How Much is Dunn Worth?

stark

I think the Reds are in a bad spot with Dunn. Because of a trade voiding his option year it severely reduces his trade value. However keeping him at his current salary doesn't really help the Reds that much either. He's making franchise player type money (for the Reds anyway) but his shortcomings prevent him from really being a franchise type player. I'm really torn on this but with the Reds being in such a weak division where a hot month or so can put a team in the thick of the race I really think they'd be better off hanging on to him, exercising his option for next year and seeing what happens. If they can't get an extension worked out then trade him. He's kind of a one trick pony but he does that one trick to well to give him away for 25 cents on the dollar unless you have to.

AJG, fair post, and I'd agree with nearly all of it.

As I said about a month ago, I still think the best chance for him to get dealt is to the Bronx. Where, by the way, I think he'd struggle with the intensity of the media and the huge-dom of the situation. He'd like that short porch in RF, but I'm thinking the aw-shucks laid-back approach he takes would go over up there even worse than here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AJG, fair post, and I'd agree with nearly all of it.

As I said about a month ago, I still think the best chance for him to get dealt is to the Bronx. Where, by the way, I think he'd struggle with the intensity of the media and the huge-dom of the situation. He'd like that short porch in RF, but I'm thinking the aw-shucks laid-back approach he takes would go over up there even worse than here.

I've been kind of tough on him but I have a feeling he's worth quite a bit more than what the Reds can get for him. Even though this year might be shot unless someone else in the division makes some serious moves in the offseason they've still got a chance to contend next season and to me that would be better than just giving him away. If they don't contend next season they can always make that trade then.

I think the Reds are in a bad spot with Dunn. Because of a trade voiding his option year it severely reduces his trade value. However keeping him at his current salary doesn't really help the Reds that much either. He's making franchise player type money (for the Reds anyway) but his shortcomings prevent him from really being a franchise type player. I'm really torn on this but with the Reds being in such a weak division where a hot month or so can put a team in the thick of the race I really think they'd be better off hanging on to him, exercising his option for next year and seeing what happens. If they can't get an extension worked out then trade him. He's kind of a one trick pony but he does that one trick to well to give him away for 25 cents on the dollar unless you have to.

I agree with you as well for the most part. Honestly, I don't see the Reds committing $13 million to him because then they are handcuffed with a guy as you said, "making franchise player money while not being a franchise player" with no money leftover to address issues with the bullpen/pitching in general.

The Reds need to clear that money - I think that's their whole intention with a possible Dunn move because they are not going to exercise his option. I think Krivsky is asking for too much in return from Dunn and other clubs see that the Reds just want something in return for him because they have no plans to keep him.

It's gonna take a desperate, starved for offense team to take him in the short-run.

Stark where we disagree is here: I think there is ZERO chance that the Reds let Dunn walk at the end of the year if they don't trade him.

So take his option and sign more re-treads like Weathers/Stanton to address the bullpen in the offseason?

The best way to acquire bullpen help/pitching help is to grow it in your own system, but with the NL Central being as weak as it is and seeing how many games the Reds have given up late, I'd take some young bullpen help for Dunn via trade or signing.

Good read. I agree with most of it except the author seems to not place high value on middle relievers and closers. Everyone wants em, just ask Houston about inquiries over Lidge. Closers/middle setup guys are worth more now in the game than ever due to starters not going as long as they did 15 years ago.

Good read. I agree with most of it except the author seems to not place high value on middle relievers and closers. Everyone wants em, just ask Houston about inquiries over Lidge. Closers/middle setup guys are worth more now in the game than ever due to starters not going as long as they did 15 years ago.

Given that and the option void with a trade, Dunn is not going to bring a proven set-up man or closer in any deal IMO...

Given that and the option void with a trade, Dunn is not going to bring a proven set-up man or closer in any deal IMO...

I think I stated that Krivsky was asking for too much for Dunn because of that factor earlier - thus the title of the thread, "What's is Dunn Worth?"

Is it worth taking Dunn's option or using that money to sign middle relief/setup/closer in the offseason?

Closers

Mariano Rivera (38)

Jason Isringhausen (35) - $8MM club option for '08

Bob Wickman (39)

Francisco Cordero (33)

Armando Benitez (35)

Eric Gagne (32)

Todd Jones (40)

Jorge Julio (29)

Middle relievers

Scott Linebrink (31)

Kerry Wood (31)

Who???

Closers

Mariano Rivera (38)

Jason Isringhausen (35) - $8MM club option for '08

Bob Wickman (39)

Francisco Cordero (33)

Armando Benitez (35)

Eric Gagne (32)

Todd Jones (40)

Jorge Julio (29)

Middle relievers

Scott Linebrink (31)

Kerry Wood (31)

Who???

The only closer I like is Cordero. Again, the best way to build a bullpen is from within, yet with the way the division is, why not take a chance to plug the hole sooner than later?

For discount money, I'd take a stab at Wood.

Answer my question: Is it worth taking Dunn's option or using that money to sign middle relief/setup/closer in the offseason? Heck, what about a better position player to be signed in the offseason?

You simply do not buy out of the option and get nothing for him. No way. No how.

I don't mind him being traded and using the cash wisely to fill other holes. Not sure it's a wise move, but I can see it working out next season depending on what you get in the OPEN market. Considering how many teams with deeper pockets also have the same needs, you are going to have to considerably over pay for any proven help in the pen...

Considering how many teams with deeper pockets also have the same needs, you are going to have to considerably over pay for any proven help in the pen...

I'd say other teams don't have an Adam Dunn to offer either. Dunn is notably the biggest name being shopped right now.