Memories of Bad Weather Games...

I have a couple I will share:

ca. ~ 1976: Trinity vs. BD at old Cardinal Stadium in the playoffs. Wind was blowing something feirce, 35+ mph. The wind coupled with freezing temperatures made for a very cold game. Both teams came out of the locker rooms before the start of the game and second half just in time to get their teams on the field without a penalty..... Coin toss was the biggest play in the game..... Trinity won the toss and took the wind.... I think Trinity won 7 - 0. I cant remember the exact score, just the weather. Both teams just wanted to get warm.......

1999: St. X vs. Male at Manual Stadium. This was a third round playoff game. The Tigers had beaten the Dogs 39 - 3 four weeks earlier. This rematch was played in a steady downpour of a cold November rain. I would guess that it rained 1.5 to 2.0 inches during the game. It had rained all day prior to the game as well. With the ground completly saturated, there was not much turf to be found prior to game time. Midway through the first quarter, one end zone was half covered with water. Numbers were not visable on the jerseys.... We had rain gear and a large tarp on top of us, top row of stadium, but we were completely soaked.... We had no choice, it never stopped coming down. Very similar rain in the Louisiville area today (10/23)... Tigers had a little better ball control than the dogs and managed a 19 - 10 victory. The following week was the road trip to Hoptown.... (Thats another thread in itself...) and then the 4A Championship was claimed over Bryan Station and Eric Shelton.

Those bad weather games are fun if your prepared to withstand the elements. Thank goodness they are not all like that.

Share some of your memories of "Bad Weather Games..."

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year Whitley County visited North Laurel for the Jags' senior night in a torrential downpour. Photography was incredibly difficult, but I did end up with a photo of a pair of NL defenders tackling a WC runner, and the WC player looked almost like he was buried in a mudpit from the torso down, as though he was emerging from a swamp. Very strange-looking photo; I'll post it if I can track it down.

1973 Somerset vs. Meade Co. 1st round of the State Playoffs. The game was in Brandenburg, 20 MPH wind, coming off of the Ohio River. Meade Co.'s Coaches were in shorts. Gametime temperature was in the low 20's. Coldest I have ever been . I was still in Elementary School.

Bellevue Beechwood 1999 regional final @ Bellevue. Bellevue won 17-0 in regular season. In playoffs Beechwood 35-0. Beechwood had advantage in playoff game averaging 270 on the line and Bellevue 200. Bellevue could not utilize speed and lost. Beechwood went on to win 7th titile of the 90's. Field was sloppy and everyone looked like hogs rolling around in mud.

Still cannot shake the debacle in the only "rain-soaked" field in NKY on that late October Friday back in 1975...yes, the night HHS' perfect season was shattered by Campbell County. I guess that's why their mascot represents a Middle Eastern icon...wait, that's it! They're "evil do-ers"!! Quick, someone tell George Bush so we can bomb them and stop the madness!! Oh, in the name of Steve Colbert someone do something!!!!

Corbin vs. Taylor County @ Taylor County in 2002 was ridiculous. Thankfully nobody was hurt but there is no way on Earth that game should have been played. There was literally 6 of 7 inches of pure mud for that game. By the end of the game, you couldn't tell the difference between what teams were playing.

1981 Trimble Co and Frankfort High. Trimble's field field was under water in places. No kidding, it was so bad that the official had to hold the ball after it was spotted to keep it from floating away. That was a fun game.

In 2011 it will be 30 years since that game was played and I can embellish the story by saying it was so wet that night that two players drowned in the game.

The coldest game I ever attended was the class A state Championship game around 1978 at EKU. It was Frankfort High vs. Campbellsville (I think) It was so cold that a trumpet stuck to a trumpet players mouth while he was playing the fight song. (just like the kid in a Christmas Story)