How Much is Dunn Worth?

stark

The Angels had preliminary discussions with Cincinnati about acquiring Dunn, according to a baseball source, but those talks quickly ended when the Reds requested a proven major league starting pitcher, a major league infielder — preferably a second baseman — and a top prospect.

Those demands were considered too hefty for a player whose $13-million option for 2008 would be voided if he's traded, meaning he could become a free agent after this season. The Angels probably wouldn't even trade second baseman Howie Kendrick for Dunn straight up, according to the source.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/angels/la-sp-angrep15jun15,1,5018978.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-angels&ctrack=1&cset=true

I know that gaining $13 million in salary by getting rid of Dunn is worth more than any player the Reds could receive for him - however, those who think the Reds shouldn't trade Dunn should consider his trade value in light of this. I'm sure the Angels have the money to resign Dunn and would probably negotiate some kind of deal to extend his contract if they traded for him.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the Reds PREFER a 2nd baseman, just odd. Maybe get a 1st basemen after this year. I would think Phillips, Gonzo and E-5 would be set in the rest of the infield for now.

Good question.

I just find it funny that teams who have the dough to sign Dunn to a deal don’t even want to deal for him while Reds fans are crying "don't trade Dunn he's so valuable."

As I stated in another thread, I believe many will be disappointed at what the Reds receive in return SHOULD they trade Dunn.

Again, the best thing the Reds receive in a deal would be getting the chance to free-up salary for better players in the offseason.

Krivsky should shoot a little lower at the bargaining table in terms of player(s) in return for Dunn via a trade to see the bigger picture. Other GM's aren't crazy, they know the Reds need to dump his salary more than they need Dunn's services and the Reds are just wanting something to lessen the blow to fans when Dunn walks away for more money somewhere else and the Reds have nothing.

Again, the best thing the Reds receive in a deal would be getting the chance to free-up salary for better players in the offseason.

Krivsky should shoot a little lower at the bargaining table in terms of player(s) in return for Dunn via a trade to see the bigger picture. Other GM's aren't crazy, they know the Reds need to dump his salary more than they need Dunn's services and the Reds are just wanting something to lessen the blow to fans when Dunn walks away for more money somewhere else and the Reds have nothing.

He's not impressed me at all, with his previous acquisitions.

The $13 million is a club option they don't have to pick that up after this year, they can pay a $500,000 buyout and say good-bye. If they trade him the team he is traded to has to pick up the option or re-negotiate

If he is traded the option is voided...

I'd agree more if you were talking about a 37 year old outfielder at the end of his career. 27 makes me a bit more cautious.

Ervin Santana is a fly-ball pitcher. I'd pass.

Worth a read:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/06/15/bp.js/index.html

I think the Reds are in a bad spot with Dunn. Because of a trade voiding his option year it severely reduces his trade value. However keeping him at his current salary doesn't really help the Reds that much either. He's making franchise player type money (for the Reds anyway) but his shortcomings prevent him from really being a franchise type player. I'm really torn on this but with the Reds being in such a weak division where a hot month or so can put a team in the thick of the race I really think they'd be better off hanging on to him, exercising his option for next year and seeing what happens. If they can't get an extension worked out then trade him. He's kind of a one trick pony but he does that one trick to well to give him away for 25 cents on the dollar unless you have to.