Hank Aaron won't celebrate

From an interview I heard him give, it seemed to me that he dosen't feel the record is that big a deal anymore. Not that what he did and the situation that he did it in wasn't a big deal, but that he feels all of the attention and celebrating are making the record bigger than the game itself, which he doesn't agree with doing.

From the interview, IMO, it wouldn't matter if it were A-Rod, Griffey, or anyone else, Hank Aaron would feel and act the same.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would bet that if the record was approached without the cloud of steroids looming over it, the Hammer would have a different stance. I recall when asked about Pete and his possible entrance into the hall by the "good ole boys", he flatly said he would never vote for him. IMO, he and his peers played the game the right way and when that line is crossed, I believe that his generation wants nothing to do with cheating in any shape or form, especially when it is arguably the most coveted record in sports.

Unless he is physically incapable or has prior committments I think he should be there out of respect to the game... then again, when I accomplish what Hank Aaron has in his life than maybe I can call the shots I guess...

Maybe he doesn't respect the path that Bonds has taken in his achievement.

I would bet that if the record was approached without the cloud of steroids looming over it, the Hammer would have a different stance. I recall when asked about Pete and his possible entrance into the hall by the "good ole boys", he flatly said he would never vote for him. IMO, he and his peers played the game the right way and when that line is crossed, I believe that his generation wants nothing to do with cheating in any shape or form, especially when it is arguably the most coveted record in sports.

See post #31. I think Covercorner has said it better than anyone.

See post #31. I think Covercorner has said it better than anyone.

I tend to differ, my guess is that if A-Rod, whose not a steroid abuser, were to approach the #, he'd take a different stance. If Jr. had approached it, I'd guess he'd also take a different stance. JMO!

I tend to differ, my guess is that if A-Rod, whose not a steroid abuser, were to approach the #, he'd take a different stance. If Jr. had approached it, I'd guess he'd also take a different stance. JMO!

I agree. Hank Aaron would be at a celebration if someone else would be approaching the record. Bonds has a lot of questions around him and Hank doesn't want to celebrate a questionable mile stone. In an ESPN interview they asked Aaron if Bonds were to break the record and it was later found out that he took steroids what would he say. He wouldn't comment and said that the situation would have to happen before he'd speak, IMO that says it all!

I think Aaron fully understands what the record means. He also understands the cloud that is over the (extremely large) head of BB.

I agree with Doc, if the record were to be broken by someone with more character than Bonds, "Hammerin Hank" would be more cordial.

Unless he is physically incapable or has prior committments I think he should be there out of respect to the game... then again, when I accomplish what Hank Aaron has in his life than maybe I can call the shots I guess...

If someone was about to break your record would you want to watch them do it. I wouldn't.

because in my mind it is almost like bringing himself down to Bonds level. Being there to respect the game doesn't mean being there to respect Bonds.

to me, it is almost like he would be saying, "well if Barry isn't going to respect the game than I don't have to either" which isn't right at all. Sometimes you just accept it, and not necessarily like it.

Hank Aaron did more for the game of baseball than Bonds could do in three lifetimes. The amount of scrutiny he was under breaking the Babe's record would have made Bonds jump off of a building or punch a reporter. Aaron hasn't said one thing about disrespecting the game or Bonds. He just doesn't want to be there, and if that's a silent protest, he's earned the right.

And I respect your opinion. :thumb: Guess we'll never know though until A-Rod or someone else gets closer to that milestone.