Belfry 21 Corbin 0

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cashen was MVP for Corbin... he is a good ball player.... Props to my Pirates on winning this one for Mr. Phillips.... It was great to play a team that we don't normally play... especially one like Corbin..... Great game for us anyways.... Good Luck to Corbin on the rest of the season.... GO PIRATES!!!!! WE WILL MISS YOU GREATLY MR. PHILLIPS.... IT IS NOT THE SAME WITHOUT YA.... GOD BLESS BRENDA AND FAMILY..... I THINK I SPEAK FOR ALL US PIRATES WHEN I SAY WE LOVE YOU !!!!!!!

I was very surprised by this one, Belfry played a decent game, and their backs are going to be very hard to handle. I think after this team gels together they have a very bright future ahead of them this season. There were plenty of mistakes tonight but overall I thought the Pirates made a statement with this game. Go Bucs!

Very late right now,, will post my analysis tomorrow. Just some quick hitters:

1. When the lights went out it made me think that maybe it was Mr. Phillip's letting us know he was taking in one more Pirate game.. glad the Bucs could get the job done on such an emotional night.

2. Corbin is the epitomy of a class program. Their offense is alot better than the score makes it appear, remember this Belfry defense was pretty outstanding last year and return nearly everyone off that unit.

3. Belfry's run defense was impeccable. This group ahs the potential to be dominating with their quickness and gang tackling. It surprised me Corbin continued to try to run the ball against the Pirates.. I understand balance but when your longest run comes because a fumble goes three yards down the field, maybe you should stick with the pass.

4. Elkins played a smooth game on both sides of the ball, he ahd 3 incomplete passes, but in all honesty all three of thsoe should have been caught, two of which for TD's.

5. Dustin May was a mule on both sides of the ball... 125+ rushing, anoither 40 or so receiving, and one heckuva defensive performance.

6. Ivan Lee... coming out party.

7. Don't get me wrong, Cashen was solid and a great player...but IMO #18 Sanders was the MVP of Corbin.

8. Belfry's secondary is miles ahead of where I figured they would be... in fact the majority of Corbin's passing yards came as a result of Cashen having all day to make a play... with that much time eventually a receiver will get open.

The big play bug bit us again. Take the 2 big plays (not being honest on the belly action give or belly) it is 7-0. Our line got out played belfrys line was more physical/quick.... period. Not making excuses Belfry is a good football team, we just made them look better. Good luck Belfry on the rest of your season.

Belfry controled the LOS...that is why they won.

Corbin is too soft right now. Belfry showed us that we are not state champion material at this time. We also looked very unorganized tonight as a team. Now that we've been shown what a football team looks like, I hope we take it as a lesson learned.

Belfry has a good thing going on right now. Super stadium and an outpouring of fan support. Pretty good football team too.

Two years straight Corbin posts a goose egg in the opener.

Offense sells tickets, defense wins championships.;)

Small and short recap for me, and I'll call it a night.

1st play - Everyone in the house (crowd size unknown to me) expects FB and workhorse Dustin May to get the ball. Senior HB Phillip Hickman takes the handoff and goes for what should have been a TD, had not been for a Corbin safety.

2nd play - Belly to the opposite side, even the Belfry faithful anticipated the FB Dive or whatever play puts the ball in May's hands, yet unsuspecting HB Ivan Lee gets the handoff and rushes for the Pirates 1st score of the night.

Momentum is on the Pirates side, and the rest is in the books. The first drive set the tone for the game, inspired 4 quarters of hard-nosed football, brought a Pike County Bowl crowd to its feet; and for the first time in a somber day brought a smile to the faces of life-long Pirate fans.