The Best Danville Football player

adsfan

I am goin with the 91, 92, 93, 94 era with Kinte Bess and Ben Kinley. Danvilles best years I say

Bess the best I've seen, and I've seen a lot of them. Too bad Rockcastle County had to play Danville in all 4 of those years, in the playoffs in the region championship. 1991 still haunts me as Rock had them beat until a 75 yard fumble return for a touchdown by Bess prevailed the Ads 18-13 in the final minute.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, that's Kelvin Turner from Danville. There were a few former Central Ky high school stars playing on tv Sat. Brandon Smith played a couple of series against Florida and Darius Baughman got tv time as well.

Don't forget about Andrew McCloud who had 5 carries against Florida.

The Thread about Mr. Football made me realize that of all the great, deserving football players at Danville, none have been Mr. Football. Stangely, three have come from Danville's little sisters (historically, speaking):

1986 Frank Jacobs Newport Central Catholic Notre Dame

1987 Kurt Barber Paducah Tilghman Southern California New York Jets (NFL)

Denver Broncos (NFL) Chicago Bears (NFL)

1988 Jeff Brohm Trinity (Louisville) Louisville San Francisco 49ers (NFL) – 1996-97

1989 Pookie Jones Calloway County Kentucky British Columbia Lions (CFL) – 1997-? Louisville Fire (af2) – 2003-?

1990 Damon Hood Warren Central Kentucky

1991 Scott Russell Evarts Lees-McRae/Union

1992 Billy Jack Haskins Paducah Tilghman Kentucky/Rhode Island

1993 Jeremy Simpson Lincoln County Cumberland (KY)

1994 Shaun Alexander Boone County Alabama Seattle Seahawks (NFL) – 2000-

1995 Tim Couch Leslie County Kentucky Cleveland Browns (NFL) – 1999-2003

1996 Derek Homer Fort Knox Kentucky Baltimore Ravens (NFL) – 2001

Barcelona Dragons (NFL Europe) 2001-2002Lexington Horsemen (UIF) – 2003-

1997 Dennis Johnson Harrodsburg Kentucky Arizona Cardinals (NFL) – 2003-04San Francisco 49ers (NFL) – 2004 Lexington Horsemen (UIF) – 2005-

1998 Jared Lorenzen Ft. Thomas Highlands Kentucky New York Giants (NFL) – 2004-

1999 Travis Atwell Hancock County Toledo/Kentucky

2000 Montrell Jones Male Tennessee/Louisville

2001 Jeff Duggins Boyle County Alfred State

2002 Michael Bush Male Louisville Oakland Raiders (NFL) – 2007-

2003 Brian Brohm Trinity (Louisville) Louisville

2004 Curtis Pulley Hopkinsville Kentucky

2005 Micah Johnson Fort Campbell Kentucky

2006 Douglas Beaumont Male Louisville

Don't forget about Andrew McCloud who had 5 carries against Florida.

My bad I forgot about him and I shouldn't have because he gets more pt than Brandon or Darius. My fault.

Despite the loss I am sure it was great experience for them and all the other KY boys at WKU who played at the Swamp.

The Danville folks at work said Jimmie Baughman was the best because he was a 1 man team when he played. They said he had less to work with than any of the other guys. They also mentioned David Walker. One of the guys who I asked was related to Kinte Bess and I'll see him tonight so I'll ask him where he thinks Kinte fits in. He never mentioned him.

The Danville folks at work said Jimmie Baughman was the best because he was a 1 man team when he played. They said he had less to work with than any of the other guys. They also mentioned David Walker. One of the guys who I asked was related to Kinte Bess and I'll see him tonight so I'll ask him where he thinks Kinte fits in. He never mentioned him.

Baughman was a one man show his Junior and Senior years but his Sophomore year the Ads had a very good and talented backfield.

Jeff Lancaster as a perfect FB for the wishbone getting tough yards, blocking well and faking the "rub off" extremely well.

Eric Alcorn was a fast HB who showed his speed on the lateral screen that went 87 yards for a TD in early part of the state title game.

Keith Morgan was a very good passer and reader of the option. He had some good targets in '84 with Ronnie Chenault and VC Alcorn.

Baughman to me was every bit as good as Redd and probably stronger. It's a shame post High School didn't work out.

Everyone is going to be limited to their lifetime and experience but here's a few I saw in Blue:

Scrapper Letcher was a great back. (Kenny Young was in the backfield with him)

Chris Jones is who my vote would go with. He was two time all-state in '76 and '77 and was Parade All-American in '77.

Jimmie Baughman. Started all 4 years for Danville ('83 to '86). Led the Ads to the AAA title as a Soph in '84.

Donnie Redd. Followed right behind Baughman and played from '86 to '89. Led the Ads in rushing for 3 straight years while Danville won 2 titles in '87 and '89. (He was in the backfield with with David "Da-Da" Walker from '87 to '89 and there was serious speed there.

