Hank Aaron won't celebrate

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10119461

Aaron: 'I'm not going to be around' when Bonds approaches mark

ATLANTA -- Hank Aaron doesn't plan to be at the ballpark if and when Barry Bonds breaks his home run record.

"Uh-uh. No, no. I'm not going to be around," Aaron was quoted as saying in Tuesday's editions of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I'm 72 years old, and I'm not hopping on a plane and flying all the way to San Francisco for anybody."

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless he is physically incapable or has prior committments I think he should be there out of respect to the game... then again, when I accomplish what Hank Aaron has in his life than maybe I can call the shots I guess...

Why should he when Bonds shows so little respect for it?

I respect his decision. Bonds has contributed to the black eye that baseball wears currently and I think Hank Aaron is doing the right thing by not being there. If he shows up and acknowledges Bonds when he passes him then he is almost saying that it is ok that Bonds has cheated to break the record.

Why should he when Bonds shows so little respect for it?

because in my mind it is almost like bringing himself down to Bonds level. Being there to respect the game doesn't mean being there to respect Bonds.

to me, it is almost like he would be saying, "well if Barry isn't going to respect the game than I don't have to either" which isn't right at all. Sometimes you just accept it, and not necessarily like it.

because in my mind it is almost like bringing himself down to Bonds level. Being there to respect the game doesn't mean being there to respect Bonds.

to me, it is almost like he would be saying, "well if Barry isn't going to respect the game than I don't have to either" which isn't right at all. Sometimes you just accept it, and not necessarily like it.

He can show plenty of respect for the game when he shows up for HOF ceremonies, World Series and All-Star Games and the like. Hank Aaron knows that if he had Bonds' advantages, he would've hit 820+.

Let's look at it another way:

When Bonds' record is broken, do you seriously see him showing up for the ceremonious events???? Nah, me neither.

He can show plenty of respect for the game when he shows up for HOF ceremonies, World Series and All-Star Games and the like. Hank Aaron knows that if he had Bonds' advantages, he would've hit 820+.

Let's look at it another way:

When Bonds' record is broken, do you seriously see him showing up for the ceremonious events???? Nah, me neither.

I don't know how Bonds will act once his career ends...

I said it isn't any of my business, but I think that out of respect for the game and the record he should be there. I don't even think he has to clap. But be in the stadium. If he decides to not show up I think he has done an injustice to baseball also.. JMHO..

I don't see this being that big of a deal. Hank Aaron is old. I don't blame the guy. Plus you never know when Bonds is actually going to break it so it would be pointless for Aaron to keep attending game after game.

I do think Aaron should acknowledge Bonds when it happens though, like ESPNGuy said, out of respect for the game.

Hammerin' Hank got death threats and hate mail out the wazoo when he was approaching Ruth's record. It was a complete circus. In interviews later, he claimed the experience aged him dramatically. He's smart enought to know he'll have to appear in front of cameras and answer asterisk questions, etc., and he just doesn't want to do it. He's 72, he's the home run king, and he wants to be left alone. I don't think he owes it to anybody, and I think his silence means just that, he doesn't want the hassle.