Bob Schneider - NCC

Frank329

http://ncchs.com/bschneider.htm

Although he went 8-2 as a 27-year-old rookie coach, the team's grueling schedule in the Greater Cincinnati League (now the Greater Catholic League) took a toll on him and the program. The Thoroughbreds suffered four straight losing campaigns before leaving the league after the 1970 season. Most of their GCL losses were lopsided.

The school's enrollment dropped, and Schneider didn't record his third winning season until 1974. But he persevered, partly because it's his nature and partly because, as he says, "nobody else wanted the job."

"After one of those GCL losses I remember sitting up here in the gym and saying to myself 'I am not leaving here until I get it done,' " he said. "I just couldn't do it. Then, once we got rolling and through the '80s, I just never even thought of leaving."

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also i would never ever put Schneider and Mueller in the same category, i seriously doubt Dale Mueller's ethics are anywhere near Schneider's

I rarely post much anymore and I am not looking to rain on the Bob Schneider's love fest parade, but you have absolutely no clue who Dale Mueller is or what you are talking about. The reality of Dale Mueller's character is far great than the myth of many other coaches that get a lot of praise.

I could tell you several stories about Dale, but I will leave it at one. Last summer Dale took his entire family to South Africa to work in an Aid's Hospice with dying Aid's patients. Dale is not perfect (on or off the field) and I don't agree with everything he does on the field, but to question his character is way is waaaaaaaay off base.

part of the reason Coach Schneider had little success in the late 90's was because he kick some of his best player off the team due to bad off the field desitions. that says a lot about his morals to take those kids off the team knowing the team was going to struggle with out them.

also i would never ever put Schneider and Mueller in the same category, i seriously doubt Dale Mueller's ethics are anywhere near Schneider's

Does Coach teach English up on the hill?

This isn’t about Coach Schneider, but a general question about coaches like him who have proven to be good coaches and stay at a program for ten, twenty, forty years. Why wouldn’t they move to a college coaching position? Is it because they simply love the high school level, because they might take a pay cut as an assistant college coach, or some other reason? I would imagine that coaches like Schneider, Hilton (Bell Co), Haywood (Belfry), and Redman (Male) would be getting job offers from several colleges based off of their proven experience and ability. Just a question that I have wondered about.

That is a legitamate Question. I know why the coach this thread is about didn't move is because he LOVES working with high school kids. It certainly wouldn't be because he would take a pay CUT. Believe me, at schools like NCC there isn't much to cut from. It's dedication that keeps these coaches where they are. Pure and simple.

I rarely post much anymore and I am not looking to rain on the Bob Schneider's love fest parade, but you have absolutely no clue who Dale Mueller is or what you are talking about. The reality of Dale Mueller's character is far great than the myth of many other coaches that get a lot of praise.

I could tell you several stories about Dale, but I will leave it at one. Last summer Dale took his entire family to South Africa to work in an Aid's Hospice with dying Aid's patients. Dale is not perfect (on or off the field) and I don't agree with everything he does on the field, but to question his character is way is waaaaaaaay off base.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

That is a legitamate Question. I know why the coach this thread is about didn't move is because he LOVES working with high school kids. It certainly wouldn't be because he would take a pay CUT. Believe me, at schools like NCC there isn't much to cut from. It's dedication that keeps these coaches where they are. Pure and simple.

I'm sure coaches like Schneider and Mueller could have made much more money coaching "up the ladder" or even teaching somewhere else or in another profession. But dedication to doing something you love that makes a difference in others is hard to beat.

Just for fun here is the first 5 years coaching record:

GCL record 5-2, other games 3-0, overall 8-2

GCL record 2-5, other games 2-0, overall 4-5

GCL record 2-5, other games 2-1, overall 4-6

GCL record 2-5, other games 1-2, overall 3-7

GCL record 0-6, other games 2-2, overall 2-8

I don't believe Coach Schneider ever beat Moeller or St.X in the GCL. I believe most of the wins were against LaSalle and McNicholas. Maybe a win over Purcell or Roger Bacon. A lone 27-14 win over Elder that first year by holding Elder to a minus 8 yards rushing.

part of the reason Coach Schneider had little success in the late 90's was because he kick some of his best player off the team due to bad off the field desitions. that says a lot about his morals to take those kids off the team knowing the team was going to struggle with out them.

I wasn't making a stab I was just saying it isn't just the State Titles that make him a great coach it is the fact he is a good person like many others.