What's going on at Pulaski County?

TylerDurden

I hope I'm doing this right to get the video to go.

This is getting a lot of talk on FB in the Pulaski Co football community. It's from the Maroons football banquet. Good number of folks feel like this was coach Hines taking the opportunity to pat hisself on the back up at the podium and completely ignore all his players. Alot of people mentioned that he completely disregards mention of the Andrew Dodson, the player who died during spring practice this past April.

Sounds to me like there's got to be a lot of drama going on for a coach to come out like this and directly address all of the players and their parents right to their faces. Not sure if it's the right time and place though. I guess my first thought is to wonder whether or not this 3 minutes was all that coach Hines spoke during the whole banquet. Then also I guess I wonder if this might actually be something that needs to be said, regardless of whether or not the reception to the statement was very friendly.

So what's going on at Pulaski?

Pulaski County has lost 6 in a row, and 8 out of the last 9 to Southwestern.  That can't have the parents/boosters happy.  To exacerbate things, when Johnny Hines resigned a few years back to take a job at Georgetown, a large percentage of Pulaski supporters wanted Jason Foley to take his place.  Hines decided to come back to Pulaski and Foley ended up at Southwestern.  Since then the Warriors have owned the Maroons.

There also appears to be a huge division between supporters of the high school coach and the middle school coach. 

Someone recently told me a big frustration is that the Pulaski Middle School program (Northern) hasn't lost to the Southwestern Middle School (Southern) in years. However when those kids move up to high school, they've lost the last 6 in a row as Carl said.

Something ironic about that speech:  He tells the parents and players that if they don't like the way he does things to go somewhere else and he wishes them the best.  But if any athlete tries to transfer from Pulaski, the administration fights their eligibility every step of the way.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Something ironic about that speech:  He tells the parents and players that if they don't like the way he does things to go somewhere else and he wishes them the best.  But if any athlete tries to transfer from Pulaski, the administration fights their eligibility every step of the way.  

I've had a couple of folks private messaging me about this, and that was actually my biggest takeaway.

From a PM I just sent about 10 minutes ago: "I did think his comment about 'if you really are that upset about it all, take your son and go where you need to go, and I wish you the best,' was pretty interesting, considering Pulaski's reputation for fighting tooth and nail against the athletic eligibility of basically any and all kids who leave their high school for any reason."

• Like 1

The lack of applause when he talks about their 2014 State Championship is really telling to me.  Heck, one person tried to start it, and then was like, oh whatever, forget it, and gave up.

I'm sure he said a lot of other things in the course of the evening, I hope, but I'm not sure I would have ended the banquet with this monologue.  

Complete side-note:  his 5% of schools in the country will ever win a state championship seems like a random, and likely made up, measuring stick.  His comment about one of 10 in KY to make 4 straight was actually on the mark, in my opinion, but the 5% national number just seems unnecessary, and unsubstantiated.  Certainly not every program in every state is supported and funded the same way either, so I'd have left that nugget out.

Honestly dislike social media and what's wrong with this era. You take one clip and spin it how you want to. There could have been more said or this could have been taken out of context. Coach Hines has been around long enough to know how to run a program. Obviously the results are not as they want right now and I'm sure coaches, athletes, and parents are all frustrated. Find a better way than exploiting him in a 3 min clip.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Anybody ever been to a sports banquet where the head coach only spoke for 3 minutes and 6 seconds? I sure as hell haven't. I can't imagine that Coach Hines didn't do more speaking about the team at other points during the banquet.

Agreed that this can't be the only thing said by coach Hines at the banquet. Was told these were his closing remarks at the banquet. But he also evidently managed to go the entire banquet without making one remark to honor Andrew Dodson, his player and the teammate of all the players present who died in Spring practice. Seems like a particularly bad look when he can deliver a 3 minute lecture about how he and his coaching staff deserve everyone's support or else they're being a cancer and should hit the bricks, yet he can't find the time to mention a fallen player.

Saw on FB where the people running middle school program commented on how disgraceful it was that coach Hines didn't honor Andrew Dodson at his banquet, yet they did honor him on the middle school level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

Nail on the head.

1 hour ago, FrankNicodemus said:

That was just cringe worthy.....I am thinking he might have had a meeting shortly after that from the AD or administration or both!  At least I would hope so......

The Superintendent of Pulaski County Schools has a son on the team.  So he definitely was party to the whole thing.  We'll see pretty quickly what kind of man he is. 

1 hour ago, Hard Work said:

Honestly dislike social media and what's wrong with this era. You take one clip and spin it how you want to. There could have been more said or this could have been taken out of context. Coach Hines has been around long enough to know how to run a program. Obviously the results are not as they want right now and I'm sure coaches, athletes, and parents are all frustrated. Find a better way than exploiting him in a 3 min 

1 hour ago, Hard Work said:

Honestly dislike social media and what's wrong with this era. You take one clip and spin it how you want to. There could have been more said or this could have been taken out of context. Coach Hines has been around long enough to know how to run a program. Obviously the results are not as they want right now and I'm sure coaches, athletes, and parents are all frustrated. Find a better way than exploiting him in a 3 min clip.

You make a good point about how easy it is to use social media to spin a story a certain way without context, but 3 minutes of uninterrupted talking is a long time. Do you have any insight or context that could make this video look a different way?