Hank Aaron won't celebrate

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10119461

Aaron: 'I'm not going to be around' when Bonds approaches mark

ATLANTA -- Hank Aaron doesn't plan to be at the ballpark if and when Barry Bonds breaks his home run record.

"Uh-uh. No, no. I'm not going to be around," Aaron was quoted as saying in Tuesday's editions of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

"I'm 72 years old, and I'm not hopping on a plane and flying all the way to San Francisco for anybody."

Good for Hammerin' Hank :thumb: :thumb: , imo the all time home run king even if and when Balco Barry passes his number.

I tend to differ, my guess is that if A-Rod, whose not a steroid abuser, were to approach the #, he'd take a different stance. If Jr. had approached it, I'd guess he'd also take a different stance. JMO!

I 100% agree with this statement. Aaron is all class and Bonds is all..............well, I will stop right there :D .

Unless he is physically incapable or has prior committments I think he should be there out of respect to the game... then again, when I accomplish what Hank Aaron has in his life than maybe I can call the shots I guess...

Respect for the game? Hilarious

Unless he is physically incapable or has prior committments I think he should be there out of respect to the game... then again, when I accomplish what Hank Aaron has in his life than maybe I can call the shots I guess...

I agree with The Meast, that is hillarious that you think it would be respectful for Hank to be there. If anything I think it shows more respect and makes a point that many people are NOT wanting to see Bonds break the record, because of obvious reasons, steriods, ring a bell? I hope Hank is not in attendence when Bonds breaks the record.

Aaron has never been a great ambassador for the game. If he fails to attend the next time he will be in the limelight will be his funeral.

This statement angers the heck out of me. If Hank Aaron hasn't been an ambassador for what's right about the game of baseball, then I don't know who is. I suppose Gwynn and Ripken were not ambassadors with their quiet performance and leadership, either.

This statement angers the heck out of me. If Hank Aaron hasn't been an ambassador for what's right about the game of baseball, then I don't know who is. I suppose Gwynn and Ripken were not ambassadors with their quiet performance and leadership, either.

I'm going to side with the original poster on this when it comes to being an ambassador. IMO Hank is like one of those old crotchety men who says "back in my day...." He comes across as one who doesn't like the game today. That's his right but if I'm the commish , he's not an individual that MLB is going to roll out to represent the game today. Yes, he was a true gentleman and suffered through more than we will ever know. However, he just doesn't have the personality to be an ambassador today. That's not true of Gwynn and Cal.

I'm going to side with the original poster on this when it comes to being an ambassador. IMO Hank is like one of those old crotchety men who says "back in my day...." He comes across as one who doesn't like the game today. That's his right but if I'm the commish , he's not an individual that MLB is going to roll out to represent the game today. Yes, he was a true gentleman and suffered through more than we will ever know. However, he just doesn't have the personality to be an ambassador today. That's not true of Gwynn and Cal.

When it comes to the game of baseball, I'll take "back in my day" every day and twice on Sunday.

Who is today's ambassador then? Jeter? A-Rod? Big Papi? What do any of those guys do that Aaron didn't do when he was playing?

For that matter, what stars of yesteryear from Aaron's era or even later still publicly support MLB and waive the flag for it? Willie Mays doesn't do any more than Aaron does. Frank Robinson does, but Brooks Robinson doesn't. Joe Morgan. I dunno, but the man is in his 70's, he was active for years. I think we need to cut him some slack.

When it comes to the game of baseball, I'll take "back in my day" every day and twice on Sunday.

Who is today's ambassador then? Jeter? A-Rod? Big Papi? What do any of those guys do that Aaron didn't do when he was playing?

For that matter, what stars of yesteryear from Aaron's era or even later still publicly support MLB and waive the flag for it? Willie Mays doesn't do any more than Aaron does. Frank Robinson does, but Brooks Robinson doesn't. Joe Morgan. I dunno, but the man is in his 70's, he was active for years. I think we need to cut him some slack.

He's been ornery since he left baseball. He's never had a personality that MLB could use to promote the game. Sure, show his highlights all you want but don't put a mic in his face.