U of L Athletics takes over pep band

RockPride

This is terrible and awful and I hate it... but I'm far from surprised. The athletic department at Louisville doesn't really have to care about the students because the students don't really care themselves. The only thing more difficult at Freedom Hall than trying to find the student section is trying to find Derek Character.

But this is too much, I know people that were in pep bands all across the country... they work hard. This isn't just some cheap entertainment for basketball fans, it's also a way for the music students at a university to get noticed in a way that isn't possible in other venues (you don't see the rich alumni shelling out thousands for season passes to the university orchestra, right?). The athletic department is way out of line here.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that this sounds really bad right now, but if I were in the pep band (and I am not and never was) I would not make any grand statements just yet. Wait and see how it shakes out.

I am not saying that you should not be upset, you should be. I am not saying that this will be a better thing for the students, it might not be, but from my experience at U of L I doubt that this has as much to do with the Students as it does with a power struggle of the staff and between the intrinsically different missions of the Athletic Department and school of Music.

One thing I do know about Music school and the band at Louisville it there is a LOT of politics and unneeded DRAMA that goes along with it. I have been gone since 2002 but from 1996 till then I had a cousin, and three of my very good friends as members of the band and Drama was the word I most associate with it. And after the West Virgina game fiasco I can imagine that there is a reason why they are tweaking Byrnes buttons. DO not get me wrong, I am not supporting what is going on here at all, I just think the Athletics Department is trying to assert themselves as the ones in charge of the sporting events including the band. I imagine that they are going to take things in less of a musical education experience and more into an entertainment and building up the crowd experience that can play whatever they want when they want reguardless of other competing schedules. The way to do that is to remove the educational component and variable from the situation. If they do that then they control the itinary with no Drama from the Music school about who controls what, when, who and where.

They can't do it to the Marching band but they can do it to the Pep band.

So while it is wrong, I would still step back and look at it like this, it will likely still be fun, and rewarding and it will be a change from Marching band. Besides with alumni involved you could do some networking and that is very important. So if I were in the band or from my perspective as a fan I am going to sit back and see how it all shakes out before I swear it off completely.

I wish they would do something with KY's pep band and song selection!

Heh.......you're one of thousands who have the same wish. Since the pep band moved from center court and reduced it's numbers practically in half, you can hardly hear them in Rupp anymore, especially if you're behind them. And the song selection is vastly outdated. They're still playing the same old stuff they played 5+ years ago.

The athletic department at Louisville doesn't really have to care about the students because the students don't really care themselves. The only thing more difficult at Freedom Hall than trying to find the student section is trying to find Derek Character.

Before I completely flip out on you about the bolded part, Im going to let you explain what you mean, because surely Im misreading it...

I've heard the UL band a couple of times this year and didn't see a problem. I don't understand why they would do something like this. I agree several of the posts, that the college pep band should be made up of students. I could see bringing alumni back if there wasn't enough interest from the students, but theres no problem. I wish the pep band and its members lots of luck and hope that the U of L administration opens its eyes before next year and changes their minds.

Before I completely flip out on you about the bolded part, Im going to let you explain what you mean, because surely Im misreading it...
For real.

Maybe it would be easier to find the student section if they didn't try to hide it like a demented uncle.

I was about to type almost the exact same thing (good thing I read through). Please elaborate Getslow.

They give the students bad seats, it is not like that is a secret guys, they always have and the limit the student section to like 600 tickets counting the L raisers and the band in that number. I understand what Getslow is saying, I have complained about that for years, hopefully at the new Areana they will allot more student tickets. The students that get to go do a great job (ALWAYS have) but there just aren't enough of them.

I could be wrong, but I think UK may, or at one point did, have Alumni members in their basketball band.

UK has an active alumni band. They play at b-ball games when the students are on X-mas or spring break or when the b-ball & football teams are both playing the same weekend. They also play for the women's b-ball team and other sports events. I guess you could say they are there for back up at any time.

Deuce since they came up with this brilliant idea :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I think they should allow this to happen for ther cheerleaders too. I would really like to be a UofL Cheerleader! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Hey...Not gonna lie, you are much more attractive than some of the girls that have been on the squad...We used to call one of them "The Gremlin."

:lol: