The Best Danville Football player

adsfan

Is there any argument?

Chris Jones, Class of 1978, the "Danville Bull".

If you were a running back and Barry Switzer of Oklahoma sat in your living room attempting to recruit you in the late 1970's, you were a stud puppy! I honestly feel Chris would have played in the NFL if it were for his nasty knee injury while at UK.

My high school has never had a football team but I remember CJ when he was at UK. During one game the QB muffed the lateral to him and he ran back and got it and was faced with two defenders ready to tackle him. He faked them out of their shoes and turned it into a huge gain on pure skill alone. Great player.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone is going to be limited to their lifetime and experience but here's a few I saw in Blue:

Scrapper Letcher was a great back. (Kenny Young was in the backfield with him)

Chris Jones is who my vote would go with. He was two time all-state in '76 and '77 and was Parade All-American in '77.

Jimmie Baughman. Started all 4 years for Danville ('83 to '86). Led the Ads to the AAA title as a Soph in '84.

Donnie Redd. Followed right behind Baughman and played from '86 to '89. Led the Ads in rushing for 3 straight years while Danville won 2 titles in '87 and '89. (He was in the backfield with with David "Da-Da" Walker from '87 to '89 and there was serious speed there.

Chester Ford. Never saw a D lineman at Danville dominate a line like he did from the very beginning. Led an awesome goal line stand his freshman year ('89) to stop Mayfield and led to Danville's 7-3 state title victory. Tennessee turned him into a FB and he started his last 2 years for the Vols.

Kinte Bess, Ben Kinley and Joel Gray all seemed to blurr together in that run. It was a lot like the old Oklahoma wishbone teams that blurred everyone together.

Jeremy Britt. A one year wonder at Danville but he set many state records and led the Ads to the state title game.

Now for old timers there was Sam Burke who led the Ads to their first state title ('62) and became a great player at Georgia Tech under Bobby Dodd.

Elmer Jackson from that era was also hailed as a great player.

Leonard Coulter from the early 70's was considered the greatest athlete to come out of Danville and played end I think in football. Went on to play basketball for Morehead.

This list could go on and on because there has been so much talent over the years you leave off a Roger Turner, Purnell Donehy, Mike Clevenger, Clay Clevenger, Chase Harp, Keith Morgan, David Mcafee and so many others.

Everyone is going to be limited to their lifetime and experience but here's a few I saw in Blue:

Scrapper Letcher was a great back. (Kenny Young was in the backfield with him)

Chris Jones is who my vote would go with. He was two time all-state in '76 and '77 and was Parade All-American in '77.

Jimmie Baughman. Started all 4 years for Danville ('83 to '86). Led the Ads to the AAA title as a Soph in '84.

Donnie Redd. Followed right behind Baughman and played from '86 to '89. Led the Ads in rushing for 3 straight years while Danville won 2 titles in '87 and '89. (He was in the backfield with with David "Da-Da" Walker from '87 to '89 and there was serious speed there.

Chester Ford. Never saw a D lineman at Danville dominate a line like he did from the very beginning. Led an awesome goal line stand his freshman year ('89) to stop Mayfield and led to Danville's 7-3 state title victory. Tennessee turned him into a FB and he started his last 2 years for the Vols.

Kinte Bess, Ben Kinley and Joel Gray all seemed to blurr together in that run. It was a lot like the old Oklahoma wishbone teams that blurred everyone together.

Jeremy Britt. A one year wonder at Danville but he set many state records and led the Ads to the state title game.

Now for old timers there was Sam Burke who led the Ads to their first state title ('62) and became a great player at Georgia Tech under Bobby Dodd.

Elmer Jackson from that era was also hailed as a great player.

Leonard Coulter from the early 70's was considered the greatest athlete to come out of Danville and played end I think in football. Went on to play basketball for Morehead.

This list could go on and on because there has been so much talent over the years you leave off a Roger Turner, Purnell Donehy, Mike Clevenger, Clay Clevenger, Chase Harp, Keith Morgan, David Mcafee and so many others.

Good post Hatz, I agree 100%.

I don't remember his name, but, they had a RB back in the early 90's who was a stud...Would just as soon run over you as around you and could do both..

It's hard to say which one you are referring too, because they had a stable full back in the early '90's that were like that. Im guessing you're talking about '90-'94 or so?!

That could have been Ben Kinley, Kinte Bess, Corey Harris, Joel Gray, Houston (the big fullback). The best one out of that bunch, IMO was Kinte' Bess. They all were great, but he is definately one that could have played anywhere in the country had the grades been good enough. Kinte' tragically passed away from injuries in a motorcycle crash a year and a half or so back. He was an awesome talent!!

I know this thread is supposed to be about individuals from DHS, not necissarily teams, but I've got something where both tie in....

The '97 and '98 teams at Danville had a great deal of talent on them, as well. The '97 team, if it hadn't been for a 50 yd hail mary as time ran out v.s LexCath could and should have won it all that year. The '98 team got upset by Caldwell County in the '98 AA finals. From those two years, though, seven (7) went on to play college football all of their years in college and I believe most, if not all of them were either All-Conference, All-America or both at least once, if not multiple times in their college careers.

Chase Harp (class of '98)- TE, University of Kentucky

Nathan Fuqua ('99)-DT Wofford

Marcellous Lewis ('98)-S Campbellsville Univ.

ShaDon Brown ('98)- LB WKU/Campbellsville Univ.

John Grey ('99)- LB University of Tennesse @ Martin

Josh Jaggers ('00)-OL- UK/Campbellsville Univ.

Jeremy Britt ('99)-RB- Centre College

Another to add to that list that was a great athlete, played in the secondary for Danville (Class of '98) and also at WR was Clifford Berry. He was the state track champ in the 300 M Hurdles and went onto play basketball at Berea College. Theres NO DOUBT in my mind that if Cliff could have played NCAA 1-AA at the least, if he had chose to play football in college.

I know this thread is supposed to be about individuals from DHS, not necissarily teams, but I've got something where both tie in....

The '97 and '98 teams at Danville had a great deal of talent on them, as well. The '97 team, if it hadn't been for a 50 yd hail mary as time ran out v.s LexCath could and should have won it all that year. The '98 team got upset by Caldwell County in the '98 AA finals. From those two years, though, seven (7) went on to play college football all of their years in college and I believe most, if not all of them were either All-Conference, All-America or both at least once, if not multiple times in their college careers.

Chase Harp (class of '98)- TE, University of Kentucky

Nathan Fuqua ('99)-DT Wofford

Marcellous Lewis ('98)-S Campbellsville Univ.

ShaDon Brown ('98)- LB WKU/Campbellsville Univ.

John Grey ('99)- LB University of Tennesse @ Martin

Josh Jaggers ('00)-OL- UK/Campbellsville Univ.

Jeremy Britt ('99)-RB- Centre College

Another to add to that list that was a great athlete, played in the secondary for Danville (Class of '98) and also at WR was Clifford Berry. He was the state track champ in the 300 M Hurdles and went onto play basketball at Berea College. Theres NO DOUBT in my mind that if Cliff could have played NCAA 1-AA at the least, if he had chose to play football in college.

Good post and you are right about those teams Buffalo Gap.

However we at Boyle think that the Rebels should have won it all in '97 since we were unbeaten (win over Danville) until the mud bowl vs. Bourbon. :thumb:

Good post and you are right about those teams Buffalo Gap.

However we at Boyle think that the Rebels should have won it all in '97 since we were unbeaten (win over Danville) until the mud bowl vs. Bourbon. :thumb:

I can understand you being a little biased, but one thing you have to remember about teams that play one another twice in the same year and a close 1st game...that team that loses usually has that psychological edge in the 2nd game, so-to-speak. Then again, you take away Maurice Walker and Timmy Bess' immaculate reception down Danville's sideline in the 3rd quarter and it's a different ballgame. You remember the one, Timmy goes up to get it, tips it and Maurice comes underneath it and picks off the tip in dead stride. WOW!:mad: :creepy: It was a great play.

I'm thinking that we would have prevailed had we met up. Of course, I'm being a little biased, too.:thumb:

From 84 till now the best I have seen. Back Donnie Redd, Lineman Chester Ford, Athlete Kinte Bess. I think Kinte may have been the pound for pound hardest hitter I have seen. 2 Kinte moments. He called a touchdown for the news camera against Boyle County in the regional final before the play. In 94 state championship layed out an All-State bullet East WR and set the tone for the game.

From 84 till now the best I have seen. Back Donnie Redd, Lineman Chester Ford, Athlete Kinte Bess. I think Kinte may have been the pound for pound hardest hitter I have seen. 2 Kinte moments. He called a touchdown for the news camera against Boyle County in the regional final before the play. In 94 state championship layed out an All-State bullet East WR and set the tone for the game.

You're right, he might be the best ever to wear a Danville jersey. Despite what others have or didnt do past HS, he might be the best.

Not only did he call a TD in that Boyle County game, but he lined up at QB, kept it and scored, then strutted across the back of the endzone. He was a BAD MAN!!! He also almost took back the opening kick-off in the '94 finals v.s Bullitt East.:thumb: