeles

Allen Boyd - US Representative from Florida (D), Florida State University

Jay Dickey - former US Representative from Arkansas University of Arkansas

Jim DeMint - US Senator from South Carolina, University of Tennessee

Pete Domenici - New Mexico Senator, University of New Mexico

David Drier - US Representative from California, ®University of La Verne

Don Evans - former US Commerce Secretary, University of Texas

Joe Foss - former SD Governor, Medal of Honor recipient, leading USMC ace pilot, 1st Commissioner of the AFL, former NRA President, University of South Dakota

Paul Gillmor - US Representative from Ohio, Miami University

William Guy - former ND Governor, North Dakota State University

John J. Hickey - Wyoming governor (1959-61); U.S. Senator from Wyoming (1961-62), Indiana University

Johnny Isakson - U.S. Senator from Georgia, University of Georgia

Gary Johnson - Former Governor of New Mexico ® University of New Mexico

Ray Jones - Kentucky State Senator (D), University of Kentucky

L.Q.C. Lamar - statesman, Justice of US Supreme Court, Emory College

John Lynch - Governor of New Hampshire, University of New Hampshire

Connie Mack III - former Florida US Senator ®, University of Florida

William McKinley - Twenty-fifth President of the United States ®, Mount Union College

Sidney S. McMath - Former Governor of Arkansas (D), Marine General & Renowned Trial Lawyer, University of Arkansas

Richard Myers - former Chairman, Joint Chiefs of Staff, Kansas State University

Eliot Ness - Prohibition agent, University of Chicago

Hank Paulson - U.S. Treasury Secretary and former Chief Executive Officer, Goldman Sachs, Dartmouth College

Larry Pressler - former South Dakota US Senator ®, University of South Dakota

David Pryor - former Arkansas Governor and US Senator (D), University of Arkansas

Mark Pryor - U.S. Senator from Arkansas (D), University of Arkansas

Robert D. Ray - Governor of Iowa ®, Drake University

Ralph Regula - US Congressman from Ohio ®, Mount Union College

Richard Riley - former US Secretary of Education, Former Governor of South Carolina (D), Furman University

Pat Robertson - Christian leader, 1988 Presidential Candidate, Washington and Lee University

Robert Russell - Georgia Superior Court Judge, University of Georgia

Jerry Sanders - Mayor of San Diego ® (former San Diego Chief of Police), San Diego State University

Kenneth Schissler - former Maryland State Delegate ®, Salisbury State University

John Shadegg - Arizona Congressman ®, University of Arizona

George Smathers- senator and congressman, D-FL, philanthropist, University of Florida

Warren A. Turner- U.S. Senator from Arizona

Louis R. Tobacco- New York State Assemblyman representing Staten Island's 62nd District

Science

Robert Ballard - Oceanographer, Explorer, discovered the wreckage of the RMS Titanic in 1985, "German Battleship Bismarck" in 1989, and the Roman trading ship "Isis".

Steve Fossett - aviator and adventurer

William Oefelein - NASA Astronaut and Lothario.

Robert H. Goddard - Father of modern controlled rocketry, Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Sports

Fran Tarkenton- Quarterback of The Vikings and The Giants, University of Georgia

Andy Douglas - professional wrestler, Morehead State University

Walt Terrell - former professional baseball player, Morehead State University

Harry Agganis - Boston University football All American, Boston Red Sox 1B, "The Golden Greek", Boston University

Chris Ault - University of Nevada-Reno football coach, University of Nevada

Andy Bean - Golf announcer, player on the PGA Champions Tour, University of Florida

Scott Boras - Pro baseball agent, University of the Pacific

Tony Boselli - professional football player, University of Southern California

Doug Brien - Former NFL place-kicker, University of California, Berkeley

Mack Brown - University of Texas football coach, Florida State University

Bob Bryan - tennis player, Stanford University

Mike Bryan - tennis player, Stanford University

Ken Caminiti - former professional baseball player, San Jose State University

Pete Carroll - University of Southern California football coach, University of the Pacific

