If you could change one thing about Kentucky High School Football what would it be?

theguru

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I wonder how many teams those states have in each class, I assume it is many, many more than we have in Kentucky. 

On the expansion, my memory is foggy but I thought it was because the coaches/schools wanted more classes and more playoffs.  I think it was a sign of everyone gets a trophy and coaches get to pad their resume culture invading Kentucky High School Football. 

Indiana has 317 teams that play football spread out over 6 classes.  Their top class, 6A, has 32 teams just like KY, however they start their 6A playoffs a week later than their other 5 classes, but they all end at Lucas Oil on the same weekend.

• Thanks 1

I have no problem with all 5 suggestions, but I would also throw in something else.  I would eliminate districts & find another way to determine playoffs.  I like the idea of conferences like Indiana has, where teams can be in the same conference but different classes.  I don’t necessarily like their blind tournament draw for their sectionals though. For the most part, districts in football just aren’t competitive overall, especially in the lower classes.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

I'm on board with all these. We went 3-7 my senior year (3rd place in the district) and won our first round playoff game by a comfortable margin over a softer sister district team. That being said, we shouldn't have made the playoffs. Sometimes you finish in the top 2 and sometimes you don't, that breeds competition and makes coaches work that much harder to try to out coach the other team. I'd rather see the old 4 class system but can get on board with 5 classes if the suggestions before are part of the deal.

Heck Cov Cath played a 0-10 team in the first round of the playoffs in 1993. I can’t remember the team they played.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I wonder how many teams those states have in each class, I assume it is many, many more than we have in Kentucky. 

On the expansion, my memory is foggy but I thought it was because the coaches/schools wanted more classes and more playoffs.  I think it was a sign of everyone gets a trophy and coaches get to pad their resume culture invading Kentucky High School Football. 

Tennessee has Six Classes in D1 (Public) with a total of 298 teams.  Five rounds of Playoffs.

6A  52 (including three 5A teams "playing up")

5A  47

4A  48

3A  50

2A  51

A  50

Three Classes in D2 (Private) with a total of 49 teams.  Four rounds of Playoffs.

3A  11

2A  21

A  17

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I have no problem with all 5 suggestions, but I would also throw in something else.  I would eliminate districts & find another way to determine playoffs.  I like the idea of conferences like Indiana has, where teams can be in the same conference but different classes.  I don’t necessarily like their blind tournament draw for their sectionals though. For the most part, districts in football just aren’t competitive overall, especially in the lower classes.

This! Get rid of districts and let schools form their own league/conferences. Then use a system maybe similar to Ohio to determine who makes it in. The elimination of districts could solve a number of issues. 

1 hour ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Indiana has 317 teams that play football spread out over 6 classes.  Their top class, 6A, has 32 teams just like KY, however they start their 6A playoffs a week later than their other 5 classes, but they all end at Lucas Oil on the same weekend.

The Hoosier high schools also play a 9 game regular season. Those 1A-5A playoffs start this weekend. Can't encroach to much into hoops season ...

1 hour ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Heck Cov Cath played a 0-10 team in the first round of the playoffs in 1993. I can’t remember the team they played.

Not saying it hasn't happened, just not in '93. ... Mr. C_W_B, please pickup the white courtesy phone ... 

1993 AAA Playoffs - Round 1

Screenshot_20231016-194004__01.jpg

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, theguru said:

I have some random thoughts:

1. Dump our current RPI for Calpreps.  Calpreps is clearly superior and comprehensive.

2. Reduce the number of classifications.  We are seeing more and more there are a few good teams at the top of each class and then teams that have no chance.

3. Reduce the amount of teams that get in the playoffs by 50%.  Way too many teams get in the playoffs.

4. Allow one transfer with no restrictions.

5. Move the State Championships back to Thanksgiving weekend. 

Would you choose any of those?  Something else?

When was the last time it was on Thanksgiving weekend?

Correct me if I’m wrong, which I probably will be. But didn’t the expansion come with the idea it would entice non football schools to start programs because the competition would be spread out enough the start ups would have a quicker path to success? I’d like to know how many schools started football after the expansion and how many have been consolidated or stopped playing.