Open Job: Alabama (Next Coach)

Jumper_Dad

Dabo would be the favorite IMO. I think the fact that Clemson hasn’t been as good last few years, actually increases the chances. If Clemson was still competing for titles and always in the playoffs, then I don’t think he would leave. 

Mike Vrabel is a person that could be a surprise hire for the job. He has some experience coaching in college, players like him. Could be an interesting fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I don't know why he is other than he went to Alabama. He hates NIL, hates the portal and taking transfers. Was lucky to keep all of his key assistants together and put together a very strong run. As assistants have left the losses keep creeping up.

Dabo needs to milk his time at Clemson and the ACC, for everything he can get out of it.

By no means am I a Dabo homer, but there are two programs that have won at least 9 games/yr for the last 13-15.

Bama & Clemson

Saban & Dabo

Their "fall off" as some would call it has also been attributed to the fact he had two QB's back to back that were among the elite in the college game, with Trevor Lawrence arguably being the best in his time there amongst all.

Those guys matter just a little bit, just ask Hoodie in New England. 🤣

19 minutes ago, Calico Jack said:

By no means am I a Dabo homer, but there are two programs that have won at least 9 games/yr for the last 13-15.

Bama & Clemson

Saban & Dabo

Their "fall off" as some would call it has also been attributed to the fact he had two QB's back to back that were among the elite in the college game, with Trevor Lawrence arguably being the best in his time there amongst all.

Those guys matter just a little bit, just ask Hoodie in New England. 🤣

That's my point, without all-time great QBs they've came back to the pack. Losing key coordinators has hurt also.

Saban loses coordinators almost yearly and carries on. Has won titles with Heisman level QBs and game managers. Without the QBs and his longtime assistants, Dabo drops off. 

Just my opinion but he caught lightning in a bottle and will not consistently win at that level again. 

4 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm thinking Kiffen is high on the list. Kirby ain't coming. Dabo not as hot as he looked 4 years ago.

Who else will be considered?

Kiffen has the personality/ego along with the healthy amount of not give a 💩 (in terms of Lane is going to Lane. Like me or don't like me) to take it. Kirby isn't coming, you're right.

Call me crazy, and I'll call myself crazy if I'm wrong, but I don't think this job is going to be as desired as the majority think.

For starters, where in the history of sports does this end well for the next coach, let alone in today's day and age? The absolute only one I can think of is when Joe B. took over for Coach Rupp, but had that been today's world? With two of his 1st four season's either being .500 and/or no tourney birth? Fired wouldn't be a shock (sad to say, nonetheless). 

I think guys like Kiffin and Kirby are going to look at where they are, what they are getting paid and the chance to maybe do (or close) what Saban has done, but at their current school(s). Obviously, Kirby is on his way. The same can be said for Dabo.

Who will it be? No clue. But I think it will end up being somebody out of left field for the majority of thinking, yet someone connected either directly to coaching alongside Saban or part of his extended tree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

That's my point, without all-time great QBs they've came back to the pack. Losing key coordinators has hurt also.

Saban loses coordinators almost yearly and carries on. Has won titles with Heisman level QBs and game managers. Without the QBs and his longtime assistants, Dabo drops off. 

Just my opinion but he caught lightning in a bottle and will not consistently win at that level again. 

Absolutely. That's why he's the bonafide GOAT, which, if I'm Alabama and I'm obviously not, nor could imagine NOT thinking this way....but, if they compare the next hire as looking for the "closest to Nick", then I think they are going to set themselves up for some huge disappointment.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Dabo would be the favorite IMO. I think the fact that Clemson hasn’t been as good last few years, actually increases the chances. If Clemson was still competing for titles and always in the playoffs, then I don’t think he would leave. 

Mike Vrabel is a person that could be a surprise hire for the job. He has some experience coaching in college, players like him. Could be an interesting fit. 

Vrabel is going to New England.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

From what I am reading and hearing, I am starting to think Dan Lanning.

Agreed, that's who I would guess right now given the information out there.

• mcpapa locked this topic