Jayson Phoenix-professional wrestler Cumberland University

Dan Clark - American Gladiator-Nitro, San Jose State University

Paul Dietzel - Football coach at Louisiana State University, Miami University

Dennis Erickson - Arizona State University football coach, Montana State University

John Gall - Florida Marlins minor leaguer, Stanford University

Peter Gardere - Texas Longhorns Quarterback, 1989 thru 1992. University of Texas

Ryan Garko - Cleveland Indians first baseman, Stanford University

Joey Gilbert - Professional Boxer, University of Nevada

Bob Gilder - Golfer, PGA Champions Tour, Arizona State University

Robert Goddard - father of modern rocketry, Worcester Polytechnic Institute

Mike Gosling - Cincinnati Reds minor league pitcher, Stanford University

Jud Heathcote - Hall of Fame former Michigan State University Basketball Coach

Phil Jackson - professional basketball coach, currently with the L.A. Lakers, University of North Dakota

Bobby Jones - famous amateur golfer/lawyer, Georgia Tech

"Pistol Pete" Maravich - professional basketball player, Louisiana State University

Ron Mason - current athletics director at Michigan State University

Ed McCaffrey - professional football player, Stanford University

Kevin McClatchy - current CEO and former majority owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates

Patrick McEnroe - tennis professional, Stanford University

John W. Mecom, Jr - Owner of the New Orleans Saints and the Mecom Racing Team, University of Texas

Graig Nettles - Former Major League Baseball player, San Diego State University

John Offerdahl - Former NFL linebacker, Western Michigan University

Carson Palmer - Professional NFL Quarterback with the Cincinnati Bengals, University of Southern California

Todd Peterson - Former NFL place-kicker, University of Georgia

Tom Purtzer - Golfer, PGA Champions Tour, Arizona State University

Greg Reynolds - Professional Baseball Player with Colorado Rockies. #2 draft pick in 2006. Stanford University

Dallas Sartz - Washington Redskins linebacker, University of Southern California

Bo Schembechler - Former University of Michigan football coach, Miami University

Drew Stanton - Detroit Lions quarterback, Michigan State University

Adam Seward - linebacker for the Carolina Panthers, University of Nevada, Las Vegas

Barry Switzer - (honorary) former football coach University of Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboys, University of Arkansas

Misc.

George Gallup - founder of The Gallup Poll, University of Iowa

Frank Reed Horton - founder of Alpha Phi Omega service fraternity, Lafayette College

I'm not in one and would never consider joining. I understand that there are behind the scenes benefits, but I believe that a little hard work would result in the same opportunitites. Then there is the stereotypical view of a frat guy, which I have found to be true in a lot of cases. Heck, the majority of the people I know in one joined just for parties, and usually they are parties that I can end up going to if I wanted anyways. I mean I don't have anything against it, just isn't for me. Somebody I know put it best for me, "When I was in college we just went to frat parties to drink their beer and take their women."

I have a friend who goes to school in Tennessee. He rushed last semester, so I guess the state he is in now is "pledging". One of the big ways that I keep in touch with my friends around the country is through Facebook. They made him delete it for this semester (at least). When I asked another friend of mine why (who is in a different fraternity and a different school) he told me that it was to keep him from having a social life outside of the fraternity. I find this incredibly stupid- to block him off from his outside friends

Another friend of mine (been friends since 3rd grade) goes to Centre. He plays football, and we figured that I would come visit him during the season, and he would come see me during the Spring semester. What happens when he rushes a Fraternity? They tell him that he can't leave campus for 2 months.

I do have a third friend in a fraternity who has none of these rules. I guess it is hit or miss, and I hear that the fraternities in the SEC are normally the ones who put on these outrageous rules.

