If you could change one thing about Kentucky High School Football what would it be?

theguru

14 minutes ago, En Fuego Hombre said:

On missed field goal tries, bring the ball back to the previous spot regardless of where it lands, instead of being a touchback if the kick crosses the goal line.  A missed long field goal attempt should not be rewarded with a touchback.

I understand this, but really, not enough teams are attempting long field goals often enough that changing this NFHS rule would make KY high school football better or more entertaining to watch.

9 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

I understand this, but really, not enough teams are attempting long field goals often enough that changing this NFHS rule would make KY high school football better or more entertaining to watch.

Are not the goal posts widths different between HS and College with College having the uprights closer together?  I always felt that this was odd come playoff time and affected too many games.  But it is not like many stadiums have a spare set of HS regulation uprights lying around to switch out to.

Going to a five class system. Not sure if I think four would be better or not again. Between the bigger schools and growth with newer additions and more to possibly come is the reason I would say five. Six is far too much. I get that things are the way they are now and that things like redistricting happens, but this would eliminate some problems. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jason Bucklen said:

Dang I was wrong. I thought for sure MC Couhty was winless. I could be wrong but I thought for sure  Cov Cath has played a winless team in the 1st round of the playoffs but the Cov Cath faintful can answer that question. 

Could it have been 1992 1st round matchup against Greenup Co.? I could be wrong, but I think we played Greenup, Holmes, and Highlands in the first three rounds of the 92 playoffs. 

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: changing the playoffs to make RPI (or Calpreps) statewide begining of the 3rd round, OR keeping it east/west in the Semifinals round. I don't like the current setup of reseeding in Round 4.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, burreaux said:

Something that hasn't been mentioned yet: changing the playoffs to make RPI (or Calpreps) statewide begining of the 3rd round, OR keeping it east/west in the Semifinals round. I don't like the current setup of reseeding in Round 4.

A couple of people mentioned doing away with districts and I agree.  Play whoever you want during the regular season, let Calpreps decide the class rankings, and then 1 plays 32, 2 plays 31, and so on.  

I don't want to hear about travel in the playoffs either.  By doing away with districts you can do away with all the stupid travel forced on these schools where they lose money.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, theguru said:

A couple of people mentioned doing away with districts and I agree.  Play whoever you want during the regular season, let Calpreps decide the class rankings, and then 1 plays 32, 2 plays 31, and so on.  

I don't want to hear about travel in the playoffs either.  By doing away with districts you can do away with all the stupid travel forced on these schools where they lose money.

I like keeping the districts and sister districts the way they are now. That provides a good compromise of keeping travel distances down for games that are unlikely to be competitive and still making sure we usually get the best 8 teams left in the 3rd.

4 minutes ago, burreaux said:

I like keeping the districts and sister districts the way they are now. That provides a good compromise of keeping travel distances down for games that are unlikely to be competitive and still making sure we usually get the best 8 teams left in the 3rd.

I am much more concerned in with all the regular season travel and being forced to play certain teams than maybe a couple of long trips in the playoffs.   

2 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

Could it have been 1992 1st round matchup against Greenup Co.? I could be wrong, but I think we played Greenup, Holmes, and Highlands in the first three rounds of the 92 playoffs. 

That's what I was thinking, Greenup County was 0-10 in the first round of 1992 playoff. 

4 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

1 hour ago, bluecolonels95 said:

That's what I was thinking, Greenup County was 0-10 in the first round of 1992 playoff. 

📰 1991 ~ AAA Round 1: Region 3 [Sat., Nov. 9] Greenup County (0-10) at Covington Catholic (6-4).

(Courier-Journal - 11/10, p. C 13) 

Screenshot_20231017-175642__01.jpg

Screenshot_20231017-175601__01.jpg