Memories of Bad Weather Games...

Yes the 2003 AA Game between Belfry vs Lloyd at Lloyd it was the night after Thanksgiving and I drove back from Knoxville that morning and rain and snowed all the way back. I was on the chain gang and it was so cold and my feet were froze. However, I did meet Watusi, Pirategirl and EKUALUM05 and we had a nice meeting in the hospitality room at half time. Afterwards I went home which was 2 blocks away and took about an hour hot shower. The sleet and snow was miserable however, we did get to see a tremendous football game and again my Congrats to Belfry and there fans. JD

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the following week Breathitt beat Russell 28-27 in OT in the state semifinals. A missed extra point was the difference. Then they won the Championship game the following week by 50 some points.

That was without a doubt the worst stretch of weather for the playoffs. The Russell/Carroll Co game has already been mentioned. Russell's field was so torn up they used Putnam Stadium to host Mason County, led by Grutza and Lofton, in the Regional final. They won 12-8. That was the week following the Bell Co/Ashland game that was mentioned earlier as well in post #19. So you can imagine the shape that the field was in then.

My mistake, yes, how could I forget the Russell/Breathitt game. That was a dandy, one of the best games I can remember.

The Belfry/Danville game if 86 didn't involve bad weather on game day.

And the other one was Belfry/Highlands in 1989. Great game, coldest I have ever been at a game.

Or during the week from what I recall. :D

Thunderfield, 2001.

Manual at Ballard.

It was a close game that was nearly called, but only delayed. Before the delay, it was a very close game, but then something amazing happened afterwards. We came out and the stands were completely empty, and rain was pouring. We heard the boom of thunder which began the chant of a line from the fallen Quinton Hammond (#4 RIP, 1997) "You can't hold me, I'm bringin' thunder!" That field was like a monsoon, and the feeling in the air was pretty incomparable (that's emotional, not literal... literally the air was wet, really, really wet).

We won 40 to 12. It was a lot of fun.

Southwestern at Pulaski in 1999. That field was pretty muddy. Actually it was really muddy considering that it hadn't rained in the area for two weeks prior to the game. :rolleyes: I think their sprinkler system was accidently left on for two days leading up to the game.:eek:

Yes, Hector the field was awful.

I can't remember what year it was but it was Male & Trinty in the state title game. Snowing like crazy, wind blowing..etc. Could hardly see the game field and I was like 4 rows up in the endzone.

From ancient Boyle folklore:

There was a string of Russell County - Boyle games from 1978, '79, '80 that were played in pretty muddy conditions.

'78 was very bad at Russell Springs and '79 was the worst in the old cow pasture that then was known as Rebel Field. The mud was literally 4 - 6 inches deep between the 40's that night.

Any other details will not be mentioned by me because then I'll have to go back into therapy all over again and I'm getting too old to do that anymore. :lol:

A little Western flavor for everyone......

1999 Mayfield vs. Trousdale Co., TN

The rain was coming in sideways during warmups and stayed that way the whole game. Inches of water covered the field. It was a blast.....even though Mayfield lost 12-7. It was the hardest game I ever played in.

Last year Whitley County visited North Laurel for the Jags' senior night in a torrential downpour. Photography was incredibly difficult, but I did end up with a photo of a pair of NL defenders tackling a WC runner, and the WC player looked almost like he was buried in a mudpit from the torso down, as though he was emerging from a swamp. Very strange-looking photo; I'll post it if I can track it down.

I remember that game. It never stopped raining. I saw the tapes and you couldn't make out anyone's numbers it was so muddy.

The worst weather I played in was a game in 1981 at Newport Catholic due to extreme cold. I have NEVER been on a game field or practice field when it was that cold. The ball felt like a brick. I scored my first varsity TD that night, we lost, but I remember not being able to feel my fingers and just hoping I could hang on to the ball. I didn't warm up for 2 days.

Last year Dayton came to Bellevue for senior night and before the game it rained and rained.. Nothing but a swamp and cold. As you can imagine not a lot of movement for either team. :bunny:

That was an instant classic. Dayton winning in OT stopping a two point conversion that would of gave Bellevue the win. What a game that was, and it was a total swamp. It was also freezing in that one too.