Also you have the stories of all the hazing. Once again, it is probably hit or miss, but it still is ridiculous.

I appreciate all of the volunteer work and the good grades that fraternities promote but sometimes I feel that those things are kind of a trade-off from the university-- do this good stuff and we will let some of the bad stuff slide.

I have never been in one, but I have been told by a lot of guys from my high school that a fraternity is similar to it. However, at CovCath we weren't forced to do anything (at least not in the manner that fraternities do it), which is the difference for me.

I have a friend who goes to school in Tennessee. He rushed last semester, so I guess the state he is in now is "pledging". One of the big ways that I keep in touch with my friends around the country is through Facebook. They made him delete it for this semester (at least). When I asked another friend of mine why (who is in a different fraternity and a different school) he told me that it was to keep him from having a social life outside of the fraternity. I find this incredibly stupid- to block him off from his outside friends

Another friend of mine (been friends since 3rd grade) goes to Centre. He plays football, and we figured that I would come visit him during the season, and he would come see me during the Spring semester. What happens when he rushes a Fraternity? They tell him that he can't leave campus for 2 months.

I do have a third friend in a fraternity who has none of these rules. I guess it is hit or miss, and I hear that the fraternities in the SEC are normally the ones who put on these outrageous rules.

Also you have the stories of all the hazing. Once again, it is probably hit or miss, but it still is ridiculous.

I appreciate all of the volunteer work and the good grades that fraternities promote but sometimes I feel that those things are kind of a trade-off from the university-- do this good stuff and we will let some of the bad stuff slide.

I have never been in one, but I have been told by a lot of guys from my high school that a fraternity is similar to it. However, at CovCath we weren't forced to do anything (at least not in the manner that fraternities do it), which is the difference for me.

I guess some are still a little out of control. There should no longer be any actual "hazing". I can't speak for others, but I know that my fraternity definately never encouraged anyone to stop seeing their other friends. That is just ridiculous.

I guess some are still a little out of control. There should no longer be any actual "hazing". I can't speak for others, but I know that my fraternity definately never encouraged anyone to stop seeing their other friends. That is just ridiculous.

Yeah, it is definitely hit or miss. The entire thing was never for me but I understand why someone would do it.

With all of the alumni and such, I would primarily consider joining as an "investment"; all the money you put into it could be made up faster because of the hookups with jobs from fraternity alumni.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but those in frats often have similar views of those that snub their nose at those in fraternities. Just because you are in a fraternity, does not mean you are obnoxious with nothing better to do than drink beer and pay for friends.

When I lived at the house, my roomates were 1) A young man that has gone on to be a regional campus outreach minister; and 2) The other is a minor league umpire. Myself and these two guys were the furtherest thing from what people perceive all frat guys being.

Those in a frat are often proud to be and not afraid to tell anyone about it (as evident by this thread) because they know the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Does every frat have their share of animals? Sure they do. Chances are, if you were or are not in a frat, your social circle includes a few animals of your own. It just carries a larger stigma and bigger blanket goes over a group of 70 as opposed to a group of 8.

Just playing devil's advocate here, but those in frats often have similar views of those that snub their nose at those in fraternities. Just because you are in a fraternity, does not mean you are obnoxious with nothing better to do than drink beer and pay for friends.

When I lived at the house, my roomates were 1) A young man that has gone on to be a regional campus outreach minister; and 2) The other is a minor league umpire. Myself and these two guys were the furtherest thing from what people perceive all frat guys being.

Those in a frat are often proud to be and not afraid to tell anyone about it (as evident by this thread) because they know the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Does every frat have their share of animals? Sure they do. Chances are, if you were or are not in a frat, your social circle includes a few animals of your own. It just carries a larger stigma and bigger blanket goes over a group of 70 as opposed to a group of 8.

I think there are a few bad apples in every bunch - and that goes for Greeks and non-Greeks.

It happened to me as well. That was the main reason I parted ways with them.