If you could change one thing about Kentucky High School Football what would it be?

theguru

5 hours ago, theguru said:

On the expansion, my memory is foggy but I thought it was because the coaches/schools wanted more classes and more playoffs.  I think it was a sign of everyone gets a trophy and coaches get to pad their resume culture invading Kentucky High School Football. 

Your memory is crystal clear here on this point. I think you've got a good idea as to another "selling point" too.

2 hours ago, Runcible Owl said:

Not saying it hasn't happened, just not in '93. ... Mr. C_W_B, please pickup the white courtesy phone ... 

1993 AAA Playoffs - Round 1

Screenshot_20231016-194004__01.jpg

Dang I was wrong. I thought for sure MC Couhty was winless. I could be wrong but I thought for sure  Cov Cath has played a winless team in the 1st round of the playoffs but the Cov Cath faintful can answer that question. 

23 minutes ago, newarkcatholicfan said:

Get rid of the bye week.

That could happen if we went back to four classes with more guaranteed (5-8) District games. 

Presently, doesn't a bye week give everyone more flexibility in scheduling? Some teams are finding it difficult to find a full ten game slate now. A bye week at least allows the possibility of finding a replacement game for a cancellation/forfeit.

• Like 1

1. Move the state championships back to WKU. Kroger field is awful. 

2. Two teams per district make the playoffs but all teams not making the playoffs may schedule one more game with one another and split the gate. 

3. Bring back the shimmel jersey with cowboy collars! 

4. Add a week to the Dead Period… switch acclimation to 5 helmet, 5 Shells, then Full gear. 

9 hours ago, theguru said:

I have some random thoughts:

1. Dump our current RPI for Calpreps.  Calpreps is clearly superior and comprehensive.

2. Reduce the number of classifications.  We are seeing more and more there are a few good teams at the top of each class and then teams that have no chance.

3. Reduce the amount of teams that get in the playoffs by 50%.  Way too many teams get in the playoffs.

4. Allow one transfer with no restrictions.

5. Move the State Championships back to Thanksgiving weekend. 

Would you choose any of those?  Something else?

This!!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VF111 said:

2. Two teams per district make the playoffs but all teams not making the playoffs may schedule one more game with one another and split the gate. 

4. Add a week to the Dead Period… switch acclimation to 5 helmet, 5 Shells, then Full gear. 

#1 is a must. Had the pleasure to go a couple times and the atmosphere is night and day better at Western.

• Like 3

1. Find an 7,000 seat stadium and give each school 3,500 tickets, ensuring that all games would be near capacity or sell outs. Empty seats in the stands just ruin the games and make them unenjoyable for the fans.

2. Go all the way back to 3 classes. It would be fun watching the smaller schools in each class play schools more than twice their size in the playoffs.

3. Put a committee together to select playoff teams. We all know that 9-1 or 8-2 school that didn't play anyone, they don't deserve to be in. Committee could use computer rankings, RPI, preseason polls and recent history to select top 4 teams in each class and tell everyone else to pound sand.

4. Chris Stapleton or Jack Harlow concerts at half-time of all championship games. Current half times are so boring, got to spice them up.

TIC

• Haha 1

Now to be serious...

I don't see what is so wrong with high school football in Kentucky. Our issues have more to do with the way our population is spread across the state and the number of schools than anything. At this point there are only a handful of schools left that could be consolidated and that wouldn't really fix any of the issues most have.

We have 6 classes due to trying to keep enrollment sizes in each class reasonable. 

1A male enrollment is from 84 to 189

2A is 191 to 302

3A is 306 to 410

4A is 414 to 524

5A is 527 to 737

6A is 754 to 1192

• Like 2

My fix-it list is much shorter.

1. KHSAA needs to forget the few dollars made from streaming the games. Work to get a title sponsor to pay for production and put all state finals on KET as well as the Sweet 16. It's hard for most people to get excited for something they never see. Bring those games to the masses and I think overall excitement for both sports would grow across the state

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, VF111 said:

No doubt WKU is a much better fit for the state championships and UK hosting them is just a terrible fan experience. BUT WKU apparently doesn't want the state championship at their facility.