Hank Aaron won't celebrate

Hammerin' Hank got death threats and hate mail out the wazoo when he was approaching Ruth's record. It was a complete circus. In interviews later, he claimed the experience aged him dramatically. He's smart enought to know he'll have to appear in front of cameras and answer asterisk questions, etc., and he just doesn't want to do it. He's 72, he's the home run king, and he wants to be left alone. I don't think he owes it to anybody, and I think his silence means just that, he doesn't want the hassle.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. He went through a lot when he was closing in on the record.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly, when you are arrogant like Bonds is, I don't blame Aaron for not going.:ylsuper:

I understand where you're coming from but if you look at the greatest homerun hitters of all time they were all arrogant. All have that swagger which is what made them great players. Ruth had the same exact arrogance.

Hammerin' Hank got death threats and hate mail out the wazoo when he was approaching Ruth's record. It was a complete circus. In interviews later, he claimed the experience aged him dramatically. He's smart enought to know he'll have to appear in front of cameras and answer asterisk questions, etc., and he just doesn't want to do it. He's 72, he's the home run king, and he wants to be left alone. I don't think he owes it to anybody, and I think his silence means just that, he doesn't want the hassle.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

He's kind of in a no win situation here. If he doesn't go he's going to be portrayed as bitter by the media, if he does go it will be as though he is ignoring Bonds transgressions. If he doesn't want to go I don't think he should be looked on badly. If he's there he'll be peppered with questions about whether he thinks Bonds accomplishment is tainted, how is he supposed to answer that. If he tells the truth again he'll be portrayed as bitter and if he bites his tounge, well I can't speak for him but I'd bet he'd have a hard time looking at himself in the mirror if he didn't say exactly what he thought. Besides, The Babe didn't show up for him when he broke the record.......:jump: :banana: :p

I don't blame Hank Aaron one bit. I remember seeing this interview a few days ago and I believe he said something about him and his wife possibly travelling some where.

So he knows the exact date or series this will happen? I don't think so, he just doesn't support Bonds' attempt at the all time record, the most sacred of all baseball stats.

So he knows the exact date or series this will happen? I don't think so, he just doesn't support Bonds' attempt at the all time record, the most sacred of all baseball stats.

Hank Aaron knows of all the troubles he had to go through when attempting to break the record, so maybe he wants Bonds to feel the same way??