Boyle County Basketball/Football question

52 minutes ago, DearToday said:

So making kids stronger, faster, and more athletic doesn't help with basketball.. noted. 

Proper preseason and in-season strength training does help with basketball.  It has to be done with consideration for the fatigue accumulated due to games and practices.  That is a far cry from what this is.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I believe these two posts go together.  Thanks @DearToday, that is exactly how I think it should be on gameday.

@okie1, what are you suggesting? 

The body is a system...if it gets used to working out during any "season" it function better staying in that routine.  Where you get into problems is if you take periods of time off and/or on.  

33 minutes ago, 24Rocks said:

Proper preseason and in-season strength training does help with basketball.  It has to be done with consideration for the fatigue accumulated due to games and practices.  That is a far cry from what this is.  

Rest is important, but these are 15-19 year old young men.  A workout in the morning, won't have a ton of bearing 12 hours later from a fatigue stand point.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, okie1 said:

The body is a system...if it gets used to working out during any "season" it function better staying in that routine.  Where you get into problems is if you take periods of time off and/or on.  

I agree the body is a system and we need to be consistent with our routines. 

31 minutes ago, okie1 said:

Rest is important, but these are 15-19 year old young men.  A workout in the morning, won't have a ton of bearing 12 hours later from a fatigue stand point.

I look at this different, while an early workout may not have a ton of bearing on someone's system, it will have a bearing so I think exactly what @DearToday described is what should be done.  In that case everyone stays consistent only some workouts in the morning are heavy workouts and some workouts in the morning are a light prep for a game later in the day. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theguru said:

I look at this different, while an early workout may not have a ton of bearing on someone's system, it will have a bearing so I think exactly what @DearToday described is what should be done.  In that case everyone stays consistent only some workouts in the morning are heavy workouts and some workouts in the morning are a light prep for a game later in the day. 

I would say the football coaches want to see the basketball team do well and win. I highly doubt they're going to put those kids through something that is going to hinder them in their games. If you look up Coach Haddix's Facebook or Twitter, you can see he promotes the kid and shows videos of them getting extra shots up in the morning on game days. 

Just now, DearToday said:

I would say the football coaches want to see the basketball team do well and win. I highly doubt they're going to put those kids through something that is going to hinder them in their games. If you look up Coach Haddix's Facebook or Twitter, you can see he promotes the kid and shows videos of them getting extra shots up in the morning on game days. 

You are preaching to the converted. 

• Haha 1

I think there is no issue at all as long as the football and basketball coach are communicating.  I know some programs this is not the case. Football workout programs and basketball workout programs can look completely different.

Also, is the Boyle basketball team not doing their own in season lifting? If so, then I see no reason why the basketball guys need to be going to football workouts too. 

I remember Larry Bird used to run steps and laps at whatever arena they were at before the games. Seemed to work ok for him. I'd be curious to what an NBA or college weight program is in-season. If the coaches are on the same page, honestly, then why is there an issue?

22 hours ago, DearToday said:

On days there are big basketball games the kids stretch and then shoot around while the rest of the team works out. 

The kids have zero problems with it. Last year Boyle lost in the region on an off shooting night, and didn’t have many shooters as is. Year before they lost a PC team that lost region off a buzzer beater. Year before that they lost in the elite 8 at state. Doesn’t seem to be too big a problem.

22 hours ago, CAT DIESEL POWER said:

The biggest contributors to the BC basketball program are the football players. They don’t complain and BC has had great basketball teams. All the great basketball teams that they have had came during its football success. The early morning workout program has been going on since the late 90s. Anyone who thinks this is causing problems for the basketball team knows nothing about Boyle county athletics.

Boyle is 21-26 since the beginning of last season, and lost in the first round of the region last year.  I wonder if what has worked in the past with their football athletes just doesn't work with the current crop?  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Boyle is 21-26 since the beginning of last season, and lost in the first round of the region last year.  I wonder if what has worked in the past with their football athletes just doesn't work with the current crop?  

As a guy who follows the 12th region closely, I can tell you that Boyle’s football conditioning is not to blame for their sub .500 record over the past 2 years. It really only has a potentially negative impact for about 7-10 days in early January. Maybe.

I do agree with what someone said above. It’s more about getting used to it. I’d say there’s a period in early January (when this all starts) during which the players are going to be sore and “dead legged.” But, as also said above, this has been going on for years. Since the basketball staff knows it’s coming, if they’re concerned about a negative impact (and I’m not saying they are), it seems they could have their guys easing into some lifting during the couple weeks (Christmas break) leading up to the start of of the football lifting. Issue avoided.

Also, no one is talking about the good it does for these kids and, as a result, the basketball team. Every basketball player that plays football is getting stronger, quicker and faster over their 4 year career. Heck, if I were coaching basketball at Boyle, I’d be asking if my non-football guys could also work out and lift with the football team.

• Like 1

I would be curious to know how many basketball teams in the 12th region aren’t lifting during the season. I just assumed it was the norm these days for athletes to lift during season. However, I also assumed basketball coaches ran their own workouts. 

I personally have no problem with it if as some has explained that the basketball players do not lift on their game days is fine.

I do have one question however is this same thing reciprocated for the basketball team during football season, in that I am asking are football players who also play basketball allowed to go to say open gyms or other basketball activities on non-game days? If so that is good if not as a basketball coach I would then have an issue with it if it's only a one way street.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 24Rocks said:

Just curious, how do you know exactly "what this is"...