Chester Ford. Never saw a D lineman at Danville dominate a line like he did from the very beginning. Led an awesome goal line stand his freshman year ('89) to stop Mayfield and led to Danville's 7-3 state title victory. Tennessee turned him into a FB and he started his last 2 years for the Vols.

Kinte Bess, Ben Kinley and Joel Gray all seemed to blurr together in that run. It was a lot like the old Oklahoma wishbone teams that blurred everyone together.

Jeremy Britt. A one year wonder at Danville but he set many state records and led the Ads to the state title game.

Now for old timers there was Sam Burke who led the Ads to their first state title ('62) and became a great player at Georgia Tech under Bobby Dodd.

Elmer Jackson from that era was also hailed as a great player.

Leonard Coulter from the early 70's was considered the greatest athlete to come out of Danville and played end I think in football. Went on to play basketball for Morehead.

This list could go on and on because there has been so much talent over the years you leave off a Roger Turner, Purnell Donehy, Mike Clevenger, Clay Clevenger, Chase Harp, Keith Morgan, David Mcafee and so many others.

WOW!:D

Baughman was a one man show his Junior and Senior years but his Sophomore year the Ads had a very good and talented backfield.

Jeff Lancaster as a perfect FB for the wishbone getting tough yards, blocking well and faking the "rub off" extremely well.

Eric Alcorn was a fast HB who showed his speed on the lateral screen that went 87 yards for a TD in early part of the state title game.

Keith Morgan was a very good passer and reader of the option. He had some good targets in '84 with Ronnie Chenault and VC Alcorn.

Baughman to me was every bit as good as Redd and probably stronger. It's a shame post High School didn't work out.

Lancaster was tough!

The 87 backfield with TimMcDaniel at fullback, Donnie Redd, DA DA Walker and Mike Clevenger at quarterback. I think all 3 backs rushed for 1,000yards....not to mention winning last 13 in a row for the Championship!

That 87 team is being honored in Danville on Friday night as well!!!!!:thumb:

Lancaster was tough!

The 87 backfield with TimMcDaniel at fullback, Donnie Redd, DA DA Walker and Mike Clevenger at quarterback. I think all 3 backs rushed for 1,000yards....not to mention winning last 13 in a row for the Championship!

That 87 team is being honored in Danville on Friday night as well!!!!!:thumb:

Actually if memory serves Redd and McDaniel had 1,000 yards but not Walker. David came into his own about the middle of the season and won the job outright by the end of that year. Mike was a great athlete playing Wishbone QB. He had always been a HB until that year but he did a good job with some key throws and good reads on the option. The line from that '87 team was very good and very big for it's day.

Jeff Lancaster had one of the best runs of the '84 state title game when he scored. I think he shed 7 would be tacklers and wouldn't be denied.

Chris Jones did not play for Coach Sam Harp.

I did not see Jimmie Baughman play. I did see Chris Jones play and I can't imagine any one better.

How many Parade All-Americas has Danville High School produced?

That's why I put him as #1. As great as those backs in Duffy and Harp's wishbone have been, Jones was a mixture of speed and power. He was also a great athlete and a pretty good basketball player if memory serves.

I was wondering for any old school admiral fans. One name I have heard in the past about being tough is Mike Cowherd. I think he played in the late 60's. Supposedly he was one heck of a back. I have heard he made it to the final cut with the Dallas Cowboys even though he never played a down of college football.

I can understand you being a little biased, but one thing you have to remember about teams that play one another twice in the same year and a close 1st game...that team that loses usually has that psychological edge in the 2nd game, so-to-speak. Then again, you take away Maurice Walker and Timmy Bess' immaculate reception down Danville's sideline in the 3rd quarter and it's a different ballgame. You remember the one, Timmy goes up to get it, tips it and Maurice comes underneath it and picks off the tip in dead stride. WOW!:mad: :creepy: It was a great play.

I'm thinking that we would have prevailed had we met up. Of course, I'm being a little biased, too.:thumb:

Don't forget the fumble that Shadon Brown had, 2 yards deep in the endzone, after slamming the ball down over the goaline, that Neal Brown recovered. For sure a touchdown.

I was wondering for any old school admiral fans. One name I have heard in the past about being tough is Mike Cowherd. I think he played in the late 60's. Supposedly he was one heck of a back. I have heard he made it to the final cut with the Dallas Cowboys even though he never played a down of college football.

I have always heard the legend of Mike Cowherd but never got to see him play. Everything I heard was great. Don't know about the Cowboys thing.

Don't forget the fumble that Shadon Brown had, 2 yards deep in the endzone, after slamming the ball down over the goaline, that Neal Brown recovered. For sure a touchdown.

Yeah...I try to forget that call.:madman: That was about the worst that Ive ever seen.