Who is the best basketball official in your region?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Officiating basketball has to be the hardest job---much tougher than football, baseball, softball ect. You can't call every little touch or bump. I think the good officials work a philosophy of "advantage/ disadvantage". I know the 8th and the 9th regions are much better than it used to be years ago. They all try to do a good job but at times it is difficult. The key is being consistant in both halves and from game to game.

If anyone out there wants to give it a shot, I am pretty sure the KHSAA would help you get started.

Some of the best I have seen are Ernie Ligon, Steve Kellam, Terry Coldiron, Dave Watkins, Brian Sandlin, Sean Knollman just to name a few.

First of all, these refs are getting paid to do a job. And some of them really just can't do it. Much as I love the game, I would never take such a position unless I knew for sure I could do a great job. This is not a position where you can learn as you go. At the high school level, the questionable calls have more meaning as far as winning and losing records. The main issue is that there are a lot of great coaches here, and the different skills that they are teaching are being thrown to the shed,because the refs can't make a simple call such as a charge or someone going over the back of a great box out. The questionable officials should remain at the middle school level until they are more proficient at what they are getting paid to do.

First of all, these refs are getting paid to do a job. And some of them really just can't do it. Much as I love the game, I would never take such a position unless I knew for sure I could do a great job. This is not a position where you can learn as you go. At the high school level, the questionable calls have more meaning as far as winning and losing records. The main issue is that there are a lot of great coaches here, and the different skills that they are teaching are being thrown to the shed,because the refs can't make a simple call such as a charge or someone going over the back of a great box out. The questionable officials should remain at the middle school level until they are more proficient at what they are getting paid to do.

There is no such call as "over the back".

9th

Jon Campbell- He is doing some D3 college games now so he doesn't have as much time for HS Basketball. Still the best in my opinion.

Dan Sheilds- Very good with the coaches and players. He lets you talk, as long as your not being smart with him.

Dave Canaract-Style very much like Sheilds. He lets you ask questions from what I can tell and knows the game well.

As for Tim O'Hara, when I played I thought he was one of the best ones, but I really haven't been impressed with him over the past few years.

You must be watching a totally different game than I do. If a player says anything he most definetly keeps his eye on them the rest of the game and they better be careful because he then calls every little thing on that one person. He thinks he "is the show!" He forgets the show is the kids not him.

Campbell is the best, I like Pouncy as well as O'Hara. Chappy and Gabbard sitll do a good job just can't get up and down as well any more. Most of the good 9th region refs have retired and now you see alot of the JV refs doing V, OH my my!! I would prefer the 9th over the 8th and 10th though.

9th lost the best in Brian "Sandman" Sandlin, IMO

What's it called, then? If someone is all over another player's back on a rebound it's still a foul. Most lay folk call it "over the back". Is there an official name for it?

I think what he is trying to say is that there is no penalty for a player reaching over another players back and getting a rebound. There is supposed to be "dispalcement" before referees call a foul.

I think what he is trying to say is that there is no penalty for a player reaching over another players back and getting a rebound. There is supposed to be "dispalcement" before referees call a foul.

Exactly! :ylsuper:

You must be watching a totally different game than I do. If a player says anything he most definetly keeps his eye on them the rest of the game and they better be careful because he then calls every little thing on that one person. He thinks he "is the show!" He forgets the show is the kids not him.

Campbell is the best, I like Pouncy as well as O'Hara. Chappy and Gabbard sitll do a good job just can't get up and down as well any more. Most of the good 9th region refs have retired and now you see alot of the JV refs doing V, OH my my!! I would prefer the 9th over the 8th and 10th though.

This statement isn't accurate.

By any chance were you at the 9th Region All A game last night. Chappy, O'Hara, and Pouncy were the 3 officials. I think if you asked NCC or St. Henry fans this game couldn't have been officiated much worse. Wosrt of all was Pouncy who seemed to be trying to make up for bad calls all night.

Are you kidding???? Talk about someone who thinks he's the show. He was decent official.

I believe that Sandlin was run out of the 9th region. The game is all about him. Puts on a good show so everyone can watch him.