If you could change one thing about Kentucky High School Football what would it be?

theguru

I have some random thoughts:

1. Dump our current RPI for Calpreps.  Calpreps is clearly superior and comprehensive.

2. Reduce the number of classifications.  We are seeing more and more there are a few good teams at the top of each class and then teams that have no chance.

3. Reduce the amount of teams that get in the playoffs by 50%.  Way too many teams get in the playoffs.

4. Allow one transfer with no restrictions.

5. Move the State Championships back to Thanksgiving weekend. 

Would you choose any of those?  Something else?

• Like 12

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

1. Dump our current RPI for Calpreps.  Calpreps is clearly superior and comprehensive.

2. Reduce the number of classifications.  We are seeing more and more there are a few good teams at the top of each class and then teams that have no chance.

3. Reduce the amount of teams that get in the playoffs by 50%.  Way too many teams get in the playoffs.

5. Move the State Championships back to Thanksgiving weekend. 

Those 2 and tinker with the running clock or a mercy rule.    If there's a running clock before half, third and 4th quarters are only 6 or 8 minutes.    No need for a team with a running clock on them to lose by 60+

• Like 1

First two things that came to mind when I just saw this topic before I clicked on it to see what you said was your number 1 and 2. RPI just seems lazily put together and I would think almost everyone could agree that it is not accurate or fair in a lot of cases. And ever since they went to 6 classes in 2007 I’ve always thought that was a bad idea.

• Like 2

The ONLY reason I am against #3, and this may seem goofy to most people, is the fact that Kentucky has 3 schools in the top 5 nationally in all time wins and I would like to see those teams stay there so more games equals more opportunities for wins to stay atop the list.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Astro Domino said:

The ONLY reason I am against #3, and this may seem goofy to most people, is the fact that Kentucky has 3 schools in the top 5 nationally in all time wins and I would like to see those teams stay there so more games equals more opportunities for wins to stay atop the list.

Totally understandable but that sounds like artificial sweetener to me. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, theguru said:

5.  Move the State Championships back to Thanksgiving weekend. 

I'm for all of these suggestions. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

Totally understandable but that sounds like artificial sweetener to me. 

I can’t disagree with that. But a lot of other states have 5 rounds in the playoffs so our teams wouldn’t be able to keep up. My solution to less teams making the playoffs goes back to your point #2. With only 4 classes there would be less teams in the playoffs across the state. I just still can’t believe they ever thought that it was necessary to have more than 4 classes in Kentucky.

• Like 1

Love 1,2 and 3, not opposed to 4 and haven’t been in the position to feel any type of way about #5. 

The one that stuck out to me the most is #3, hypothetically speaking if the 6 class format was still intact, only advancing the district winner and runner up would be awesome. I’ll use an example a decade ago, Caverna the undeserving 0-10 4 seed went to 10-0 Mayfield R1 of the playoffs and it was a running clock 1Q through the game, waste of time and money for a trip that’s outcome was already determined. But with that being said, I’d only be in favor of a condensed playoff if we still ran 6 classes.

#2 I’m interested in your opinion where to go if you do decide to throw away the 6 classes, do you go back to four or do you have a split in the private/public schools?

2 minutes ago, Astro Domino said:

I can’t disagree with that. But a lot of other states have 5 rounds in the playoffs so our teams wouldn’t be able to keep up. My solution to less teams making the playoffs goes back to your point #2. With only 4 classes there would be less teams in the playoffs across the state. I just still can’t believe they ever thought that it was necessary to have more than 4 classes in Kentucky.

I wonder how many teams those states have in each class, I assume it is many, many more than we have in Kentucky. 

On the expansion, my memory is foggy but I thought it was because the coaches/schools wanted more classes and more playoffs.  I think it was a sign of everyone gets a trophy and coaches get to pad their resume culture invading Kentucky High School Football. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, TheBallCoach said:

Love 1,2 and 3, not opposed to 4 and haven’t been in the position to feel any type of way about #5. 

The one that stuck out to me the most is #3, hypothetically speaking if the 6 class format was still intact, only advancing the district winner and runner up would be awesome. I’ll use an example a decade ago, Caverna the undeserving 0-10 4 seed went to 10-0 Mayfield R1 of the playoffs and it was a running clock 1Q through the game, waste of time and money for a trip that’s outcome was already determined. But with that being said, I’d only be in favor of a condensed playoff if we still ran 6 classes.

#2 I’m interested in your opinion where to go if you do decide to throw away the 6 classes, do you go back to four or do you have a split in the private/public schools?

No split of public/private schools.  There are only a handful of private schools playing football (of all different sizes) which makes this idea a non-starter in Kentucky and the KHSAA rules are the same for every school so when public school people start crying I tell them to look in the mirror and get better. 

On classes, I have always been for very small 1A and 6A classifications.  Something like the bottom 16 by enrollment in 1A and the top 16 by enrollment in 6A.  Then for argument's sake, three additional classes evenly spread out by enrollment. 

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

I've never been a fan of having six classes and wish we'd get back to four.  Even going to five would be an improvement.

I would be all in on five classes if the KHSAA reduced the number of teams in 1A and 5A in this scenario. 

• Like 4

I'm on board with all these. We went 3-7 my senior year (3rd place in the district) and won our first round playoff game by a comfortable margin over a softer sister district team. That being said, we shouldn't have made the playoffs. Sometimes you finish in the top 2 and sometimes you don't, that breeds competition and makes coaches work that much harder to try to out coach the other team. I'd rather see the old 4 class system but can get on board with 5 classes if the suggestions before are part of the deal.

• Like 3